The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#257684 - 03/17/13 02:48 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: JPickett]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Keeping tires at the maximum pressure prolongs the life of the tire and improves road handling.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257688 - 03/17/13 04:24 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Keeping tires at the maximum pressure prolongs the life of the tire and improves road handling.

No, it does not. The tire pressure listed on the tire itself is the maximum pressure that tire is rated for. Keeping the pressure at the maximum may accelerate wear as the tire isn't in the correct shape for that vehicle and the contact patch size will be reduced. Reducing the size of the contact patch will also negatively affect handling.

Sometimes, for short periods, it makes sense to underinflate a tire, so as to increase the size of the contact patch and get unstuck (but only to reinflate them to the correct pressure again immediately). I'm not aware of any time where it makes sense to overinflate a tire.

#257690 - 03/17/13 05:17 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I do not claim to be a tire expert but I knew of someone who is, a person who had been in the tire business since his father owned the shop.

Moreover, "All the proofe of a pudding, is in the eating." I know what nine-year-old tires look like when kept at 35 p.s.i. their entire existence. They maintain an even tread.

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (03/17/13 05:22 PM)

#257691 - 03/17/13 11:08 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: JPickett]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: JPickett
The pressure on the tire is the maximum pressure the tire is designed for. The pressure on the door frame is the correct pressure for any appropriate tire on that vehicle.

Stamp indicates pressure for cold/ambient temperature and even that only applies to the OEM tires. If you replace with the same tire size/group the pressure stamp should still be correct. Running pressure will normally be several pounds higher. Mine is stamped at 30psi for OEM, but I always keep my replacement tires at 32 because most of my mileage is commuting. My low-pressure sensors kick in at 26 psi.

Not sure what this has to do with the original thread title, perhaps everyone decided to go "off-road"? smile

#257692 - 03/17/13 11:24 PM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Chisel]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
A bit lengthy film.
One character coud have been deleted ( along with 30 minutes of the movie).
But all in all , a great movie IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckycTnWPRt8

Do you recommend a movie ???

Category 6: Day of Destruction (2-part TV mini-series)
When I first heard the title when it came out all I could think of was that it must be more sensationalist schlock coming on the heels of another "scientific" effort by Roland Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow). After watching it I wasn't too far off my original guess but the show is OK if you just need to fill time and didn't need to use your brain for a while. Since it was filmed in Winnipeg, I recognized a lot of the Canadian actors filling in for Americans. I had just gotten out of working in the film industry. Not long after this movie came out, an F5 tornado ripped through Elie, MB. which kinda brought home the message.

#257697 - 03/18/13 01:54 AM Re: I recommend this movie [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
While many of us think of emergencies occurring in wildlands, the fact is that all, or nearly all of us live in fairly settled environments. So when a problem arises, we are likely to be in an urban, or semi-urban situation. The open country, classic SoCal chaparral (extremely flammable) near my home has burned twice in the more than twenty years I have lived here, and each time my wife and I have activated our disaster plan and loaded up the van, ready to move and embark on an impromptu camping trip. By now, with a lot of experience in the outdoors, I am generally fairly well equipped and trained; my chances of avoiding a problem are thereby enhanced.

Perhaps the one advantage of being used to the outdoors is that many disaster scenarios will resemble just another outdoors excursion with the gear with which you are already familiar.

I am not a knuckle dragging Neanderthal, although I must admit that my knuckles do have some suspiciously thick calluses. I really do prefer an upright posture, just like that of my mommy and daddy....

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.