The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#257446 - 03/11/13 01:13 AM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Speaking of which, we grabbed some fast food on the way to our motel room. They gave us a plastic fork when a spoon was definitely needed. I'm going back to carrying a SS SPOON as my regular EDC again!!!

#257503 - 03/12/13 02:51 AM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Wow, lotta posts on this!

+1 on the Sea-to-Summit / REI Ti long handled spoons. Shape-wise, they are a significant improvement on the MRE style / Lexan MRE style.

When I'm out, one of those (REI) Ti long handled spoons is in my shirt pocket - on a neck lanyard with a tiny S 'biner.

I use an MSR Ti spoon and fork set every day at work for bkfst and lunch (unless at a business lunch). We really like those sets, but no longer carry them because the long handled Ti spoon is more useful.

The lexan stuff is OK and I used it for years - drilled a hole in the handles for lanyard use / keeping sets together.

Tried a Ti spork on several campouts - whaaat??? Count me in the "hatem" group - sucks for most uses - YMMV. Have seen many "Light My Fire" sporks (foons? those short double-ended things) self destruct in routine use by scouts.

A plain old stainless steel tablespoon works great and they're cheap (Good Will). I used one of those for too many years when I camped with our rich uncle and wouldn't bug me to go back - except I REALLY like those REI / S-t-S long Ti spoons.

I rarely (never) carry a fork these days - spoon + one of my EDC knives. One spoon on me + a spare in the pack if it's an extended trip. IF I'm feeling especially like "gourmet" cooking, I add a bamboo "wooden spoon" kind of thing - rounded on one edge and straight on the other. It works to stir, flip, serve, etc. and is a ton easier to keep clean than a traditional wooden spoon. Cheap, too.

I have no issues with Ti spoon and non-stick coated cookware. It's the operator, not the equipment... with the better grade of coatings. Cheap stuff like the coated cookware patrol cooksets, yeah - I think I could scratch that stuff with a wooden spoon.

I mostly use hard anodized cookware these days (poor man's Ti). Some SS (well, my old style MSR kettle) unless I'm whining about my pack weight. ETA - I don't leave home without a USGI SS canteen cup + type I stove.

Spoon is the indispensable utensil, without a doubt.

#258675 - 04/07/13 02:28 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
I've purchased just about every spork I could find (except the Kung Foon). Here are my thoughts:
http://adventurereports.blogspot.com/2012/12/spork-shootout.html

#258676 - 04/07/13 02:58 PM Re: A spoon [Re: gulliamo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
Sea to Summit Alpha Utensil Set
Wins: 200 grit Ti surface will exfoliate your lips as you eat
Fails: Expensive, heavy (1.3oz), I gave mine away to someone I don't like
Hmmm, the Ti fork & spoon set I use has polished eating surfaces and I prefer them to any spork or foon on the market, in spite of their incredibly heavy 0.53 oz weight wink Since I normally have better knives, I opted to not go with a utensil set that included a Ti knife.

#260274 - 05/04/13 12:53 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Russ: your Montbell set looks quite nice! The polished ends are key and as you pointed out - the knife is redundant.

#260277 - 05/04/13 01:32 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm on the hunt for a long handled spoon for my MH meals. I love my MRE spoon and it's holding up well. Maybe I'll hit a restaurant supply store and see if I can get some more without having to buy more MREs. (Not that I don't like MREs. They just don't fit on the financial priority list right now.)

I was disappointed when I made the trek to Sail and they didn't have any long handled spoons. They've got an MSR fold-up spoon that looks deceptively long, but really isn't, and that's it. They did have a really nice titanium spoon by GSI (I think), with a big bowl that was angled like those Japanese soup spoons, but it was short handled too. frown

I've got a couple ice ice cream sundae spoons that are nice and long, but the bowl of the spoon is too small. I feel like I'm eating one nibble at a time. I can either eat fast like maniac or my food is cold by the time I'm done.

I really want to find one of those Guyot Designs Micro Bites sets. They look sweet, and come in small and long handled versions. We're going to Ottawa next weekend and I'm going to hit the outdoors stores there to see what I can find.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/765204/guyot-designs-microbites-utensils

Edited by bacpacjac (05/04/13 07:23 PM)
Edit Reason: GSI and MSR corrected

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260292 - 05/04/13 05:03 PM Re: A spoon [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL

#260298 - 05/04/13 07:31 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My son has the GSI Stainless 3 piece ring cutlery set. He quite likes it. It fits his small hands perfectly and it's pretty light weight. Same problem with his MH meals though, they're too short and he'd gets messy hands. I've started making him use a cup/bowl to eat out of so he can eat half a meal and I don't have to have Mac n cheese every time. wink

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82088

FWIW, the Coleman meals come in a smaller, more manageable package but they're not as good, IMO. My local Can Tire stopped carrying them anyway and have moved onto MH.

#260299 - 05/04/13 07:41 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've do a LMF plastic spork but it's dedicated to my brew kit. It's too light weight for much if anything but it works well for hot drinks. It's perfect for the brew kit when that's all I'm planning. If I'm going to eat though, I bring along something serious.

#260307 - 05/05/13 02:04 AM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Stamped out stainless steel flatwear is lightweight and cheap. I bought a matching fork and spoon at the Salvation Army store for a nickle apiece. I drilled a hole in the tops and clipped them together with a small carabiner.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.