Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257466 - 03/11/13 06:49 PM Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer)
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Some here may recall that I have a "teardrop trailer" ("6-wide Little Guy") for camping that I keep in storage near the mountains. The manufacturer just sent an e-mail announcing their latest model - the B.O.S.S. (acronym for "Bug Out Survival Shelter").

Thought many here might enjoy it. Here's a link to a YouTube video of it done at an RV show (audio is uneven):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjZZZtsDLfM

Below is the text of what the manufacturer (Little Guy) sent me:

Little Guy's BOSS Camper Wins Award

Talk about the right concept at just the right time! Little Guy's longtime marketing guru Matt Williams made a trip out to Las Vegas a few months ago to check out the 2012 Survival Expo. We've been kicking around the idea of an "Evac Unit" teardrop trailer for five or six years now, but Hurricane Sandy spurred us on to breathe life into this project. Matt met up with Tim Ralston and his team from Gear Up Center, and things came together much more quickly than any of us ever thought possible.

Tim Ralston is the International Spokesperson for The National Geographic Channel's hit television reality show Doomsday Preppers, and he is a longtime survival expert who owns a store in Scottsdale, Arizona.

The BOSS Trailer is based on a Little Guy 6-Wide Rough Rider platform and comes is an extended 36-inch platform, external 66-foot automatically retractable hose reel, gear box, ProRac roof rack, externally mounted propane tanks, sink, stove, and much more. It even has hidden compartments in the floor where you can store gear.

Little Guy is offering this special edition Bug Out Survival Shelter (BOSS) with an expertly assembled complement of survival gear including [i]7-day Tim Ralston Bug Out Bag, medical kit, 3-month supply of 25-year shelf stable food, water treatment supplies, solar panels, solar oven, repelling gear, Crovel, Nax, and much more!
There is simply no other product like this on the market anywhere. This is the ultimate survival camp
er.[/i]

Manufacturer website:
http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/

#257469 - 03/11/13 07:02 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That's cool, Dagny! I wish I could afford one. Maybe some day. Thanks for sharing!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257473 - 03/11/13 08:39 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Whoa! "repelling gear" - Whatever might that be, precisely? One conjures up visions of AK-47s, razor wire, stink bombs, land mines, really bad body odor. The possibilities are vast.

Perhaps the brochure means to indicate "rappelling gear" - the ropes and devices used to descend steep places. If so, mere equipment used only for rappelling is not optimum. You want the sort of stuff that will allow you to ascend, as well as descend, and travel safely with deliberate speed through tricky terrain. That would be better for many survival situations.

Edited by hikermor (03/11/13 11:46 PM)

#257475 - 03/11/13 09:16 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Pardon an iconoclastic view, but it seems more like it is designed for the well-heeled wanna be, but is impracticable.

1) weight: from the video, it seems they are proposing it could be towed by a bicycle, or at least by a bicycle with at power assist with batteries. OK, how much does it weigh, and where are the solar panels to recharge to bicycle batteries? How far can you actually tow it? If you tow it with a car, there are a lot of alternatives, many more practicable.

2) it seems to be set up for 1 person, (the bunk inside) (maybe 2, but not clear).

3)Where are the solar panels to charge the batteries for the lights, even if not the batteries for the tow bike?

4) why do I need a kayak? I can think of a lot of more useful things in a survival situation...

It really seems more a marketing concept than a functional piece of Bug out or equipment . . .

#257476 - 03/11/13 09:20 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The B.O.S.S. teardop is designed to carry a bicycle or Rokon Motorcycle mentioned, it is not designed to be pulled by one.

#257477 - 03/11/13 09:30 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Frankly, I think a smallish pickup truck, loaded with a tent and assorted goodies wouls be more versatile, less cumbersome, and less complicated - all desirable attributes in an emergency.

Other than owning a store, what makes this guy an expert?

#257479 - 03/11/13 09:43 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bws48
Pardon an iconoclastic view, but it seems more like it is designed for the well-heeled wanna be, but is impracticable.

1) weight: from the video, it seems they are proposing it could be towed by a bicycle, or at least by a bicycle with at power assist with batteries. OK, how much does it weigh, and where are the solar panels to recharge to bicycle batteries? How far can you actually tow it? If you tow it with a car, there are a lot of alternatives, many more practicable.

2) it seems to be set up for 1 person, (the bunk inside) (maybe 2, but not clear).

3)Where are the solar panels to charge the batteries for the lights, even if not the batteries for the tow bike?

4) why do I need a kayak? I can think of a lot of more useful things in a survival situation...

It really seems more a marketing concept than a functional piece of Bug out or equipment . . .

Teardrops are actually designed to be an affordable RV option for average people. The most expensive ones around - the Camp Inns - start around $8k and go up to the teens.

They are designed to be pulled by vehicles - there's a hitch receiver on the back of the trailer where a bike rack could transport the bike. A normal 5-wide would weigh around 900-1100 pounds. This is a "5-wide" meaning five feet wide (queen size bed) so sleeps two adults comfortably. I love sleeping in my teardrop (which is 6-wide, a king-size).

For those who love to camp but don't want to deal with a full-size RV or sleeping in a tent, the teardrops are a great compromise.

And, yes, they are terrific options for certain bugging out scenarios such as a hurricane when hotel vacancies may be scarce.

Little Guy is just finally manufacturing from the get-go what many of their customers have done through modifications.

Teardrops have been around for several decades - first becoming popular as do-it-yourself projects during the 1930s Great Depression when people were more apt to move around the nation looking for work. They are still popular do-it-yourself projects.

#257480 - 03/11/13 09:50 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's my teardrop, pulled by a Honda Element.

Attachments
teardrop.jpg

#257482 - 03/11/13 10:20 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Here's my teardrop, pulled by a Honda Element.

That makes absolute sense to me. Maybe I misunderstood the video, but, it sure looked like they had a bicycle or trike hooked up to the front to tow it. The set up you have offers a lot of flexibility; it seems much more practical in almost any situation.

#257483 - 03/11/13 10:44 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, that was not the greatest video. Would have been better to have one of the normal salesmen talk about the teardrop first and not just the accessories.

I'd rather outfit my own. We could come up with a pretty good variation on this forum.

I bought mine stripped down. I put the Owens tool box on the front ad bought my own mattress. I got it without the cabinetry because that stuff weighs a ton and I prefer to cook over the fire or my Weber Smokey Joe.

Will look for more pics of my setup.

People build these things for pretty cheap. The first teardrops were 4' wide because that was the width of a plywood sheet. Nowadays 5' is most common because that's a queen-size bed.

Check out the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers Forum. You can get blueprints here:

http://www.tnttt.com/

#257500 - 03/12/13 02:27 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... a smallish pickup truck, loaded with a tent and assorted goodies would [sic] be ...

I've been curious about this. What would a good choice be for an EXPEDITION quality tent be nowadays? Say for 2-3 persons and another for 4-5 persons, suitable for the coldest weather in the Northeast US?

Conway Yee

#257511 - 03/12/13 06:17 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've wanted a small teardrop trailer for a long time. These "Little Guy" brand ones look very nice. Someday, when I retire, I'll buy one. I know the wife will hate me for it, but I still want one.

It seems funny that they would equip the one shown in the video with those aggressive tread tires. If you're just dragging the thing behind your vehicle, a set of drag racing slicks would probably work just as well. It's not like the trailer needs to gain traction to push something forward. Nor does it need special treads to maintain precise steering control. It's a trailer - it's passive. About the only thing I can imagine you'd need in a trailer tire is puncture resistance and the ability to not overheat at driving speeds. I would also think you'd want the hardest rubber available, for long wear. Seems like you could meet those needs with tires made out of hardened steel. You folks here that are trailer owners - what am I missing? I don't understand the need for aggressive tires on a trailer.

#257514 - 03/12/13 09:36 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
You ever think of writing them back, linking them to your posts here, and start talking about royalties? Or improvements to their concept?

The camper this size makes a lot of sense when you don't have a vehicle with enough space to carry people and gear. Check out some of the trailers on expedition portal, most based off old US trailers.

#257516 - 03/12/13 12:06 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
marketing gimmick IMO.

Bob

#257518 - 03/12/13 12:44 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

My choice would be a North Face VE25. It has long been a standard for climbers on Denali and other severe environments- rated for three persons and four seasons. I slept (well kinda) in a storm with 80 mph winds (on Denali). I later purchased several for a project on the Channel Islands, where they held up to strong winds quite well. This model has no provision for a stove and heat comes from adequate garments.

For a tent with a stove, I would look to Kifaru, but I have no experience with their extremely good (and pricy) products.

Dagny's comment about spending 8 to 12 or so K on a trailer raises the question of allocation of resources. For a budget hovering around 10K, I could fill a small van with adequate, versatile gear that would serve better than a trailer which after all, is confined to roadways. The core would be minimalist hiking/backpacking gear, fleshed out with weightier options. Personally, I would be inclined to throw in a bicycle. If I needed to leave the vehicle, the bike could carry me further with more gear and less effort over paths less travelled, which could be crucial in an emergency. If I had to leave the bike, i would still be a lean and light backpacker, getting 10 to 20 miles per day.

#257524 - 03/12/13 03:31 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I agree the BOSS is a marketing ploy. Rather than having to think and plan, the wanna-be survivalist can just buy a toy and have everything someone else thinks he needs.

I am sorta like Dagny, I would buy a basic model with what I want and retrofit it to suit my needs. Much easier to control weight and space factors.

#257525 - 03/12/13 03:34 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Done my share of RV'ing,love the teardrops.They surely have a place in the market.RV's make awesome bugout homes.BTDT,just a fine option.

#257530 - 03/12/13 04:22 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Buy a tipi or a yurt. I camped out in a 14ft tipi with three other people and a big yellow dog. Lots of room and a fire to boot. Transporting the poles are the biggest drawback to the tipi, though.

#257533 - 03/12/13 07:06 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my house and separate garage are old frame structures dating back to knob and tube wiring...my hurricane evacuation plan is to stay for a CAT 1-3, and evacuate for a 4 or 5 to a relative's place built to post Hurricane Andrew code (about 20mi)...I drive a small two door Explorer with some storage, but plan on pulling a lightweight (Tractor Supply) 8' utility trailer with as much food and equipment as possible.. to make myself self sufficient, and not make myself a burden if possible... additionally to safeguard as much of my physical "wealth" as possible..

a "ridge pole" and supports attached by a couple of "C" clamps, a blue tarp and some mosquito netting, a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the floor, and I should be able to live in the trailer if shelter is not available during the reconstruction of the house..

if I can find a used tarp canopy with metal framework at the right price, one could be cut down to fit... to make a free standing tarp support inside the bed of the trailer... food for thought...it wouldn't wind load for travel, and using the bungee ccords, be pretty wind resistant temporary shelter...

#257540 - 03/12/13 10:37 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The B.O.S.S. is based on this model: Little Guy's off-roader.

Some peops do take their vehicles off the beaten path. The capability to take a trailer along has appeal.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Less elaborate (and lighter) teardrops are being pulled by VW Bugs and other diminutive vehicles. Even just this small taste of the RV lifestyle makes one appreciate how wonderful it can be to be permanently packed (minus food) and able to hitch-and-go for a weekend or to escape some calamity.

I've spent countless weekends in the Shenandoahs - often not even bothering to unhitch at the campground.

Mine is stocked with everything but food and drinks.

If I were proficient at CAD, I'd enjoy a group design session on an ETS teardrop.

#257542 - 03/12/13 11:15 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The appeal of having something ready to go, packed with your necessities and able to provide shelter, that is small and light enough to be pulled by just about any vehicle with a trailer hitch, is not something to ignore. I wish the prices were cheaper though. Or you could find one used for a good price. I'm afraid I am not handy enough to make my own, as many folks apparently do. We have trucks and vans too, but those are used to haul other stuff (and people) around routinely, so they can't be permanently stocked as an "always ready" bug-out-vehicle. One of these little trailers is ideal for that use (other than the cost).

#257565 - 03/13/13 03:30 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: haertig]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
no reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Bob

#257571 - 03/13/13 05:52 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Dagny

The B.O.S.S. is based on this model: Little Guy's off-roader.

Some peops do take their vehicles off the beaten path. The capability to take a trailer along has appeal.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Less elaborate (and lighter) teardrops are being pulled by VW Bugs and other diminutive vehicles. Even just this small taste of the RV lifestyle makes one appreciate how wonderful it can be to be permanently packed (minus food) and able to hitch-and-go for a weekend or to escape some calamity.
-----------------------
ILBob
No reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Plus 2 on the above.That rough rider is awesome!!!!

We were out for a week with a big fire.

Being in the RV meant we had a stove,real one,oven,heat,running hot and cold water,toilet,water proofed,beds,shower,satellite TV even. While others shivered in freezing rain (which is what finally put out the fires),in mud,wind and thankfully fed by the Churches and Boy Scouts.

My life lesson was Scouts,Churches and unknown 'neighbors' rallied to help,I saw the absolute best side of people in this disaster.albeit a small one.Restored my faith in a lot of humans,but you relief people have seen that,we Joe Schmoes havent,its astounding.

To have a complete home,on wheels,as comfortable as your home you live in,ready to go in an instant.....a lot to said for that.Good gig if you can get it,costs and space ,etc,dont allow it as viable for oh so many unfortunately.

I cant see 'making do' as a survivalist when you can live in comfort in many suburban emergencies.I always go with the highest best option we can manage.

Miss the RV but current conditions preclude one,we are now truck campers,no where near as nice but it works and the next best thing for us.

Trailers have some expense,motorized RVs are expensive propositions to maintain.

Trailer would be my first choice now if all options were open.

OH,a friend has an offroad capable tent trailer,very easy tow with the comforts of home,self contained.Surprised at the costs,not cheap,but boy do they love it.

#257572 - 03/13/13 06:13 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Had to chuckle at the trailer on one of the links about a year with it,one pulled by a little Jeep,another by a Big Dodge truck.....just what the Spud's need! Thats my vehicles,hows that for directed advertising,LOL!

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/videos.php

This link works for Blightlys article on the Rough Rider teardrop
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jeep-rubicon-unlimited-build-comfort-traction-suspension-13481.html

#257573 - 03/13/13 06:46 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a small trailer myself ... certain family members are eager to get off the ground when camping smile

One option to the teardrop that caught my eye is the Bushmaster:

Another option is an old 13' Boler, they seem to be available on the used market fairly regularly for $5000 or less around here.

#257577 - 03/13/13 10:35 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

#257578 - 03/13/13 10:37 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: ILBob]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
no reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Cargo trailer conversions:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

#257580 - 03/13/13 10:41 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I had a tow vehicle with the HP, I'd prefer a Boler or old little Shasta (love the 1960s versions).

Much to be said for having a "standie" trailer.

The caddies of teardrops:

http://tinycamper.com/teardropmodels.htm

#258085 - 03/26/13 03:31 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
as much as i like little guy trailers, i think the whole "BOSS" thing is a selling gimmick.
i can think of better ways to spend my money; food, water, ammo, and maybe a solar setup with an extra battery.

i do like the little guy, however, and hope to one day own a 6 wide in some kind of camoflage pattern. grin

"hello hikerchick!"
nice to see you're still around... grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.