Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257500 - 03/12/13 02:27 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: hikermor]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... a smallish pickup truck, loaded with a tent and assorted goodies would [sic] be ...

I've been curious about this. What would a good choice be for an EXPEDITION quality tent be nowadays? Say for 2-3 persons and another for 4-5 persons, suitable for the coldest weather in the Northeast US?

Conway Yee

#257511 - 03/12/13 06:17 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I've wanted a small teardrop trailer for a long time. These "Little Guy" brand ones look very nice. Someday, when I retire, I'll buy one. I know the wife will hate me for it, but I still want one.

It seems funny that they would equip the one shown in the video with those aggressive tread tires. If you're just dragging the thing behind your vehicle, a set of drag racing slicks would probably work just as well. It's not like the trailer needs to gain traction to push something forward. Nor does it need special treads to maintain precise steering control. It's a trailer - it's passive. About the only thing I can imagine you'd need in a trailer tire is puncture resistance and the ability to not overheat at driving speeds. I would also think you'd want the hardest rubber available, for long wear. Seems like you could meet those needs with tires made out of hardened steel. You folks here that are trailer owners - what am I missing? I don't understand the need for aggressive tires on a trailer.

#257514 - 03/12/13 09:36 AM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
You ever think of writing them back, linking them to your posts here, and start talking about royalties? Or improvements to their concept?

The camper this size makes a lot of sense when you don't have a vehicle with enough space to carry people and gear. Check out some of the trailers on expedition portal, most based off old US trailers.

#257516 - 03/12/13 12:06 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
marketing gimmick IMO.

Bob

#257518 - 03/12/13 12:44 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My choice would be a North Face VE25. It has long been a standard for climbers on Denali and other severe environments- rated for three persons and four seasons. I slept (well kinda) in a storm with 80 mph winds (on Denali). I later purchased several for a project on the Channel Islands, where they held up to strong winds quite well. This model has no provision for a stove and heat comes from adequate garments.

For a tent with a stove, I would look to Kifaru, but I have no experience with their extremely good (and pricy) products.

Dagny's comment about spending 8 to 12 or so K on a trailer raises the question of allocation of resources. For a budget hovering around 10K, I could fill a small van with adequate, versatile gear that would serve better than a trailer which after all, is confined to roadways. The core would be minimalist hiking/backpacking gear, fleshed out with weightier options. Personally, I would be inclined to throw in a bicycle. If I needed to leave the vehicle, the bike could carry me further with more gear and less effort over paths less travelled, which could be crucial in an emergency. If I had to leave the bike, i would still be a lean and light backpacker, getting 10 to 20 miles per day.

#257524 - 03/12/13 03:31 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I agree the BOSS is a marketing ploy. Rather than having to think and plan, the wanna-be survivalist can just buy a toy and have everything someone else thinks he needs.

I am sorta like Dagny, I would buy a basic model with what I want and retrofit it to suit my needs. Much easier to control weight and space factors.

#257525 - 03/12/13 03:34 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Done my share of RV'ing,love the teardrops.They surely have a place in the market.RV's make awesome bugout homes.BTDT,just a fine option.

#257530 - 03/12/13 04:22 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: yee]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Buy a tipi or a yurt. I camped out in a 14ft tipi with three other people and a big yellow dog. Lots of room and a fire to boot. Transporting the poles are the biggest drawback to the tipi, though.

#257533 - 03/12/13 07:06 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my house and separate garage are old frame structures dating back to knob and tube wiring...my hurricane evacuation plan is to stay for a CAT 1-3, and evacuate for a 4 or 5 to a relative's place built to post Hurricane Andrew code (about 20mi)...I drive a small two door Explorer with some storage, but plan on pulling a lightweight (Tractor Supply) 8' utility trailer with as much food and equipment as possible.. to make myself self sufficient, and not make myself a burden if possible... additionally to safeguard as much of my physical "wealth" as possible..

a "ridge pole" and supports attached by a couple of "C" clamps, a blue tarp and some mosquito netting, a 4x8 sheet of plywood on the floor, and I should be able to live in the trailer if shelter is not available during the reconstruction of the house..

if I can find a used tarp canopy with metal framework at the right price, one could be cut down to fit... to make a free standing tarp support inside the bed of the trailer... food for thought...it wouldn't wind load for travel, and using the bungee ccords, be pretty wind resistant temporary shelter...

#257540 - 03/12/13 10:37 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The B.O.S.S. is based on this model: Little Guy's off-roader.

Some peops do take their vehicles off the beaten path. The capability to take a trailer along has appeal.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Less elaborate (and lighter) teardrops are being pulled by VW Bugs and other diminutive vehicles. Even just this small taste of the RV lifestyle makes one appreciate how wonderful it can be to be permanently packed (minus food) and able to hitch-and-go for a weekend or to escape some calamity.

I've spent countless weekends in the Shenandoahs - often not even bothering to unhitch at the campground.

Mine is stocked with everything but food and drinks.

If I were proficient at CAD, I'd enjoy a group design session on an ETS teardrop.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 406 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.