Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#257465 - 03/11/13 06:24 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just sharing a little knowledge here.
And these comments are in NO way based on my own experience ... I have never been attacked by a grizzly and hope it will never happen :-) So the advice below comes from another forum where there are experienced bear hunters.

If you do decide to shoot the bear, you need a rifle which at least has a 30-caliber and a bullet speed of roughly 3,000 ft/sec. For example, something like a 30-06 or better still a .300 Winchester Magnum. A little bit less bullet speed is OK (the 30-06 is more like 2800-2900 ft/sec) ... I'm just giving you the right kind of range. This comment comes for a very experienced hunter who has shot large brown bears. So this person speaks from plenty of experience. That kind of bullet caliber and speed will penetrate the skull and spine of a large attacking bear.

It goes without saying ... a large bear like a grizzly poses the most serious kind of risk. There are definitely stories of these bears attackign with their heads down, moving low to the ground, and running very fast. It would be a tough job to control your nerves, keep proper aim on the attacking bear, and get off a successful shot.

I'm not saying other guns would always fail. Just passing on what you would really need to have a good chance at success. Hopefully noone here ever winds up in that situation.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (03/11/13 06:31 PM)

#257474 - 03/11/13 09:07 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Unless you can provide a link, the reports show that rifles were the backup and bear spray was ineffective in this case.

"David Trembly first saw the bear soon after they entered a wooded area in the Snake River bottoms and tried to scare it off.

All three hunters had ready access to bear spray. When the bear charged, David Trembly fired his spray while his sons raised their rifles and initially held fire. One of the hunters described he grizzly bear as moving "incredibly fast" and "like a cat," moving low to the ground and snapping branches as it charged, according to the release."

"Three bullets — one to the back and two to the head — brought down the 534-pound male practically at the hunters' feet."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/charges-killed-grand-teton-grizzly-18676666

And here

"After reviewing the investigation, handled by law-enforcement rangers at the park in consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Attorney's Office decided not to file any charges against the three, park officials announced Thursday.

According to the investigation, the unidentified hunters, who were participating in the park's annual elk reduction hunt, tried to deter the bear with bear spray, but when it charged to within 10 feet of the trio two fired at it, hitting the grizzly twice in the head and once in the back, killing it, the investigation noted."

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/201...ional-park22897

Edited by clearwater (03/11/13 09:11 PM)

#257481 - 03/11/13 09:52 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Here is the news release summarizing the investigation: Investigation Results Made Public in 2012 Grizzly Bear Shooting

From what I see here, it sounds like hikermor's summary was correct. The release states: "Park rangers and science and resource management personnel believe that both the bear spray and bullets contacted the grizzly bear at nearly the same instant."

#257493 - 03/12/13 12:49 AM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Unless you can provide a link, the reports show that rifles were the backup and bear spray was ineffective in this case.

"David Trembly first saw the bear soon after they entered a wooded area in the Snake River bottoms and tried to scare it off.

All three hunters had ready access to bear spray. When the bear charged, David Trembly fired his spray while his sons raised their rifles and initially held fire. One of the hunters described he grizzly bear as moving "incredibly fast" and "like a cat," moving low to the ground and snapping branches as it charged, according to the release."

"Three bullets — one to the back and two to the head — brought down the 534-pound male practically at the hunters' feet."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/charges-killed-grand-teton-grizzly-18676666

And here

"After reviewing the investigation, handled by law-enforcement rangers at the park in consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Attorney's Office decided not to file any charges against the three, park officials announced Thursday.

According to the investigation, the unidentified hunters, who were participating in the park's annual elk reduction hunt, tried to deter the bear with bear spray, but when it charged to within 10 feet of the trio two fired at it, hitting the grizzly twice in the head and once in the back, killing it, the investigation noted."

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/201...ional-park22897

From the link you provided to the National Park Traveler website -""During that brief time, the hunters deployed bear spray and discharged firearms against the charging grizzly. Park rangers and science and resource management personnel believe that both the bear spray and bullets contacted the grizzly bear at nearly the same instant," the release said. "The totality of circumstances indicated that the hunters were forced to make rapid decisions in close proximity to the bear, and they acted in self-defense."

#257509 - 03/12/13 03:47 AM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: JPickett]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Quote:

If I have a 9mm or .45 to defend myself against a grizzly bear, I'll only need one shot. Just hope I can hit myself before the bear does!

ROFLMAO! If it's close, that's about right.

I've encountered bears scores of times (a little north of a hundred times, maybe); several times virtually face-to-face (OK - it seemed like that - 10 - 15 yards). Black bears, grizzly bears, and coastal (brown) bears in all sorts of terrain / circumstances. Less than 300 meters and it makes my heart rate go up every time. There have been some particularly scary occasions - 3 in particular still give me an occasional exciting dream, but mostly encountering bears have been just an interesting event. No animals (or humans) harmed so far.

I'm NOT an expert - have killed (legally) two grizzly bears over the years and do not intend to shoot any more bears. Having said that, neither of those I shot expired immediately. The HUGE one didn't travel after I shot it (once) but was very close to me in close cover - scared me witless. Years later, a (relatively) small one was practically bulletproof and dang near killed me. Covered 300+ meters RAPIDLY - it came for me, even though every shot was a mortal hit. It was hunting my dad (unknown to him) at the time I decided I had to intervene. I didn't have time to be scared until AFTERWARDS. It died at my feet. That story takes about 100 times longer to tell than the actual events...

So - with my *tiny* bit of firsthand data - dropping a bear in its tracks at close range seems to be dicey. I go armed in the wilderness, but I do not have any desire to confront a large animal up close - bear, moose, whatever.

(I'm still grinning about the one shot comment - dang, that's funny!)

#257512 - 03/12/13 08:18 AM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
From Wikipedia on the Danish Navy Greenland patrols:

'Among the equipment used by the Sirius Sledge Patrol is the M1917 Enfield bolt-action rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield, and Glock 20 pistols chambered in 10mm Auto as their previous Pistol M/49 sidearms chambered in 9mm Parabellum proved insufficient against the polar bears encountered.'

qjs

#257513 - 03/12/13 09:17 AM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I wouldn't be real optimistic about the 10mm round against polar bears, either!

#257521 - 03/12/13 03:15 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Friend in NorCal killed a standing bear towering over his wife planting flowers at close range with a single 44 mag pistol shot to head,dropped like a rock with one head shot.

His Bud killed one in his grove with a 22 rifle,one shot,excellent skilled hunter he was though,and bear surprised him,he wasnt bear hunting.This fellow told me a 357 mag will stop any bear in Calif,I'll take his word for it.When I visited there he always armed me with a 357 and said never leave the house without it (and dont shoot off your toe,first hand advice from him,LOL),they had a lot of problem bears there.

State relocated problem bears to the area yet denied it,they killed bears they called '2 holers',a hole in each ear from where they had been tagged twice before by state before they showed up in their backyards.

So they not only had a lot of bears,they had bears with issues.Nice,eh?

#257534 - 03/12/13 07:28 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: clearwater]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"This fellow told me a 357 mag will stop any bear in Calif,I'll take his word for it."

You're right that I should have ammended my quotes above to cover large, angry bears. A large bear, such as an attacking grizzly, really requires a good high-power rifle.

I agree that there are folks who hunt the smaller bears, such as those in CA, with handguns in .357mag and 44mag caliber. Although I have to say that we do have bears getting up to 700-800 pounds in California and I sure wouldn't want to wound one of those things with a handgun :-)

Pete2

Edited by Pete (03/12/13 07:29 PM)

#257543 - 03/12/13 11:16 PM Re: A backup was needed for bear spray this time? [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"any bear in Calif" does not include grizzlies, despite their appearance on the state flag. Grizzlies have been extirpated from CA for nearly 100 years. The black bear is a very different critter, smaller and less aggressive (usually).

Edited by hikermor (03/13/13 11:38 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 464 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.