It took a spark from a ferro rod right away:

Edited by bacpacjac (03/08/13 05:26 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257329 - 03/08/13 09:20 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I guy I knew who made his own char cloth threw 100% cotton flannel or that blue and white pillow ticking into a coffee can. Then crimped down the opening and folded it over - like a brown paper lunch bag. I think he set the oven on 200 degrees and let it bake. I cannot remember how long he left it in there. I can contact him and find out if you want.

My $.02

#257330 - 03/08/13 10:07 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if you can find a naturally occurring chert or flint outcropping, or pick up pieces along the edges of waterway... identifying them to your Scouts might set up a fun project... have a fire building challenge... a fire the way the natives did prior to a ferro rod... there are some large chert deposits, that have now been taken over by an oyster bed, just off shore where I grew up... and as Scouts we were on the lookout for the shiny black or gray pieces...using a piece of char cloth, and the back spine of a carbon steel pocketknife was one of the "extra" skills our Scoutmaster worked with us on... I was lucky to have a couple of dedicated gentlemen in that position...if I remember correctly, we used a shoe polish can with a tiny hole in the top to make and transport the char cloth...the pocket knife and stone in our pocket...probably not politically correct today...

#257332 - 03/08/13 10:59 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
if you can find a naturally occurring chert or flint outcropping, or pick up pieces along the edges of waterway... identifying them to your Scouts might set up a fun project... have a fire building challenge... a fire the way the natives did prior to a ferro rod... there are some large chert deposits, that have now been taken over by an oyster bed, just off shore where I grew up... and as Scouts we were on the lookout for the shiny black or gray pieces...using a piece of char cloth, and the back spine of a carbon steel pocketknife was one of the "extra" skills our Scoutmaster worked with us on... I was lucky to have a couple of dedicated gentlemen in that position...if I remember correctly, we used a shoe polish can with a tiny hole in the top to make and transport the char cloth...the pocket knife and stone in our pocket...probably not politically correct today...

That's the plan, Les. Using quartz/chert will be new for me too. I've always wanted to try it. Almost went to the science store yesterday and bought a piece, to tell the truth. It just seems wrong to buy quartz when it's pretty plentiful around here. The weather will let up soon enough and we'll be able to hit the trails. It'll be way more fun to experiment with finding in nature.

#257333 - 03/08/13 11:03 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: MoBOB]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I guy I knew who made his own char cloth threw 100% cotton flannel or that blue and white pillow ticking into a coffee can. Then crimped down the opening and folded it over - like a brown paper lunch bag. I think he set the oven on 200 degrees and let it bake. I cannot remember how long he left it in there. I can contact him and find out if you want.

My $.02

I'd love some tips on using the oven, MoBob. This is my first try using an Altoid's indoors. I started with the oven but was stumped by temp and time So skipped it and went for the stove I stead. You could likely cook way more in the oven if you used a container bigger than an Altoids tin.

#257368 - 03/09/13 07:33 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: bacpacjac]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mine are mostly learning, & planning outings

#257411 - 03/10/13 06:42 AM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
So, is char cloth just for fun? I ask that in all sincerity. I could see improvising it if there were few other options, but if I'm packing my stuff in I could think of things that are a lot better tinder than that. Again, just curious.

#257412 - 03/10/13 10:02 AM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: Phaedrus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
So, is char cloth just for fun? I ask that in all sincerity. I could see improvising it if there were few other options, but if I'm packing my stuff in I could think of things that are a lot better tinder than that. Again, just curious.

As with all bushcrafty stuff, it's a learning opportunity for both of us. A ferro rod or lighter + cotton ball is my default fire starting method but options are good to understand. Char cloth (or other charred material) is something you can improvise in the field to extend one fire into many. Add in learning to identify and use natural flint/quartz/chert/etc. and steel, and you've just upped your self reliance factor.

Understanding the theory is one thing, but I need hands-on experience to really learn something, especially if it's something I want to be able to rely on in a high pressure situation. Read/hear it, watch it and then try it and try it again. My son learns best the same way.

It might only need heat + fuel + oxygen, but fire starting is something that can have many variables. Even perfect practice doesn't mean perfect next time. The more practice the better!

#257415 - 03/10/13 10:29 AM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: bacpacjac]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Ah, a good idea from that perspective. At any rate I was just wondering.

#257429 - 03/10/13 05:54 PM Re: Indoor Bushcraft Projects [Re: Phaedrus]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It's a known good solution. It was relied on historically. See, for example, http://quikonnex.com/channel/item/33298. Most better solutions are more modern.

I think its main drawback is that it needs to be kept dry. There are modern tinders that don't. And of course cigarette lighters that have the benefit of being easier to use one-handed.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 461 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.