Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255731 - 01/22/13 02:10 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: thseng]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: thseng
Playing devil's advocate here, but how do you decide which tinder to use at any given time?

I usually use whatever I can gather in the area, and save my kit for emergencies, except if I'm teaching or play... I mean, practicing.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255732 - 01/22/13 02:15 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny

Thanks for this thread, BPJ. I gather this fire kit is for a backpack?

I need to research char cloth more. Didn't know a tin would be necessary for that.

Yes, I intend to carry it in a backpack - day tripping or overnighting. I also have something similar in my GHB and the family BOB.

I don't think you need a tin to do charred materials. I've only done it a few times in the past couple of years. (Learned about it through ETS, actually. thanks gang!). I've used an Altoids tin, but think you just need an almost airtight (need a way for the gasses to escape, like a hole in the tin top) fire-proof container. les Stoud used a piece of airplane metal in an episode of Survivorman.

#255751 - 01/22/13 04:13 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
As things stand, when I head into the woods my primary fire kit (though not actually a kit) is carried on my person and consists of a firesteel, my F1 knife, and a little Ziploc of PJ cotton balls in my pocket ... for backup (and other uses) I'll usually have a small lighter in a pocket too.

In a pack I'll have some backup items ... mainly a Spark-lite with some Tinder Quick tabs and an extra lighter.

This now seems downright minimal in comparison to my Canuck brethren smile.

#255756 - 01/22/13 06:09 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
This now seems downright minimal in comparison to my Canuck brethren smile.

Well, yes and no Denis.

We all do different things and have different requirements. For some folks, an "adventure" consists of a day hike around a well groomed national park with the wife and kids and the fire kit will be pulled out to light a small fire to toast a few smores, boil a bit of tea and wow the kids. There are people here and there, and your car may be a few hundred meters away in the parking lot. For those people, great. Its not such a big deal because you are not in any real danger. YMMV

For me, I will hop on a snowmobile and scoot off for and hour to find that secret little lake no one else goes to in order to do a bit of ice fishing. There is no one around for miles. My truck is an hours drive away, and if I break down or go through the ice with my machine I am in serious trouble. Even though I check the weather before I leaves, and even though I tell my wife exactly where I am going and when I will return there is no way help would (or could) get to me that fast if there was an accident.

Thats why I carry a road flare. If I end up in the drink I can rip down branches and other dead wood, light the flare and toss it in the pile. So long as there is enough of a platform and the flare dosn't sink I WILL have fire. No need to find tinder, or make fuzz sticks, or fuss around with char cloth and jute twine and all that mess. I can even light the thing with my teeth if I had to. it's a nice bit of confidence for me to have such a simple and effective item in my bag.

Now when I am simply boiling tea, or lighting a stove, or trying to impress a couch potatoe friend I will use the other methods.

BPJack - you can get the 15 minute flares at Canadian tire for 5-6 bucks. Some apparently burn underwater once lit.(never tried it myself) No thrill like overkill when it comes to getting a fire going in a rush. Just be certain the flare is not on deep snow or you will quickly find out how far it is to the ground. The flare will still be burning, but under 10 feet of snow which is counter productive. Also, you can only light them with the striker. If that gets wet you are pooched so make sure you keep it dry. I may vaccum seal a molotov cocktail to supplement my road flares..... I hate being wet and cold.

Edited by Stephen (01/22/13 06:10 PM)

#255759 - 01/22/13 06:37 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Chisel]
NAro Offline
Addict

If that carpet lint isn't treated with a flame retardant, I'd be surprised. Try it before you trust it.

#255867 - 01/26/13 02:57 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: NAro]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: NAro
If that carpet lint isn't treated with a flame retardant, I'd be surprised. Try it before you trust it.

I agree. many carpets are made with a fiber called olefin. It is a plastic material and if you were able to light it with a spark, it would emit toxic fumes.. Dryer lint can also be primarily plastic fiber, depending on what was dried.

#255885 - 01/27/13 01:15 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL

Bob

#255967 - 01/29/13 03:00 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Video of an interesting fire starter that I never would have thought of. You can cut it open and stuff some other kindling in there as well if you need to. There are probably lots of household items that are flammable that we don't think of as being a fire starter... It pays to look around and check out what is available, garbage is seemingly everywhere, even on remote islands.

http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/ping-pong-balls-are-incredibly-flammable!/2011329104001

#257318 - 03/08/13 04:54 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest
That is a very comprehensive kit.

Looks a tad heavy.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

We're stuck inside today with a serious case of cabin fever and a brand new Altoids tin so here's another, more simpler one for you, Blake:

Small leather pouch with:

-ferro rod on jute twine leash
-tiny knife on jute twine leash
-char cloth
-tampon

#257325 - 03/08/13 06:42 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Stephen]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Oh please, Steve. Ever hear of a little bump in the road here in the colonies called Fargo, North Dakota? Seven layers and I was frozen by the time we made the hanger. I absolutely refuse to go back there. Very unpleasant for a desert boy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.