The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#257149 - 03/04/13 08:43 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Apparently the nurse was following the policy of the I-L facility which employed her. While I don't much like the policy of that facility, she did what some people find themselves having to do. I worked at a hospital in Texas which did not allow Respiratory Therapists (of which I'm one) to intubate patients during resuscitation. Only Physicians could do that. An R.T. who worked there till just before I got there intubated a patient after waiting what seemed to him to be an excessive time for a Physician to respond. He was fired that day. I'm pretty sure this policy was due to Liability issues, so I'll say no more.

#257152 - 03/04/13 09:11 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Relevant passage:

Quote:
During the 7-minute, 16-second call, [the 911 dispatcher] Halvorson assured the nurse that Glenwood couldn't be sued if anything went wrong with CPR, saying the local emergency medical system "takes the liability for this call," the transcript states.

Later in the call, Halvorson asks, "Is there a gardener? Any staff, anyone who doesn't work for you? Anywhere? Can we flag someone down in the street and get them to help this lady? Can we flag a stranger down? I bet a stranger would help her."

Halvorson is an experienced dispatcher and has worked for the county center for at least a decade, Kern County Fire Department Deputy Chief Michael Miller said.
She followed procedures until she ran out of options when the caller refused to perform CPR or identify anyone else who could, Miller said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/arti...331bef3b47ab87f

Edited by Bingley (03/04/13 09:12 PM)

#257153 - 03/04/13 09:45 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Relevant passage:

Quote:
During the 7-minute, 16-second call, [the 911 dispatcher] Halvorson assured the nurse that Glenwood couldn't be sued if anything went wrong with CPR, saying the local emergency medical system "takes the liability for this call," the transcript states.

Later in the call, Halvorson asks, "Is there a gardener? Any staff, anyone who doesn't work for you? Anywhere? Can we flag someone down in the street and get them to help this lady? Can we flag a stranger down? I bet a stranger would help her."

Halvorson is an experienced dispatcher and has worked for the county center for at least a decade, Kern County Fire Department Deputy Chief Michael Miller said.
She followed procedures until she ran out of options when the caller refused to perform CPR or identify anyone else who could, Miller said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/arti...331bef3b47ab87f

It seems unlikely that a dispatcher has any legal authority to accept whatever liability there might be. Still referring to the caller as a "nurse".

Bob

#257154 - 03/04/13 09:58 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: ILBob]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ILBob
It seems unlikely that a dispatcher has any legal authority to accept whatever liability there might be. Still referring to the caller as a "nurse".

I don't know the law, but maybe the dispatcher doesn't need any authority. Perhaps the rule is that once the 911 call has been placed, 911 is liable for any instruction or action performed as a consequence. But then again, I'm no lawyer, and I'm just guessing.

#257155 - 03/04/13 10:13 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
So, I assume that no one has heard of any other situations with a similar policy that we need to be aware of? Maybe it's just limited to facilities that cater to the very old and infirm?

I mean, anyone heard of a gym with a no CPR policy? Or perhaps a swimming pool with a lifeguard who is not allowed to do CPR but has to call EMS instead? How about a private school? Are there privately employed elementary school teachers who are prohibited from performing CPR on students?

Sorry, I know I may be sounding almost flippant with my examples, but in all seriousness, I'm curious if there are other situations like this to be aware of.

#257156 - 03/04/13 10:20 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am not an attorney and I don't play one on the Internet. Nothing I write is ever legal advice.

My understanding is that in most, if not all, US States, medical professionals have a duty to provide care if they witness someone in life-threatening medical distress. If it was in fact a nurse and the nurse didn't provide CPR when it was called for, the nurse could easily lose his or her license.

In many US States there is a Good Samaritan Law that immunizes you against liability if you act within the scope of your training to help someone who might otherwise die. If you're certified for CPR or following the 911 dispatcher's directions, you cannot be held liable for performing CPR in those states.

I would never knowingly step foot in a facility that had a "no CPR" policy.

#257160 - 03/04/13 11:12 PM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
They can have whatever policies they like,you can choose to use their business or not.

Thats my take.

Ive worked in hospitals that do not,will not or cannot treat a patient across the street from the Hosp.,they have to be brought in by either EMS or somebody,but they cannot go outside the facility property to render care by the staff on duty.Never seen a policy in a Hosp in this state to the contrary,but there may be exceptions,ie,disaster and emergency triage situations where that policy might change,I dont know about that or exactly what the policy in that situation is.

Are you required to provide free tax services,or meat cutting for those 'in need' because you work in a field?

Big difference between assisted living and a Nursing home.

Edited by spuds (03/04/13 11:28 PM)

#257164 - 03/05/13 12:35 AM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: spuds]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: spuds
Are you required to provide free tax services,or meat cutting for those 'in need' because you work in a field?

Are you suggesting that you would charge someone a fee before doing CPR?

#257165 - 03/05/13 12:36 AM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

An excellent example of 'learned corporate morality helplessness' eek

I failed my Corporate Health and Safety Policy, which consisted on how to sit in a chair and the learned helplessness when arriving and leaving the corporate building/facility or otherwise known as 'how to aid the criminal perpetrator, so as to become a mugging/assault victim' laugh

Must of been 'London' way of thinking!

#257168 - 03/05/13 01:09 AM Re: No CPR allowed [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't think "learned helplessness" applies here. This seems more an example of willful refusal to help.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.