The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#256914 - 02/26/13 04:36 AM BOB entertainment options
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
In a concious effort to keep my BOB low tech whenever possible, I have included some low tech entertainment options to ward off boredom. In addition to various books, I've put together a "game tin" that includes a deck of mini cards, some dice to play various dice games, paper based Battleship/similar games, and a small pad of sticky notes for keeping score,making a chess set, checkers, etc.
The tin I got at the dollar store, and as you can see, used to house a puzzle. The tin itself is 4x3x1, and fits into the side pocket of my maxpedition bag quite nicely. I plan on getting a set or two of the mini Uno cards this week, since that's one of my son's favorite games. The tin is a perfect size as well. Any further suggestions for low tech entertainment, small, light easy to teach/learn?

[img]http://s1303.beta.photobucket.com/user/ratikon/media/DSCF0807_zpsec2a8506.jpg.html[/img]

#256916 - 02/26/13 05:16 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
How about laminating a "race course" in the inside of the lid and use small painted rare earth magnets as "cars". Or have a race course one side and a checker/chess board on the other of the laminate. Also, you may be able to draw out a cribbage "board". Use the computer to draw one up.

My $.02

#256918 - 02/26/13 10:38 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Here in the Middle East, we used to have some traditional games that require no more than what you can find around you.

One such game is made by drawing three (concentric ???) squares ( one inside the other). Draw four perpendicular lines that each divide square sides into half.

Now, each one of you 2 players holds 3 pieces of anything ( 3 stones, 3 coins, 3 bottle caps, you get the idea). The goal of the game is to get your 3 pieces in a straight line while preventing the other from doing so.

Pieces can be only positioned on intersections points. You can move the piece one position at a time ( from one intersection to another) then it's the other player's turn.

You try to move your bits until they are in one straight line, while at the same time you watch the other player and everything you can to block his intended moves.

This game is very simple.
We can draw it on a wooden board, or even on the soil. You can find any 3 bits of gravel for you and maybe 3 seeds for the other player.

You can look at it as a super-simlified form of chess.

Enjoy.

#256919 - 02/26/13 10:45 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Oh, the game starts by one player putting his stone on one point. 2nd player puts his. 1st player puts ....etc. You can try to put yours in a straight line from the beginning if you think the other player is sleepy enough LOL, and won't block your line by one of his.

When all pieces are positioned on the board , you take turns in moving the pieces and reading the mind of the other guy.

#256921 - 02/26/13 02:16 PM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Now, each one of you 2 players holds 3 pieces of anything ( 3 stones, 3 coins, 3 bottle caps, you get the idea). The goal of the game is to get your 3 pieces in a straight line while preventing the other from doing so.

There's a version I've played for many years with nine pieces called Nine Men's Morris. Highly addictive and fun.

#256922 - 02/26/13 02:49 PM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
With 4 pieces of string, you can make an impromptu tic tac board.

#256934 - 02/26/13 10:36 PM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
A deck of cards and a wooden dice game about baseball are in our BoBs. Worst case, they are tinder. Or I have to teach the DW spades and pitch (shudder).

#256937 - 02/27/13 02:42 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Cards and a cribbage board. I also have a rubber snake, but that's more for momentary excitement, than longterm entertainment...

#256938 - 02/27/13 02:49 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: barbakane]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
As a kid, I took a sharpie to my sleeping pad, and made a checker board, tic-tac-toe graph, and battleship grid (on opposing ends of the pad).

Use twigs/rocks etc as your pieces. Use something like a rolled up sleeping bag or a backpack to keep the other person from spying on your battleship grid.

so, a mini sharpie might be a good idea, in case you want to make an impromptu board.

with a deck of cards, you're pretty unlimited. See if you can google the instructions on a wide range of games, then set the print small enough to fit on paper about the size of the cards. Laminate, and voila! You can carry instructions for 5-card, 7-card, Texas Hold 'Em, War, 21, Go Fish, etc.

Edited by MDinana (02/27/13 02:52 AM)

#256942 - 02/27/13 04:48 AM Re: BOB entertainment options [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Chaos ,

This drawing is exactly how the game looks

A sharpie can be used to draw this game on a bandana or anything like that, and you can find the stones or whatever scattered around.

One time my daughter and I played this game. There was enough garbage around to pick anything we liked. I took blue bottle caps, my daughter picked up green bottle caps. And yes, she beat me in the game several times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.