Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257060 - 03/02/13 06:40 PM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: dougwalkabout]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Interesting idea.

I used translucent coroplast for the sides and roof of a greenhouse. It's pretty durable -- held up to high winds, light hail, northern cold and summer heat. Ten years later, the stuff is a bit brittle but still intact.

Would you do it again or use better material? Thinking light pass thru.

#257067 - 03/02/13 08:21 PM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
It's a Quonst hut not made out of sheet aluminum. About as innovative as fire. The SeaBees were making these back in WW2. All this guy did was take a proven design, use new materials and make it smaller.

#257074 - 03/03/13 02:16 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
This might be interesting for the homeless iff completed in context. The SHARE /WHEEL tent city advertises a 2person tent donation at $50. The $150 cost should be evaluated in that context: is it appreciably warmer or friendlier or more durable than the 50 dollar shelter it hopes to replace?

#257078 - 03/03/13 06:08 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This product seems most suitable as an instant igloo in the snow, or in cold weather generally if you have a sleeping bag for warmth. However, there is the issue of condensation, as someone pointed out above.

Also, this shelter is a no-go in weather that has any kind of heat (basically any time you feel like wearing shorts). That includes warm nights too. You'd sweat all the water out of you like if you were in a sauna.

It's really not much of an innovation. It's basically a big dog house. Actually, I wouldn't make this my dog's house because of the issues I noted above. It is such a non-innovation that I am guessing the issues noted by me and other people made this product a non-starter a long time ago.

#257105 - 03/04/13 02:44 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
As Kennedy said, some people look at things and say why, others look at the same thing and say why not.

#257106 - 03/04/13 03:52 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
This particular shelter design has some limitations for human habitation, to be sure. But I don't think this guy is flogging a product. It's just a creative thought exercise, and makes no claim to cure all the world's ills. The use of Coroplast for temporary sheds/shelters is a valid concept. I'm sure if we were to put our heads together we could create a design that works pretty well.

-Doug, the optimist

#257107 - 03/04/13 04:09 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: spuds
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Interesting idea.

I used translucent coroplast for the sides and roof of a greenhouse. It's pretty durable -- held up to high winds, light hail, northern cold and summer heat. Ten years later, the stuff is a bit brittle but still intact.

Would you do it again or use better material? Thinking light pass thru.

It's hard to say. My old greenhouse had double-paned windows (scrounged) on the entire sun-facing side. Translucent Coroplast was used for the simple roof, back and sides. It lets in some light but also reflects some light around so (in theory) the plants don't get quite so "leggy."

Light transmission is a trade-off. On the one hand, double-wall polycarbonate is far superior for light transmission. On the other hand, most polycarbonate greenhouses require shade cloth and power ventilation in the hottest months. As for transmission of needed light wavelengths, I really don't know enough to comment.

I would use Coroplast again for micro-greenhouses/row covers around plants, where maintaining night-time temperatures and humidity is the real key to ongoing productivity.

The nice thing about Coroplast is that you can experiment without breaking the bank.

My 5c (no pennies in Canada any more).

#257129 - 03/04/13 05:14 PM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Thanks Doug for the reply.

#257150 - 03/04/13 08:44 PM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
As ideas go it is not so bad, but where would a homeless person get $100 to make such a shelter? In any case most of them would probably use the $100 to buy drugs. By the time you got a decent sleeping bag it would be more like $200.

I am pretty sure there are very few places that want tent cities made of plastic cardboard popping up anyway.

As a solution to the homeless problem it has very little going for it. No toilet or bathing facilities for one thing.

As a winter camping shelter it has some merit. especially for car campers.

Bob

#257171 - 03/05/13 02:20 AM Re: 100 Dollar Homeless/Emergency Shelter [Re: spuds]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Car camping was the application I was thinking of. The kids would love it because it's different and would seem "fun". If it didn't work out you could always turn it into the greenhouse as mentioned earlier...or make a shelter with a greenhouse addition off the back porch smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.