The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#256989 - 03/01/13 04:03 AM Re: A spoon [Re: Russ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

+1

We sometimes have breakfast outside. Those restaurants have plastic forks, knives, and spoons. I usually take the extra ones and scatter them in my kits and bags. In addition, I have bought a dozen normal cheap spoons , and scatter them around. They are medium size , not the full size. They do the job OK for tea/coffe, or cup-a-soup type of food.

#256999 - 03/01/13 01:39 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have found, like Russ, the spork or knife/fork on each end is a great idea on paper but has limitations in practice.

I prefer to use HoBo knives. I can live with the extra weight.

If nothing else, I'll fall back to my GI days and carry a stainless steel spoon in my pocket and use one of my knives as needed to eat.

#257001 - 03/01/13 02:18 PM Re: A spoon [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
No problem - I never use the fork (except as a handle)

#257003 - 03/01/13 03:34 PM Re: A spoon [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If all you need is a spoon, get a Long Spoon with a real handle. If I had a non-stick pot, this is what I'd use for preserving the surface when cooking.

I have one but it doesn't see much use. It's one of the older ones and is a bit over 9" long. I've had it for years, probably predating the BPA-free requirement.

#257005 - 03/01/13 04:20 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
While the concept, and especially the name, seems silly (and can provide some humorous comments from camp mates), I really like my GSI Kung Foon (there are stainless & titanium versions, I have the former).

Used alone, the metal "foon" does a really good job. It is nice & deep and makes a good soup spoon and the tines are sharp / long enough to eat a full sized meal salad without causing any frustration (I've been using it at Cub camps to try out how it does on a variety of foods, not just my normal backpacking fare). The added benefit of the chop sticks is primarily that when put together it provides a great way to eat directly out of a Mountain House meal bag.

That said, it also gives me something to stir with in a non-stick pot (but I don't typically "cook" when backpacking).

Utensil choice aside, one thing I've learned to do is to keep one in my food bag that rides at the top of my pack when backpacking. I've run into situations where I didn't and was left with the choice of either digging through / unpacking the pack to get the utensil out of my cooking kit to eat my cold meal or try to improvise and/or use my hands.

#257013 - 03/01/13 05:20 PM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Hardly high tech but I like the Hobo knife.Had my Dads old one when I was a kid,wish I still did.

#257022 - 03/01/13 09:36 PM Re: A spoon [Re: ILBob]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I mostly use the spork to stir the sweetener up when I make tea while hiking.

I agree it is a compromise.

here is another compromise.

http://www.crkt.com/EatN-Tool---Spoon-Fo...biner-Clam-Only

I've had one of these on my spare keychain for over a year and use it almost weekly. Attach it with a carabiner thru the largest hex opening. Albeit a compromise, i like the fact that it's compact and readily available. I have a dedicated fork in my GHB and always have my leatherman wave with me. Not often i use a spoon, i can do most things i need to with my fork.

#257027 - 03/01/13 11:42 PM Re: A spoon [Re: spuds]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: spuds
Hardly high tech but I like the Hobo knife.Had my Dads old one when I was a kid,wish I still did.

I think Colemans sells one like this.

Bob

#257029 - 03/02/13 12:17 AM Re: A spoon [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Case Hobo is on the knifeworks website.

#257042 - 03/02/13 05:17 AM Re: A spoon [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
this link better? In my case sure loved dads as it was an old knife,old things appeal to me.History,build quality,materials,the fact its a survivor,all things that make a possesion valuable to me vrs a titanium spork,no character to me.

Different strokes for different folks,all OK,not intended to slight anyone just what I like.

http://www.knifeworks.com/search.aspx?find=hobo

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.