Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#252776 - 11/03/12 03:28 PM Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#252780 - 11/03/12 05:23 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

You'll find that articles on Lifehacker and Gizmodo are often over simplified, inaccurate, and often biased.
#10 is a good example, land lines of today are very unreliable. My parents have learned to go without theirs for weeks at a time driving to a good cell service spot to make a check in call with a prepaid phone. There is very little profit anymore in home land lines and therefore nothing invested in maintenance of them. AT&T bought our local phone company and the land line service got so bad I ended up cancelling it. Wasn't any point in paying the ever increasing price for something that rarely worked.

#252782 - 11/03/12 06:43 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Landline service reliability varies greatly from place to place. In some places it's the very last utility to fail, in others (like where I live) it's invariably the first. We cancelled ours as well.

#253232 - 11/12/12 08:35 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: Eugene]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Eugene
You'll find that articles on Lifehacker and Gizmodo are often over simplified, inaccurate, and often biased.
#10 is a good example...

Yeah, right. How about #8. Your Car Might Be Salvageable

If you’re in a flood zone, there’s a good chance your car became a submarine once that storm hit. In most cases, your insurance agent will pay to scrap it, but if you really want it back, you can salvage it—particularly if it’s an older car. It probably won’t do much to help you get around in the aftermath, of course, since gas may be in a serious shortage...

Right. I'm sure there will be plenty of mechanics roaming the flooded streets looking for something to do. Focusing on your engine will take their minds off their own miserable, flooded homes, garages and workshops for a few hours - after all, tinkering with mechanical problems is a great stress reliever whose value in times of dire stress should not be underestimated. Even if you anticipate that you won't be able to drive for at least two weeks you should delay in offering your car to any mechanic with tinkering abstinence syndrome.

#253236 - 11/12/12 10:07 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: MostlyHarmless]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Yeah, right. How about #8. Your Car Might Be Salvageable

Here is what I was taught about cars and flood damage when I was young and impressionable:
  • Thou Shalt Not Purchase A Vehicle With A Salvage or Flood Title. Corollary: When Purchasing A Used Vehicle, Thou Shalt Watch Carefully For Title Washing Fraud.
  • Thou Shalt Insist That Thy Flooded Vehicle Be Declared A Total Loss.

I've been fortunate enough to never have a vehicle get flooded (although one time the water was over the hubs and getting pretty close to the exhaust before I was able to move it). I'd be interested to hear if someone knows better than I was taught.

#256821 - 02/23/13 02:09 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: TeacherRO]
Alonzo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada
I visited there.Contains great information.Its dead easy and pretty difficult to go wrong.A very useful tips that will be referenced long into the future.

#256826 - 02/23/13 06:51 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Quote:
6. Social Networks Are Not a Reliable News Source

While true, official news sources are often not much better, and public officials often lie about what is going on, and often give really horrible advice. Since you may have no way of vetting what is being reported, there is no way to trust much of anything that you see or hear on any of the news and information sources.

During a mess like this getting accurate information on a timely basis outside of what you can see for yourself is often all but impossible.

Bob

#256841 - 02/23/13 11:18 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Quote:
6. Social Networks Are Not a Reliable News Source

While true, official news sources are often not much better, and public officials often lie about what is going on, and often give really horrible advice. Since you may have no way of vetting what is being reported, there is no way to trust much of anything that you see or hear on any of the news and information sources.

During a mess like this getting accurate information on a timely basis outside of what you can see for yourself is often all but impossible.

Social networks around here ,ie fires and the recent cop thing for example were quite accurate while the 'news' was horribly inaccurate. Found a few postings were wrong,but the majority got the story out,and usefully.

One really good one we have is a lady who writes real time transcripts of scanner messages,awesome news source.

#256856 - 02/24/13 03:12 AM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
long ago and in far away exotic lands, I was tasked with extracting useful intelligence from radio communicatiions...real time intelligence and analysis can give you critical timely information with which to make decisions and take action...

I'm sure the internet savvy folks like AFLM can post a plug in that will allow you to obtain local emergency VHF/UHF broadcasts on your computer...though much is probably digital or encripted to some degree...

#256881 - 02/24/13 05:55 PM Re: Lifehacker -tips from hurricane Sandy [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder

I'm sure the internet savvy folks like AFLM can post a plug in that will allow you to obtain local emergency VHF/UHF broadcasts on your computer...though much is probably digital or encripted to some degree...
Locally our online scanner jams up pretty quickly and you cant listen.300 person limit,something like that.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 582 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.