Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#256873 - 02/24/13 02:04 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Not having anything to do with who hosts this forum ...

I find most of the beefy knives just too heavy to carry. That's my frustration with Leatherman knives too. If I need that kind of cutting power I'll just bring an axe (and usually do ... and a saw).

My favorite knife for outdoor use to date is the Doug Ritter RSK Mk3 - the so-called "fixed Rittergrip".

In my view it is perfectly sized (not too big - not too small), has great blade steel and shape, has a tough, nicely shaped, and perfectly textured handle, and has a bit of a built-in finger guard. I also like the sheath's multiple attachment capabilities.

I waited a long time for Doug to come out with the long-hinted Mk3, and it met all my expectations. BTW, I like his Mk2 (RitterBecker) too, but I prefer lighter weight knives.

If you're looking for a lower cost option, then my recommendation is the Mora Robust - for only $15. The blade is noticeably thicker, but still the whole package is plenty light enough to carry. I wish they made a stainless version of this knife. Yes, I know lots of people prefer carbon steel, but I tend to prefer stainless (or semi-stainless).

#256909 - 02/26/13 03:58 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Maybe someone like Pete can hold on to his fancy sanmai knives, but not me."

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have actually been lucky, as well as observant, and haven't lost one of these expensive knives yet. But I can guarantee you that I will not be a happy camper if I lose my Emmerson :-)

My biggest problem losing knives was when I was a scuba diver (many moons ago). I would occasionally set them down on a rock while I was doing something on the sea floor (e.g. getting an abalone), swim off a few yards, then come back. I could never find the dang things again. It's super-easy to lose stuff under the ocean.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (02/26/13 03:59 AM)

#260652 - 05/17/13 07:59 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bws48
Welcome aboard!

Choosing a knife is always based on what you think you will need to do with it in what scenario.

But as far as the "survival" part of your question goes, I like the "Light My Fire Swedish Fire Knife" as it combines what is essentially a Mora knife with a removable fire steel in the handle, thus covering 2 key elements in almost any survival scenario--knife and fire. There was a thread about it here some time ago, and I bought one. They are reasonably priced, and I may get another one to stash in the car. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Fire-FireKni...edish+fireknife

No association etc., just pleased with what I think is a good idea and a good product.

Just as an FYI for my fellow Ontarians and Canadians, Sail is finally carrying this knife. $39.99 regular price feels way to high for me, so I passed. Never held a Mora before, and I don't doubt their reputation, but it just felt... I don't know... chintzy?... compared to my $30 Ruko.

Hanging my head in preparation for the beating I'm going to take when I announce that my Mother's Day gift this year was a BG Ultimate Survival Knife by Gerber. (Smooth edge, not the serrated version.) I know. I know. We're really torn about it, but the truth is, I like it. It feels good in my hand and I like the weight for what I intend to use it for - wood processing. Jr wanted to get me a new axe and Sr thought I needed a new fixed blade, a thinly veiled attempt to reclaim the Ruko I stole from him, I suspect.) Jr then suggested a machete and a tomahawk, so Sir thought a bigger fixed blade would be a nice in between, and get to what I was after - better wood processing. (Combined with my new Bacho Laplander, I'm laughing!) We set a budget ceiling of about $70-$80 and wanted to buy it locally. It came down to the Gerber, a Buck Vanguard, a LesStroud Camillus and the LMF Mora. The local army surplus guy had an Ontario, Cold Steel, Kershaw, SOG and some other good names, but he's just wayyy too overpriced on that stuff that I dismissed the idea quickly.

I've played with it a little since we got home and I really like it. I'm not letting my hubby know where I keep that Ruko yet though. :-)

Thought I'd give the heads up about the Mora to anyone that might be looking.

Edited by bacpacjac (05/18/13 12:52 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260653 - 05/17/13 08:22 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
For those who have an MEC nearby, or like ordering from them, they have the FireKnife for $33 ... I actually helped my step-son select that knife for his outdoor adventures earlier this year (maybe last year?).

Regarding the Gerber BG knives, I don't think I've heard a bad thing about them from anyone who has tested & used them. There's a bit of hate out there, but by all reports they are solid and effective tools. Last year I got my son the Scout folder and it is a great little knife. Actually, they've expanded the BG survival line for 2013 and there seem to be some good picks among the new stuff too.

#260654 - 05/17/13 09:41 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Randall. Model 13, attack/survival with the saw teeth.

While I own Mora, Gerber, SOG, Buck, SAKs and many others - if the SHTF I am grabbing the Randall. I trust BG as far as the nearest Holiday Inn. I like the Les Stroud knives, but the sheaths are way too big.

#260655 - 05/17/13 10:13 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: JBMat]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I trust BG as far as the nearest Holiday Inn.

And, unfortunately, this is pretty much the quality of most of the critiques of the Gerber BG knives that can be found around the internet.

For completeness, the only exception that I've run across are the very legitimate gripes about the pommel issue that caused the recall on the first version of the original BG Ultimate Knife. Most everything else seems to be either criticisms of the aesthetics or about Bear himself.

#260657 - 05/17/13 11:02 PM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Unless Randall has changed the design/kerf of the teeth on the saw-backs, I would not be wanting a Randall for its saw. The large format Victorinox Swiss Army knives have a locking blade and an outstanding saw for their size.

Better, if you are in a situation where you might need a saw, get a dedicated saw that is really designed to cut wood. The energy expended cutting would with a compromise is expensive energy in a survival situation. A small garden pruning saw fills the need nicely and can be had cheap.

#260658 - 05/18/13 12:48 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I trust BG as far as the nearest Holiday Inn.

And, unfortunately, this is pretty much the quality of most of the critiques of the Gerber BG knives that can be found around the internet.

For completeness, the only exception that I've run across are the very legitimate gripes about the pommel issue that caused the recall on the first version of the original BG Ultimate Knife. Most everything else seems to be either criticisms of the aesthetics or about Bear himself.

I agree, Denis. BG's reputation has taken a beating and that includes what seem like blanket conclusions about his stuff. It's hard sometimes to wade through all of that to find a real nugget of the criticism about this knife.

Other than that pommel in the first run, I haven't heard a negative thing, except the predictable "I hate serrated blades!", which they now offer an alternative to. It's an alternative I preferred, btw, given that I will use this knife to baton wood and don't want to lose the blade length. (My Ruko Muela has a saw back, which doesn't effect the blade length, but it's a smaller knife.)

My hubby and son are determined that I should use a black Sharpie to black out the orange BG on the knife. I like orange, and could do without the Bear insignia, but I gather he was a great Chief Scout in the UK, so I'm going to live with it for that reason if nothing else. (FWIW, I really like his book "Living Wild", and did watch all the shows, but wouldn't really call myself a fan.)

On the contrary, I've heard lots of negatives about Les's Camillus knives. (Which saddens me, because I like Les and want to support a good Canadian boy.) I don't pretend to understand the steel rating debate, but on a very simplistic level, I liked BG's ferro rod, sharpener and sheath, better than Les's ferro rod, survival kit and sheath. (The pocket on that sheath just begged me to start manufacturing a new PSK to fit in it, btw.) Ultimately, I liked the feel of Beard's knife the best in my hand.

BTW, I would get a Moral for a day hike pack, if I could pay $20 or maybe $30 for the LMF or another beefier version, rather than the $40 they wanted today.

#260660 - 05/18/13 02:08 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Let me be clear. The significance of a knife, especially a big knife (blade over 4" in length) in a "survival" situation is way overrated. I routinely carry at least one knife, but I have met every outdoor situation capably with something like a SAK or a multitool. Money spent on the typical large (5 inch or bigger) survival knife is essentially money wasted, money which would be better allocated to other more basic survival items, like a good fire making kit, basic shelter gear (especially a lightweight tarp) a FAK and FA training, and so on. You will do just fine with a moderate size Swiss Army or Mora knife, especially if you can keep it sharp. The SAK has the advantage of being something you can can and will carry just about everywhere;hence it is likely to be the blade available when things go off track.

It's not that I don't like knives; I own a bunch, including a couple of the large bladed types I am ranting against. I rarely carry them, because they are just too heavy and cumbersome for what they can accomplish.

We have all seen too many Tarzan and Rambo movies. They are Hollywood and I am speaking from a real life perspective.

#260662 - 05/18/13 02:18 AM Re: Best survival/ hunting knife? [Re: robbiejoe111]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm with you, hikermkor. I've never been a fan a big knives. I've always gotten along with my SAK, folder or my Wave. Only in the last few years have I even brought a fixed blade with me, and the two I have are only 3.5 and 4 inches respectively. I've never felt the need for a big knife than my 4 inch Ruko Muela. I've historically just gone for a saw or axe for bigger jobs.

I didn't actually want one. I'm not complaining though, and after two sessions with it, I like it. It's a very thoughtful gift. I'm using my knife more and more as a substitute for an axe or hatchet so it'll be a good experiment for me. I'm thinking of it like a little machete. I can't imagine wearing it on my belt though, and I won't forgo a good axe in the winter and early Spring. The knife is in my pack now, snugly beside my new Bacho Laplander. My Wave will be on my belt too, since I use that sucker alot, thinking particularly about the pliers when I'm cooking. It should be an interesting summer of picking a new favourite combination of sharps.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.