Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#256595 - 02/16/13 10:44 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: UTAlumnus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
They were 150 miles from the Mexican Peninsula. Why did they tow the ship all the way back to Mobile to offload the passengers and most of the crew instead of a flight out of Cancun?

I read that the currents were such that it was almost as quick to bring them back to Mobile. The same news article said that a number of passengers didn't have passports.

#256600 - 02/17/13 02:15 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: ireckon]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

To ask a stupid question (maybe not so stupid since I actually served in the Navy onboard a Navy ship and spent a fair amount of time at sea) - couldn't they just use the bathroom over the side?

I suppose in theory you could, but anything besides a male #1 would be entirely impractical and unimaginable given all those people onboard. The way you wrote your question is awkward. I can certainly imagine throwing waste overboard if that's what you mean.

Basically, yes. Poop/pee in bucket, throw contents of bucket over side. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

#256617 - 02/17/13 07:32 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Another point to consider re: towing.

Technically this ship was maritime salvage - not able to make way, drifting. If "JB's Martime Towing" got there first and was able to put a line aboard, Carnival would have owed me a bucketload of cash. At least 10% of the value of the ship and contents.

As it was, they contracted with a company to tow the ship to where they wanted - home port is probably nearest to repair facilities/resupply/cleaning. Also, consider the passengers who had flights out of the nearby area.

I still have to wonder how much was paid to have it towed.

#256619 - 02/17/13 08:03 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: JBMat]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Technically this ship was maritime salvage - not able to make way, drifting.

I know nothing about maritime laws, but I would highly doubt that if your engines quit then you become immediate fodder for anybody who shows up and throws a rope around you and claims you. That's a fairly ridiculous concept to imagine.

#256626 - 02/18/13 12:45 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
I know nothing about maritime laws, but I would highly doubt that if your engines quit then you become immediate fodder for anybody who shows up and throws a rope around you and claims you. That's a fairly ridiculous concept to imagine.

Maritime salvage law is weird. I am not an attorney and I don't play one on the Internet, but here is my understanding:

If a vessel is abandoned, a salvage court will award some largeish amount to the salvor based on the worth of the vessel, the risk and the cost undertaken by the salvor. If the vessel is not abandoned, the owners/captain should engage in an explicit towing contract before accepting a tow, or whoever tows it may be entitled to a substantial salvage award. There's a good article about this at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_salvage .

#256627 - 02/18/13 01:26 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I highly doubt the Captain of Carnival Triumph would have accepted a tow from a salvage vessel not under contract. The crew of Carnival Triumph would probably just refuse the tow and cut the line.

Getting a line on a ship that's been abandoned is one thing; claiming salvage rights of a cruise ship still manned by her crew and filled with passengers is an entirely different thing.

#256635 - 02/18/13 04:05 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"claiming salvage rights of a cruise ship still manned by her crew and filled with passengers is an entirely different thing."
I would bet the passengers would have thrown the Captain and crew overboard to get that cruiseship in port a day or two sooner. Just my opinion.

#256666 - 02/19/13 12:45 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I can see the currents being a factor but not the passports. IIRC this was a cruise from Galveston and specifically would have been stopping (or did stop) in Mexico. Wouldn't they have been required for entry back into the US? Even if they wouldn't have needed them on docking at the end of the trip, I would think that both the Mexican and US governments could have made that problem disappear.

#256671 - 02/19/13 01:50 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Refugees float in on filthy human waste laiden delapidated rafts and are tentatively allowed onto US soil without passports. I don't see the cruise ship passengers being a significantly different demographic that would require us to turn them away.

#256674 - 02/19/13 02:41 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: haertig]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
It would have been a problem on disembarking in Mexico or after getting off the plane back in the US. For the Mexican side, I was thinking that there is probably some international agreement concerning a registered commercial passenger vessel with a declared emergency. Especially when the nearest port with the capacity to handle a ship that size is also a tourist destination.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.