Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#256542 - 02/15/13 04:53 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Jolt]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Jolt
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Very simply, cruise ships pack a lot of people together in a small space, just as occurs at a stadium or nightclub, etc. Very simply, I don't like crowds. I prefer to face challenges where at least I have room to maneuver.

Of course, creating a crowd and putting it on the water does generate some unique problems.

This, exactly. Cruises just don't sound fun to me for exactly this reason...not only is it a big crowd, but there is literally NO escape. Not cool.
Ditto again.

#256544 - 02/15/13 05:06 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
...poor stability due to a smaller metacentric height leading to very low angles of list before the whole structure capsizes with a very high roll speed making evacuation times very small.

I would think once you reach the point of capsizing, even a very tight, stable ship would roll over just as quickly.

Cruise ships are engineering compromises. So are commercial aircraft and passenger cars and our iPhones and houses, etc. I wouldn't go so far as calling them death traps.

Unlike ships engineered to traverse the open ocean like the ocean liner Queen Mary 2 or even the Titanic, your typical cruise ship is intended to stay in calmer waters. That's not a design flaw, that's simply its intended environment. Ferries may sometimes encounter rough water beyond its intended limits, too, but that doesn't make them intentionally dangerous either.

Cruise ships could be designed to be more stable, sure. But would they be as popular when most of the cabins are in the interior of the hull and have no windows or balconies? If prices were much higher because there are fewer paying customers per ship? If there were fewer amenities, such as topside pools? If the risk of sea sickness were higher because a more stable ship rolls much more quickly back and forth with the waves? It's all a compromise. I wish my car were as safe and as robust as the Presidential limo, but it's too expensive, too big, too fuel inefficient, etc. so I would never pay for a car like that.

#256548 - 02/15/13 05:36 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is also the problem of rogue waves. Rogue waves can even occur in so called calm seas, although even the Gulf of Mexico can sometimes have some choppy seas..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary

Quote:
In December 1942, Queen Mary was carrying 16,082 American troops from New York to Great Britain, a standing record for the most passengers ever transported on one vessel.[20] While 700 miles (1,100 km) from Scotland during a gale, she was suddenly hit broadside by a rogue wave that may have reached a height of 28 metres (92 ft). An account of this crossing can be found in Walter Ford Carter's book, No Greater Sacrifice, No Greater Love. Carter's father, Dr. Norval Carter, part of the 110th Station Hospital on board at the time, wrote that at one point Queen Mary "damned near capsized... One moment the top deck was at its usual height and then, swoom! Down, over, and forward she would pitch." It was calculated later that the ship tilted 52 degrees, and would have capsized had she rolled another 3 degrees.[21] The incident inspired Paul Gallico to write his story, The Poseidon Adventure, which was later made into a film by the same name, in which Queen Mary depicted SS Poseidon.

#256561 - 02/15/13 08:29 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I told my wife the other day that there's no way I'd set foot on a cruise ship without bringing food and water with me. And anything else I think I'd need for that duration underway.

To ask a stupid question (maybe not so stupid since I actually served in the Navy onboard a Navy ship and spent a fair amount of time at sea) - couldn't they just use the bathroom over the side?

(not to say that any member of the US Navy has ever performed such an action <snickering>)

#256571 - 02/16/13 01:22 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: 2005RedTJ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

To ask a stupid question (maybe not so stupid since I actually served in the Navy onboard a Navy ship and spent a fair amount of time at sea) - couldn't they just use the bathroom over the side?

I suppose in theory you could, but anything besides a male #1 would be entirely impractical and unimaginable given all those people onboard. The way you wrote your question is awkward. I can certainly imagine throwing waste overboard if that's what you mean.

#256577 - 02/16/13 05:25 AM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm reading reports of a very responsive crew attending to the needs of passengers - doing their level best, without power. That's good, or at least better than the Costa Concordia evacuation. Sorta like they might have drilled for this scenario. There are accounts of bariatric patients needing assistance going up and down stairs, continued cooling of meds, and other common everyday urgencies that have to be attended to, or a bad situation gets worse real fast. I'd say that someone on board was in command and paying a lot of attention to customer service. I'd be interested after hearing more whether this assistance extended below the water line, to the second, third or fourth class passengers (or whatever their equivalent is).

And I'm sorta curious about disposing of sewage as well. What did they do with the bags, did crew members collect them, and stow them? I find it strange that they would leave them in the hallways. Was there any disposal at sea, or dumping directly into the bilges? Inquiring minds want to know...

#256583 - 02/16/13 12:21 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Very simply, cruise ships pack a lot of people together in a small space, just as occurs at a stadium or nightclub, etc. Very simply, I don't like crowds. I prefer to face challenges where at least I have room to maneuver.

Of course, creating a crowd and putting it on the water does generate some unique problems.

+1 on that one. If I cannot bug out on my own two feet...

And yeah I'm the guy who always has a torch on him.

#256585 - 02/16/13 02:39 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
In today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/...ry.html?hpid=z2

Passengers ill-suited for loss of cruise control

"...I have cruised, and I loved it, and so I say fondly: A cruise ship’s passenger log is comprised entirely of the exact demographic that is least prepared for a cruise to go to pot. A cruise is a giant boat full of your mother-in-law. Your mother-in-law does not belong in the wild."

#256587 - 02/16/13 05:15 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
LOL. I just literally CHOKED on my lunch Dagny! There are several good one liners in that story.

#256594 - 02/16/13 09:50 PM Re: Another Marooned Cruise Ship [Re: Doug_Ritter]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
They were 150 miles from the Mexican Peninsula. Why did they tow the ship all the way back to Mobile to offload the passengers and most of the crew instead of a flight out of Cancun?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.