The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#256404 - 02/11/13 03:52 AM Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
One of the more interesting stoves I'm reviewing right now is the IsoClean stove from Flat Cat Gear. The IsoClean stove is a "universal" alcohol stove in that it will burn any kind of the three alcohols typically out there: methyl (as in HEET), ethyl (typically the primary component of denatured alcohol), and isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It will also burn blends of any of the three common alcohols.

I find the idea of a universal alcohol stove very appealing in that I can get fuel at gas stations (HEET), hardware stoves (denatured), or pharmacies (rubbing). Even fairly small towns may have one of the three types.

I'm not done with reviewing the stove, but I thought I'd post a preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CZdJbHmxTE

HJ

Edit: Can't get the video to embed, so, sorry, but just a link. frown

Edited by Hikin_Jim (02/11/13 03:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Can't get the video to embed

#256409 - 02/11/13 01:36 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jim... I've posted this before, and you may have seen it...from the vids I've viewed, it seems that the isopropyl stoves need some form of glowing wire preheat and lots of air, low in the combustion chamber... I used 1/4" hardware cloth... two rings on the outside for a pot support and an inner ring for a vaporization chamber...screen in bottom to tie the mesh together... hand paper punch for the air holes... this is burning 70% isoproply... needs to preheat until the wire mesh glows, then needs the pot to sit on top

#256418 - 02/11/13 05:09 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: LesSnyder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The stove I'm reviewing, the IsoClean, is a simple open cup. The stove is intended to be used with the Bobcat system that I posted a review of recently. With the Bobcat, the pot is supported by the windscreen and is very stable.

For the video, I put the pot on a stand and propped the windscreen open. If you look closely at the video, you can see the stand. The stand is just two pieces of bent aluminum rod adjusted such that the pot height above the stove is the same as it would be were the pot resting on the windscreen.

A video shot with a closed windscreen might be a little less interesting. smile

The pot had to warm up a little before the flame turned blue, but it didn't take long.

Interestingly, Flat Cat has another version of the stove meant to work with a canteen cup. The stove produces a, you guessed it, kidney shaped flame more or less matching the shape of the cup -- keeping the handles cool. Now, I thought that was pretty danged clever.

HJ

#256421 - 02/11/13 06:28 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Jim, Nice review.

Very versatile.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#256422 - 02/11/13 07:12 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

That's just a preview. One video does not a review make. smile I'm working on it...

HJ

#256424 - 02/11/13 07:14 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: LesSnyder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Jim... I've posted this before, and you may have seen it...from the vids I've viewed, it seems that the isopropyl stoves need some form of glowing wire preheat and lots of air, low in the combustion chamber... I used 1/4" hardware cloth... two rings on the outside for a pot support and an inner ring for a vaporization chamber...screen in bottom to tie the mesh together... hand paper punch for the air holes... this is burning 70% isoproply... needs to preheat until the wire mesh glows, then needs the pot to sit on top

Oh, and those are great photos by the way. Would you mind if I used them in my review?

HJ

#256425 - 02/11/13 08:14 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Jim... be my guest... a note, the screen is only two rows high (1/2")... you see some reflection off the bottom of the pyrex pot

#256433 - 02/11/13 11:36 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: LesSnyder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Ah, thanks. It does appear taller.

HJ

#256631 - 02/18/13 01:49 AM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Seems to me the difference between isonpropanol and other alcohols is that isopropanol needs more air supply to help the burning.

Can you please show the alcohol cup alone without the bobcat windscreen ?

Thanks

#256737 - 02/21/13 11:32 PM Re: Preview: The IsoClean Universal Alcohol Stove [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I will post some. I don't have all my photos uploaded yet.

HJ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 420 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.