The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#256317 - 02/08/13 03:57 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Hi Jim,we havent met,Im a newbie but welcome back.

Like your pictorial,very nice.

#256318 - 02/08/13 05:30 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Not even "rubbing" alcohol? (i.e. isopropyl alcohol, a.k.a. isopropanol)

The overwhelming majority of campers around here use gas (propane) stoves, in addition to "campfires" off course. But wood is scarce and there are more and more laws against cutting trees.

Being more of a prepper than regular camper, I wanted to STORE stoves in the car trunk and other such places to use in case of emergency. Propane and liquid fuels are risky, and that is why I was looking for solid fuels, including coal . Maybe we can look at gasoline as a special case liquid fuel becuase it is already there in the car, but it has additives and generally we are not used to it and its risks. Although some campers are trying to propagate it , for its cheap price here if for nothing else.

Back to rubbing alcohol. I may have to check in drug stores. Hoever, it doesn't burn as cleanly ( effieciently) as denatured alcohol. Even esbit tabs seem to burn cleaner. I will be looking forward for anything you write about that in the future.

In the past, I have used denatured alchohol for my daughter's art class. That would be ideal as a clean fuel to store at home and then take out in emergencies. Shelf life is better than gasoline, but I cannot find it anymore.

HEET gas additive ( methanol) is not vailable here.
Other brands are available and it is not known to me what they contain.

Anyway, I found a heap of esbit tabs with some distributor who imported them "by mistake" as BBQ firestarter. They were more expensive (relatively) cmpared to the regular firestarters so he doesn't seem eager to repeat his "mistake". I bought about 200 tabs and hope for someone else to repeat the same mistake. So far it is my prefrerred prepper stove fuel, but since it is not always available I am still exploring the stove world for other alternatives.

Again Jim, your work is really appreciated.

#256319 - 02/08/13 06:48 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Chisel]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
ESBIT is by far the most stable of the various fuels typically used for portable stoves. ESBIT is very safe. It's actually a little bit hard to light. ESBIT is my fuel of choice for car trunks, caches, etc. It's a low flame velocity fuel, so you need a windscreen, but a bit of household aluminum foil or the lid from a caterers tray or the like will do.

I too get a little nervous leaving either gasoline or canisters of propane in my trunk, particularly if were there on an extended basis. There's a good safety factor on propane cylinders, but ... after 3 years or something? Dunno.

As for isopropanol, there are now stoves that will burn ispropanol cleanly. I intend to review one for my blog in the very near future.

HJ

#256322 - 02/08/13 12:34 PM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Esbit is what I use for caches and kits that are tucked away in anticipation of emergencies, although for short term use, I have no problem with isobutane canisters which are super reliable, lightweight, and easy when used with the appropriate burner head. I understand isobutane is lighter than air and will disperse, unlike propane, which has the undesirable characteristic of pooling in enclosed spaces.

A little bit of handcleanser helps the esbit tab to get going....

#256325 - 02/08/13 01:36 PM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor

A little bit of handcleanser helps the esbit tab to get going....

Nice tip! Thanks hikermor!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#256333 - 02/08/13 08:02 PM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Esbit is what I use for caches and kits that are tucked away in anticipation of emergencies, although for short term use, I have no problem with isobutane canisters which are super reliable, lightweight, and easy when used with the appropriate burner head. I understand isobutane is lighter than air and will disperse, unlike propane, which has the undesirable characteristic of pooling in enclosed spaces.
Actually, both propane and butane (or isobutane) are heavier than air and can pool and can be very hazardous. You'll see this in news reports sometimes: propane leaks from a stove overnight and then someone stikes a match in the morning, basically the house is removed from the face of the earth at that juncture. I'm going to go ahead and call that hazardous. Now, the amounts in portable stoves are much smaller, but still I would NOT leave a stove attached to a canister in an enclosed space like a car's trunk. If you left the valve slightly open... Well, that could be, um, bad.

A little bit of handcleanser helps the esbit tab to get going...
Good tip. A shot of alcohol (methyl, ethyl, or isopropyl) also helps. If you havn't got any form of alcohol along, try this: put your ESBIT tab on the edge of your stove, overhanging a bit. Get your match underneath the ESBIT. When it lights push it into place with your knife. Alternatively, torch type lighters work really well (some time labeled "windproof"). Lastly, you can always shave some bits off the ESBIT with your knife, and the bits will typically light more easily than a whole tab. There are a couple of tricks to working with ESBIT, but it's really a nice fuel after you've got the hang of it. Perfect for office BOB's, car emergency kits, caches, etc. It does have a low velocity flame, so it's VERY susceptible to wind, so inclusion of a windsreen is really important.

HJ

#256339 - 02/08/13 10:29 PM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Jim, thanks for the correction on butane. good to know....

Edited by hikermor (02/08/13 10:29 PM)

#256341 - 02/09/13 02:02 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Probably not a real concern in a well ventilated area like the outdoors or even most tents, but in campers, huts, maybe a cave that you've take shelter in (I've done it), it could be, um, an issue.

HJ

#256343 - 02/09/13 02:35 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

Welcome back Jim! Great review. Can't believe I've never thought of using my ti pot as a dutch oven. Good stuff.

#256344 - 02/09/13 03:09 AM Re: The Bobcat Stove System [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
you can always shave some bits off the ESBIT with your knife, and the bits will typically light more easily than a whole tab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXtrOdvIWeQ

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.