Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255912 - 01/28/13 01:25 AM Cold Weather Hat
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
What kind of hat(s) do you wear in cold weather?

For the most part I wear a Tilley Winter Hat (wool with brim). I wear glasses, and when it snows I HATE getting my glasses wet, thus the brim is important to me.

I also wear a Carhartt knit cap when needing to keep ears warm over a longer time.

I bought a Kromer Rancher Cap last year (like their famous Kromer Stormy Cap, but the Rancher has more insulation and bigger ear flaps) BUT I have a giant head and even the largest size available is a bit too tight. I bought a wooden had stretcher and need to wet down the cap and try stretching it a bit. I hope it works.

#255916 - 01/28/13 03:46 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
For cold days, I have a Wigwam Mills worsted wool watch cap that I wear.... It's one size fits all, but it's still a little tight (I haven't worn it that much yet to stretch it out) but it's very warm.

To keep the sun off me, I sometimes wear a Boonie Hat made by Rapid Dominance. This had folds up real well, but keeps it's shape. It's good for rainy days as well and is part of my rain-day weather kit.

#255917 - 01/28/13 03:51 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Outdoor Research Wind Warrior is very warm if you don't need a brim.

#255918 - 01/28/13 04:03 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
My Father In Law gave me a Chicago style hat which I've nearly worn out.

Looks like a British sports car driver's cap ("Grand dad cap") but it has earflaps that can be brought down to cover ears and more of the back of the head. The flaps are tucked up inside when not needed.

My parka also has an insulated hood and I carry a neck fleece for those really cold days.

#255919 - 01/28/13 04:25 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: unimogbert]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I like some combination of a balaclava helmet, worn in various configurations, and a parka hood, especially when a brim is needed.

#255933 - 01/28/13 03:31 PM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: unimogbert]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
My Father In Law gave me a Chicago style hat which I've nearly worn out.

Looks like a British sports car driver's cap ("Grand dad cap") but it has earflaps that can be brought down to cover ears and more of the back of the head. The flaps are tucked up inside when not needed.

My parka also has an insulated hood and I carry a neck fleece for those really cold days.

I have a neck fleece that I carry in my day pack, I love it. My Carhartt coats both have hoods as well, and they are very warm. I always have a pair of thinsulate gloves available.

#255934 - 01/28/13 03:36 PM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
now in its 4th season of almost daily use when cold

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2011/12/broner-farm-and-fleet-hat-update.html

Bob

#255970 - 01/29/13 03:18 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
What kind of hat(s) do you wear in cold weather?

For the most part I wear a Tilley Winter Hat (wool with brim). I wear glasses, and when it snows I HATE getting my glasses wet, thus the brim is important to me.

I also wear a Carhartt knit cap when needing to keep ears warm over a longer time.

I bought a Kromer Rancher Cap last year (like their famous Kromer Stormy Cap, but the Rancher has more insulation and bigger ear flaps) BUT I have a giant head and even the largest size available is a bit too tight. I bought a wooden had stretcher and need to wet down the cap and try stretching it a bit. I hope it works.

While I love the Tilley for summer, my winter head cover is the proverbial toque. Mine is a dual layer wool outer with thinsulate liner. Picked it up for $2 at a bargain bin and the warmest head covering I have. To improve on this, add a balaclava then put on the toque and then flip up your parka's hood!

I understand the fur lined toques with ear flaps (trapper hat) also work great -- a bit expensive though. Women's version

#255983 - 01/29/13 03:34 PM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Usually fleece.

#256001 - 01/30/13 01:44 AM Re: Cold Weather Hat [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have a Countycomm WX Warrior Beanie. I love it because its warm and folds down very small. It lives in my jacket pocket at all times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.