The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255697 - 01/21/13 06:31 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sorry no pics here but a remark about lint

Everyone talks about dryer lint as an excellent firestarter. The other day, I was helping the wife emptying the vaccuum cleaner and there was lots of dust in it, but also lots of lint ( from vacuuming the carpets).

I haven't tried it yet but looks like ready to use if you put up a little with removing the fine dust, or even washing it.

As far as my fire kit is concerned, mine is a bit heaver and bulkier and it is meant for the car trunk, not for a pack. It has the following :

One homemade esbit-type stove made from a can ( 3 inch diameter )
One homemade esbit-type stove made from a square electrical outlet box (4x4 inches)
two different boxes of esbit-type tabs (unknown manufacturer and brand)
One box ( 1 kilogram ) of coal briquettes
assorted sparkers ( 1 firesteel + 1 flint sparker + 1 empty lighter )
2-3 boxes of matches

Keep in mind that this fire kit is meant for extremely hot regions. It has no full butane lighter ( I have such lighters around in other kis but not left in the car trunk )

#255698 - 01/21/13 06:38 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Wow!
Backup on top of backup.
Ok then, how about one more---a small vial or can of lighter fluid aka Coleman fuel? smile

#255699 - 01/21/13 06:59 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How about a Bic lighter and the tinder from one of DR's PSK's. Seriously, that's it. Everything else will be gathered on site ... or not.

#255713 - 01/21/13 09:06 PM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Russ]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
[img:center]http://[/img]

BPJack,

I don't carry a kit per se, but this is my fire stuff which gets dispersed throughout pack and pockets.

In no particular order:

Brunton storm lighter, fully fuelled (pocket)

Mariner matches x 12 w/ 2 striker strips. There's a couple of tinder quick mashed in there as well to keep the matches from moving about, and for... Well ...tinder if I need it I guess. The lid has glow tape glued to it. (This goes in my pack)

Home made deer horn fire steel thingy and striker(pocket)

Coghlans wax tinder in zip bag (pocket)

And lastly (Yes, I know you are all laughing), but that is a road flare across the bottom there. You Americans (except maybe the ones in Alaska) don't know what cold really is. Up here, when you need a fire in an emergency you need it yesterday, no messing around with little bow drills and char cloth and types of fungus ....that's fine for keeping the skills sharp, but when It's -50 deg cel I ain't messing around with that BS. If I can't get a fire going with this, then I don't belong in the woods at all. It's sealed in plastic and rides in my pack. Makes an obviously descent signal too (as designed)

And that's it. Nothing fancy or elaborate. I usually won't ever need anything more than the lighter as it burns hotter than hell. It must ride in a warm pocket to work however, as compressed gas doesn't like the minus temps much.

#255723 - 01/22/13 12:37 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well said Stephan. Some people carry multiple knives, weaponry, or whatever but, IMO, cold, wet, windy Canadian with winters make multiple fire starting/extending redundancies worth the extra weight and space. (The kit isn't really that big or heavy, even if I added what I carry in my pockets.) Besides sharpening my fire skills, or those of my son or Scouts, shelter and fire are absolute musts in the winter. Finding dry tinder, kindling or fuel isn't always a simple matter. Sometimes it takes a while to get a fire going and, as you say, when you really need it, you need it yesterday.

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping that when I do, the contents of this kit will be enough to boil water, regardless of what other natural tinder/kindling I can find.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255725 - 01/22/13 01:00 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm hoping that when I do, the contents of this kit will be enough to boil water, regardless of what other natural tinder/kindling I can find.

Well, here's what you need to do. Wait till the next freezing cold day(like today @ around -25 ish)
Soak your gloves in water a few minutes. Put them on and go into your back yard for 20 minutes or so.
Once your hands are nice and cold, take your fire tin and try to light a small fire using the components you have. If you cannot get a fire going you may want to reconsider some of the things you are packing. I bet you would be surprised at how hard even a BIC lighter can be when your hands are so cold.

I'm not trying to sound snarky either, but to truly test you kit would be under the worst conditions. I am willing to bet you may reconsider a few of your tins components after such a test.....

#255726 - 01/22/13 01:15 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Stephen
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Well, here's what you need to do. Wait till the next freezing cold day(like today @ around -25 ish)
Soak your gloves in water a few minutes. Put them on and go into your back yard for 20 minutes or so.
Once your hands are nice and cold, take your fire tin and try to light a small fire using the components you have. If you cannot get a fire going you may want to reconsider some of the things you are packing. I bet you would be surprised at how hard even a BIC lighter can be when your hands are so cold.

I'm not trying to sound snarky either, but to truly test you kit would be under the worst conditions. I am willing to bet you may reconsider a few of your tins components after such a test.....

I'm totally with you Stephen. I had a hard time lighting my mini BIC and an esbit cube a couple of weeks ago on a cold windy day. That experience was actually the inspiration for this new kit, hence the multiple redunancies. (Bic, matches and Ferro rod.) Oh! I also swaped the BIC I used to edc for a push button butane lighter!

#255727 - 01/22/13 01:33 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

I hear you girl. A BIC is o.k but those push buttons jobbies are better. It's easier to push a button than to roll the wheel on the BIC any day off the week. The only problem is keeping it warm so the fuel doesn't lose pressure. I can't say enough about that brunton. Not cheap at 80 bucks, but worth it. I carry the matches and fire steel in case the lighter runs dry or breaks.

With the flare I don't even need to worry about tinder really... I can just rip arm sized dead wood off the ground and toss the flare in the middle.
I don't want to be making fuzz sticks when my hands are cold either. I like having all my digits.

#255728 - 01/22/13 01:40 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm itching to try the flare thing. Sounds like a great sure fire fire. Cold and wet can equal death and you don't want to be fussing around. Quick, easy and dependable is the way to go.

#255729 - 01/22/13 02:04 AM Re: Show Us Your Fire Kit [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
In your neck of the woods, carrying a little extra weight to insure the ability to make fire is a really good idea. Here in SoCal it was in the low 80s today - a perfect day, but even here we have storms that can make carrying extra fire makers worthwhile....

low 80's eh? grrrr... green jealousy rears it head. It's -45*C with the wind chill today. But then again, we don't have any earthquakes.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.