Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#256599 - 02/17/13 01:23 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: Pete]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
It really is tragic.

It is also a cautionary tale -- a good reminder to us all to go over our gear lists one more time.

When people tease me about carrying the 10,000 essentials,

I should hand them a copy of the article in the original post of this thread.

HJ

#256618 - 02/17/13 07:36 PM Re: Another tragedy [Re: airballrad]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
HJ - Could I ask why you decided to pack a small child? I've been camping quite a bit and have never needed one, nor seen the need to bring one along. I'm sure if you really needed one it could be improvised in camp - a simple effigy, small animals, etc. Maybe there is such a thing as bringing too much stuff.

(For the satire impaired - the above was a joke.)

#256621 - 02/17/13 10:15 PM Re: Another tragedy [Re: airballrad]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"HJ - Could I ask why you decided to pack a small child?"

My theory is that he's testing his ability to do extreme hiking while being in a totally sleep-deprived state. That method also worked for me in the past :-)

Pete2

#256632 - 02/18/13 02:10 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: airballrad]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

The Heatsheets Bivvy and Blanket look great. These are the ones from Adventure Medical, yes? The price is right. Are they reasonably durable?

I wonder if a poncho made of this reflective material would be a great do-everything combination. It would probably get too hot for moving around in, but I think it might be very useful when just sitting around. I did a quick search and saw one on Amazon, but have no idea about the size or quality.

Any other recommendations appreciated!

David

#256636 - 02/18/13 04:09 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
The Heatsheets Bivvy and Blanket look great. These are the ones from Adventure Medical, yes? The price is right. Are they reasonably durable?

Yes to both. Durability is much higher than a thin Mylar "space" blanket but somewhat less than the sportsmans "space" blanket that I use as a small tarp.

I wouldn't care to carry a poncho made of this material -- I'd think the bivvy would be better for resting still, and a poncho would undoubtedly be pretty warm for moving around. You can improvise a poncho from a blanket at need.

#256637 - 02/18/13 04:11 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: Pete]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Pete
"HJ - Could I ask why you decided to pack a small child?"

My theory is that he's testing his ability to do extreme hiking while being in a totally sleep-deprived state. That method also worked for me in the past :-)

Shown this thread, my wife scoffs at all of us. HJ carries his daughter to balance the load.

#256667 - 02/19/13 01:00 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: Mark_M]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I don't know what switch gets flipped making some people more aware of their own safety and security, while most others live in blissful ignorance.

Some learn it from something like the Scouts. Some are just wired that way. Some survive when events say "Oh yeah? Watch this!" and decide never again will I be caught standing flat footed with my mouth hanging open.

For me, it was a combination of all three. Scouts & general attitude got a wake-up call from it taking 2 1/2 hours to get home one winter (normally 20min. drive).

#256692 - 02/19/13 05:56 PM Re: Another tragedy [Re: airballrad]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Shown this thread, my wife scoffs at all of us"

Hahahahaha!!!
Too true :-)

Pete2

#256723 - 02/21/13 02:16 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: chaosmagnet]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Yes to both. Durability is much higher than a thin Mylar "space" blanket but somewhat less than the sportsmans "space" blanket that I use as a small tarp.

I wouldn't care to carry a poncho made of this material -- I'd think the bivvy would be better for resting still, and a poncho would undoubtedly be pretty warm for moving around. You can improvise a poncho from a blanket at need.

Yeah, I think this makes sense. I was trying to multi-purpose the thing.

So although I know this has been covered elsewhere, since we're on the subject: which emergency poncho?

Criteria: 1. Reasonably durable 2. Small and light 3. Cheap 4. Large

I have seen some high-tech ones, but procrastinate getting them because of the high price. I have used the super-cheapy (like $1) ones, but basically a single time each. So just as the survival blanket we are talking about above is a good quality item at a very reasonable price, what sort of emergency poncho would be its equivalent?

David

#256725 - 02/21/13 05:02 AM Re: Another tragedy [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

So just as the survival blanket we are talking about above is a good quality item at a very reasonable price, what sort of emergency poncho would be its equivalent?

I'd be interested in such a thing as well. I either carry the $1 throwaways, a contractor bag, or my expensive, durable, breathable rain shell. It packs down reasonably well but would never fit in a cargo pocket.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.