The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#255494 - 01/15/13 01:58 AM Omnifuel vs Dragonfly
peobey Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hello Everybody! I was looking on the net for a good review or test about multi-fuel stoves and found this site. It's very complete about all the details and test. But I have question. I'm in the Canadian military and was looking for a stove that has the capability to simmer and works on JP8 (our common NATO diesel fuel). Weight not factor, I can't decide on which one to get. Any experienced input?

Thank you kindly

#255497 - 01/15/13 03:16 AM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I believe the peak 1 (Canadian Military issued) may suffice. It has an adapter for kerosene which is jetfuel more or less. The adapters are never used because(as you know) nothing else except naphta will work in our kind of cold.

Well, except the yukon stove or a good old herman nelson running directly off a generator.

I havn't tried it, but I am told they will also work on gasoline although I can't imagine it burns very clean. As far as I knew, Military issued JP-8 is jet fuel, not diesel. I know they are similar but diesel has a lot more "stuff" added to it.

Depending on your unit, MSR whisperlights are slowly making their way into the toboggans but they also only run on white gas/kero.

#255501 - 01/15/13 04:06 AM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: Stephen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
JP-8 is jet fuel, but it apparently also works in diesel engines.

The Dragonfly simmers well and according to MSR, it can use jet fuel, diesel and unleaded auto fuel in addition to the usual stove fuels such as white gas and kerosene.

That said, I have no experience using any stove with JP.

#255517 - 01/15/13 01:28 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: peobey
I'm in the Canadian military and was looking for a stove that has the capability to simmer and works on JP8 (our common NATO diesel fuel).
Quick google search says statement is accurate.

#255525 - 01/15/13 04:41 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: spuds]
peobey Offline
Stranger

As spuds says: Outside of powering aircraft, JP-8 is used as a fuel for heaters, stoves,[1] tanks,[2] by the U.S. military as a replacement for diesel fuel in the engines of nearly all tactical ground vehicles and electrical generators, and as a coolant in engines and some other aircraft components. The use of a single fuel greatly simplifies logistics.

Taken from Wikipedia and own experience in the military.

The stove we get as section are Coleman 2 burner that runs on naphta. I know both dragonfly & omnifuel work on naphta but I'd rather have a stove that run JP8 also just in case.

#255528 - 01/15/13 05:31 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
.....I'd rather have a stove that run JP8 also just in case.

Your section commander may get upset if he catches you siphoning fuel from the LAV to run a personal heater. wink

#255529 - 01/15/13 05:42 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
peobey,

Try the blog of our resident stove expert, HikinJim - adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com

His information is some of the best I have seen. He suggests that there are advantages and disadvantages to each. The biggest question many have about the MSR is the effect of cold on the plastic pumps. Although I have no direct experience with either, I have used an MSR XGK which has a similar (but not identical) pump. It has worked well to at least -40 (same temp on both scales). The older XGK will work on most anything (and I have tried quite a few including several jet fuels) it is quite simple and that helps. It does not simmer well however.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#255542 - 01/15/13 08:34 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I've ran my omnifuel on naptha, gasoline and kerosene and all ran well if the correct jet is used. No experience with JP8 however since I don't have access to that stuff. The heavier fuel are going to be harder to preheat in cold weather, and there's always the concern of additives in fuel producing toxic fume.

#255550 - 01/15/13 10:59 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: Stephen]
peobey Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Stephen
.....I'd rather have a stove that run JP8 also just in case.

Your section commander may get upset if he catches you siphoning fuel from the LAV to run a personal heater. wink

I'll buy him off with a nice hot REAL coffee made with the help of my stove wink

#255551 - 01/15/13 11:57 PM Re: Omnifuel vs Dragonfly [Re: peobey]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Since your Coleman 2 burner stove runs on naphta (aka white gas), the Dragonfly would be a back-up to that stove using a more common (for you) and less volatile fuel. This seems like a prudent back-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.