Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255535 - 01/15/13 07:01 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Arney
[quote=IzzyJG99]

I'm curious, is anyone aware of other cultures where nose blowing is also discouraged?

Anyone under the age of 10? crazy

#255540 - 01/15/13 07:42 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Much like Pig Pen from The Peanuts.

Very underappreciated character, Pig Pen. They need to do a Peanuts reunion, a sort of "Where are they now?" thing. smile

#255558 - 01/16/13 04:14 AM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Blowing one's nose doesn't seem so terrible to me, but custom varies from land to land, I suppose. In Germany, apparently it's not so polite to snort (you know, instead of blowing things out, "sucking things in").

I do wish the numerous Youtube video makers would clear their sinuses & throats before hitting REC. We really don't need the extra noises during the taping.

The Afrin addition is fascinating.

#255579 - 01/17/13 07:33 AM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Flu Type A sends me to the hospital shots every year, I'm fine so far.
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#255586 - 01/17/13 05:00 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Darn it, I seem to have picked up a bug yesterday. Just a stuffy nose, though. Yesterday, I thought it was just due to the very dry air. The weather here in Northern Cal became cold recently so we've suddenly been cranking up the heat lately and the air is very dry. But I overslept this morning because I was still sleepy. I never oversleep, so then it dawned on me that I caught something and that my body is tired from fighting some bug.

Oh well, could be worse. If it were the flu, it likely would've become something more obvious very quickly yesterday. Lot of people getting totally laid low this season.

I've been looking at Google Flu Trends lately. It's interesting to compare our area to other parts of the country. Back east or down south, looks like the indicators are starting to peak in many areas. Out here, though, the graphs are still shooting almost straight up with no sign of letting up, so looks like we haven't seen the worst of it yet out west.

#255596 - 01/17/13 08:54 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
I've been looking at Google Flu Trends lately. It's interesting to compare our area to other parts of the country. Back east or down south, looks like the indicators are starting to peak in many areas. Out here, though, the graphs are still shooting almost straight up with no sign of letting up, so looks like we haven't seen the worst of it yet out west.

OH YUCK!!! I just got a look at the flu trend for my city. It's already worse then the 2009/2010 season and still spiking. I'm glad my wife bugged me about getting the vaccine this year. Hopefully it'll keep me from getting sick from the flu. Too bad it doesn't work for food poisoning sick

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#255598 - 01/17/13 09:29 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
DW shared it. I am currently a snot factory, with minor coughing. Luckily, I make my own work hours, and when I do work, it's short.

For the record, she can't get the flu shot (egg allergies trigger migraines) and I usually don't, as I get sick anyhow.

I am blowing my nose - in private - and not using afrin as I am afraid of becoming addicted and reduced to panhandling in the streets to support myself and my monkey (8P).

#255607 - 01/18/13 12:17 AM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: Arney]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
In the past 15 years, the only two times I got the flu were the two times I got the flu shot. So, I won't be getting that again. I'll just be careful and cross my fingers.

#255611 - 01/18/13 02:52 AM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Here's something interesting. My Mother was still fighting off the flu. Then yesterday she laid down to go to sleep for a nap at 3PM (She does that.) And next thing she knew? It was 9AM the next day. And she now feels fine. Weird...

So if I catch it I am going to do this.

Have a few drinks. Get into bed. Fall asleep. Hope I wake up disease free.

Well, it's a theory...

For me, I could imagine that happening if I've already started the downhill out of the sickness. That kind of recovery is not going to happen for me if I just caught the bug.

#255618 - 01/18/13 03:52 PM Re: Did the flu get you? [Re: JBMat]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: JBMat

I am blowing my nose - in private - and not using afrin as I am afraid of becoming addicted and reduced to panhandling in the streets to support myself and my monkey (8P).

Was working in the ICU taking care of an old urologist with sinus issues and cardiac dysrhthmias. He would periodically go into short runs of v-tach, asymptomatic and self-limiting. Eventually discovered that he had smuggled his afrin into the unit and was dosing himself surreptitiously, and triggering the v-tach-I think he liked the palpitations.

Dangerous stuff.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.