Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255485 - 01/14/13 09:57 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: sotto]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: sotto
BTW, the nail I used for the original spike was a very long galvanized nail used for fastening rain gutters on the eaves of a house. That's the longest "nail" I have ever run across and hopefully can locate a couple more of those.

I used a nail "spike" that was about 10in x 3/8in diameter. I see these are available at Lowes. I didn't use the entire length, just drilled a hole and pounded it in, then cut off the excess.

#255492 - 01/15/13 01:16 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Roarmeister]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
...I am thinking of things like bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, elk, and yes even deer. .... Effective? Well, ask me after I have an encounter! smile

Every time in tune in to the news these days I hear of another fatal deer attack. Suckers are crazy laugh

I've never heard of wolves,yotes, Elk or deer actually hurting anyone in all my travels. I don't think I ever will either. The odd Cougar maybe(small children)and even then very,very rare. If you are concerned about these animals on the trail(which you shouldn't be) then you are right, You may as well use a fly swatter.

For bears use bear spray. It goes back to the whole "right tool for the job" thing. I wouldn't consider using a hammer to saw wood anymore than I would seriously consider a walking stick suitable for defense against a bear. Have you ever seen how fast these things can move? In the time it took me to type this sentence that bear would already be halfway done eating you and your flimsey walking stick. Use the walking stick for walking instead.

There is only one thing in Canada that freaks me out in the wild, and that's accidently stumbling into a bee's nest and getting swarmed. That threat is actually real. I do worry while bowhunting that I may cross a mother bear and her cubs but I know that if I do there isn't a walking stick I can buy or make that will make a world of difference at that point....YMMV

Quote:
...My favorite is if someone grabs you by the lapels, swing the stick over their arms, hold both ends and push it up their arms into the throat. With practice you can do that very fast. Probably break the stick, but ...

If anyone was dumb enough to simply walk up to a dude holding a stick and grab him by the lapels he would deserve a thrashing. Seriously, who does that?

#255496 - 01/15/13 03:11 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Stephen]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: Stephen

If anyone was dumb enough to simply walk up to a dude holding a stick and grab him by the lapels he would deserve a thrashing. Seriously, who does that?

You are obviously not an old person with a cane. The cane is viewed as a sign of weakness, not a weapon. A cop friend of mine said the lapel grab is a common "tough guy" move. That's where I learned the technique.

#255498 - 01/15/13 03:23 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Nomad]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: Nomad

You are obviously not an old person with a cane. The cane is viewed as a sign of weakness, not a weapon. A cop friend of mine said the lapel grab is a common "tough guy" move. That's where I learned the technique.

If you say so. I am not dumb enough to grab a guy by his lapels if he has a cane in his hands. Especially a cranky old guy..... eek Seems like the smarter thing to do would be to try and grab the cane. But...that's neither here nor there as they say.

#255503 - 01/15/13 04:41 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Stephen]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
...I am thinking of things like bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, elk, and yes even deer. .... Effective? Well, ask me after I have an encounter! smile

Every time in tune in to the news these days I hear of another fatal deer attack. Suckers are crazy laugh

I've never heard of wolves,yotes, Elk or deer actually hurting anyone in all my travels. I don't think I ever will either. The odd Cougar maybe(small children)and even then very,very rare. If you are concerned about these animals on the trail(which you shouldn't be) then you are right, You may as well use a fly swatter.

Are you actually serious??? Rare yes but attacks definitely occur. But my point in the context was that I would sooner be wary of an animal attack than a human attack on the trail which is far rarer. And I never ever even intimated that a hiking stick is an effective defense, I just said it was better than absolutely nothing as a last resort by poking or jabbing to provide distance between me and the animal.

There are a number of cited wolf kills in Canada but only one documented, 2005 north Sask - a pack killed a student away from the village of Points North; 2009 Nova Scotia, a interbred wolf/coyote pack killed a young gal out for a hike; 2000, my brother escaped a wolf pack while making his way back to his truck after a deer hunt.... the closest I've been to a lone wolf was about 25 feet away from my shelter (Vancouver Island).
Elk are the most dangerous animal during rut, if you think not, talk a walk in the woods in late September/October in Jasper Nat Park. Yearly incidents, sometimes on the golf course!
I had a cousin mauled by a sow grizzly a number of years ago and if weren't for passing motorists she would not have survived (North Vancouver).
A few years ago in Cypress Hills, I walked along a trail and remarked to myself "what a perfect habitat for cougar" not knowing that only a couple weeks before a cougar was shot on that very spot after scaring other hikers.
I was stalked by a female elk in Kananskis and it came within 15 feet of me before I gained the high ground and "menaced" (I didn't have a hiking staff at the time), this was on the same area where there were 4 grizzlies were known to habituate. I luckily missed a multiple grizzly attack just outside Yellowstone by only a couple of weeks at Soda Butte campground that I stayed at in 2010.
Came within 100 ft of a huge male elk just before rut season, my golfing partners were scared s***less.
I came face to face with a coyote protecting its fresh kill a couple of years ago in a surprise encounter (Grasslands Nat Park). It was seriously debating whether to defend it for flight. Thankfully he chose flight even though it had the high ground. And I know better than to get close to the free range bison in the park.
Deer, I haven't had an encounter but here is a provoked attack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U smile

Like I said, RARE but not unlikely for anyone spending time in the backcountry. If you have never heard of wolves, coyotes, elk or deer actually hurting anyone in all my travels, well then I must say [edited for content]. Get out more. Bear attacks are actually more rare than attacks from these animals.

You are right about bees, spiders and other insects, though. Statistically, they are the most likely cause of injuries or even death especially if you sensitive to the venom.

#255504 - 01/15/13 06:14 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Roarmeister]
Stephen Offline

Quote:
Are you actually serious???

Absolutely.

Quote:
Rare yes but attacks definitely occur.

People get hit by lightning while in the woods too, but I am not going to start hiking with a walking stick covered in mirrors just in case a lightning storm pops up.

Quote:
But my point in the context...

And mine was that if you intend on gettin a walking stick, get one for walking and use something else to protect you from wildlife, I.E Bears (like bear spray) which is designed just for that reason. The question posed was if a collapsible walking stick was good enough for defence, My arguement is that against wild animals, no it isn't.

Quote:
...better than absolutely nothing as a last resort by poking or jabbing to provide distance between me and the animal.

If that animal is a bear, then no...It isnt.

Quote:
There are a number of cited wolf kills in Canada but only one documented,....

That is why I said this...

Quote:
If you are concerned about these animals on the trail(which you shouldn't be)....

Quote:
my brother escaped a wolf pack while making his way back to his truck after a deer hunt.... the closest I've been to a lone wolf was about 25 feet away from my shelter (Vancouver Island).
Elk are the most dangerous animal during rut, if you think not, talk a walk in the woods in late September/October in Jasper Nat Park. Yearly incidents, sometimes on the golf course!
I had a cousin mauled by a sow grizzly a number of years ago and if weren't for passing motorists she would not have survived (North Vancouver).A few years ago in Cypress Hills, I walked along a trail and remarked to myself "what a perfect habitat for cougar" not knowing that only a couple weeks before a cougar was shot on that very spot after scaring other hikers.
I was stalked by a female elk in Kananskis and it came within 15 feet of me before I gained the high ground and "menaced" (I didn't have a hiking staff at the time), this was on the same area where there were 4 grizzlies were known to habituate. I luckily missed a multiple grizzly attack just outside Yellowstone by only a couple of weeks at Soda Butte campground that I stayed at in 2010.
Came within 100 ft of a huge male elk just before rut season, my golfing partners were scared s***less.
I came face to face with a coyote protecting its fresh kill a couple of years ago in a surprise encounter (Grasslands Nat Park). It was seriously debating whether to defend it for flight. Thankfully he chose flight even though it had the high ground. And I know better than to get close to the free range bison in the park.
Deer, I haven't had an encounter but here is a provoked attack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U

You realize, that out all this, you only mention one person getting hurt.(from a bear) That's why I said this..

Quote:
I've never heard of wolves,yotes, Elk or deer actually hurting anyone in all my travels.

Notice I didn't mention the word bear here once ? I KNOW bears will mess you up in quick form if you **** them off. That is why the thought of someone using a walking stick to defend against one was so unrealistic. I believe I was fairly clear in my post that bears are mean SOBs. The rest is just you mentioning about how you or someone else was afraid of something, not that anyone was hurt.

I can't believe you actually used that deer vid as an example....Wow dude. crazy

Quote:
Like I said, RARE but not unlikely for anyone spending time in the backcountry. If you have never heard of wolves, coyotes, elk or deer actually hurting anyone in all my travels, well then I must say [edited for content]. Get out more. Bear attacks are actually more rare than attacks from these animals.

Gee. I guess you got me there.

Quote:

I'll Tell you my secret to avoid being scared s***less of Elk. Buy an expensive bow, then buy an Elk tag. I bet my last dollar you won't run across any in the woods till the seasons over. wink

#255515 - 01/15/13 01:09 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Stephen]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I'll Tell you my secret to avoid being scared s***less of Elk. Buy an expensive bow, then buy an Elk tag. I bet my last dollar you won't run across any in the woods till the seasons over. wink
-------------------
Cost is relative,they arent that expensive for some quality bows,few hundred bucks can get some awesome bows.Boy would I love an Elk,thats a lot of meat!

As for defense ,a stick beats having nothing IMO.

#255543 - 01/15/13 09:02 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
sotto Offline
Addict

Everyone needs a walking stick for different reasons. I need one for picking up trash with really big teeth. ;-)

#255545 - 01/15/13 09:24 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: spuds]
Stephen Offline

Everything is relative.....

Cost.....

Experience.....

Perception ....(like the threats we perceive when out in the woods)

You are correct, an Elk isn't only a lot of meat, but a lot of TASTY meat. I did not get an Elk this year.

#255623 - 01/18/13 06:04 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't think a folding one would work - but its mostly for show.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.