The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255170 - 01/05/13 08:58 PM Re: lighter safety [Re: ScouterMan]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Big fan of Bics,and that metal thing over flint wheel allows you to use it with wet hands.

#255200 - 01/07/13 12:53 AM Re: lighter safety [Re: Russ]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
It takes up a lot of room in the tin, but then again, fire can be a valuable commodity.

If you consider a Bic includes tinder, it's not much room at all. A size comparison to a tiny ferro rod by itself is not an accurate comparison because the ferro rod still needs a scraper and tinder to get a flame going. Once you add the extra stuff, you're well over the size of a mini Bic. A size comparison to matches is fair, but one match is good for one flame, while a mini Bic is good for 100+ flames. A mini Bic is about the volume of 10 good matches.

#255201 - 01/07/13 01:49 AM Re: lighter safety [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ
then again, fire can be a valuable commodity.
Classic understatement! In many situations, fire is literally the difference between life and death.

#255230 - 01/08/13 03:47 PM Re: lighter safety [Re: ireckon]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: ireckon
<snip>If you consider a Bic includes tinder, it's not much room at all.<snip>

Are you saying the ability to produce a flame for several seconds without burning your hand negates the need for tinder? I guess in some situations that would be true.

#255235 - 01/08/13 06:13 PM Re: lighter safety [Re: celler]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: celler

Are you saying the ability to produce a flame for several seconds without burning your hand negates the need for tinder? I guess in some situations that would be true.

The Bic usually can ignite fuel at the kindling level. So tinder is not really needed. It still is adviseable to use tinder as the supply in the Bic is limited.

#255272 - 01/09/13 05:54 PM Re: lighter safety [Re: medanum6298]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Bumped, tossed, smacked around in pockets and otherwise. Never had one leak or explode. Unless you dunk it and the components rust they are worry free. I found a BIC on the ground while snowshoeing last week which had been there a long time. After thawing it out it actually still worked. I was a little shocked.

#255350 - 01/11/13 03:47 AM Re: lighter safety [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Recently Zippo has purchased Ronson lighter company and still let them manufacture and sell their own Products. In my Survival kit I have a ronson Jetlite from before they were puchased.

Comparing it to the post zippo product the newer version seems more sturdy and well made for the same price.

Imma replace all my jetlites with the newer version. Comparison pictures to come.

A question is which to put in my newer kit? jetlite or Minibic? They both have their pros and cons.

#255352 - 01/11/13 04:19 AM Re: lighter safety [Re: ScouterMan]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The Grey is the new the Dark Silver is the old.

The new one has a better screw design being in the center and the shell seems to be made of a better material with a much better tho different coating. Very similar but the new grey has better feeling/looking materials including the white plastic. it also has what looks to be less cheapo disposable parts such as the small piece of foam under the fuel hinge using a metal spring instead.

#255356 - 01/11/13 07:19 AM Re: lighter safety [Re: celler]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: celler

I'm saying compare apples to apples. A while ago, I would compare the size of a Bic directly to the size of a ferro rod, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. Tinder is the the critical material that readily ignites from a spark to make a flame. The Bic already has tinder in there (fuel) to make a flame. In contrast, with a ferro rod, you need to add a scraper and tinder (e.g., cotton). So, the overall size of that package is bigger, and if your plan is to make 20 fires or so, then that ferro rod package is that much bigger.

Now, I still carry extra tinder with a Bic so I don't quickly burn up the fuel, but in a worst case scenario there is a reliable shot at starting a full fledged fire without the extra tinder.

#255363 - 01/11/13 05:14 PM Re: lighter safety [Re: Frisket]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Recently Zippo has purchased Ronson lighter company and still let them manufacture and sell their own Products. In my Survival kit I have a ronson Jetlite from before they were puchased.

Comparing it to the post zippo product the newer version seems more sturdy and well made for the same price.

Great info Frisket, thank you. Does this Jet Lite on Amazon look like it's the new one?

Also, how tough is it to dry out a piezo lighter that got wet? I know with the old-school Bics they wouldn't light if wet but they dried pretty easily then worked fine. Will the piezos recover like this as well after getting dunked?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.