The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255328 - 01/10/13 08:25 PM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: haertig]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig
Walk around every room of your house with your digital camera, taking pictures from every angle of each room, showing all contents. Including opening closets and photographing contents. Including opening desk/bureau/etc drawers and photographing contents. You don't need world class beautiful photos. These are simply for your use in filing possible future insurance claims. To make you "remember what you used to have there". If you have high dollar items, take specific pictures of each one, showing serial numbers and other identifying characteristics, maybe pictures of the item beside it's original purchase receipt (if available, and you can make the receipt legible in the photo), etc. Burn those pictures to multiple CD's and store each CD in a different off-premisis site (maybe mail one to a relative, put one in a safe deposit box, etc.)

Check with your insurance company to ensure they will accept this. Allstate and Nationwide would not (maybe they do now?) and would only accept orignal invoices or receipts as proof of ownership.

#255331 - 01/10/13 08:44 PM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Check with your insurance company to ensure they will accept this. Allstate and Nationwide would not (maybe they do now?) and would only accept orignal invoices or receipts as proof of ownership.

Personally, I would not do business with any insurance company that required you to keep original receipts, or "prove ownership" in some way to file a claim. Mine certainly doesn't. If Allstate and Nationwide pull those kind of stunts they have moved themselves to the bottom of the barrel of insurers.

#255334 - 01/10/13 08:54 PM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: haertig]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
This holds true of most doccuments where I hail. Marrage cert, birth cert, etc.

If you do not have originals be prepared to pay the department of vital statistics for replacements.

I have a fire/water resistant safe for said doccuments. That however, is not a "low or no cost prep" Those things tend to be rather pricey.

Edited by Stephen (01/10/13 09:01 PM)
Edit Reason: mixing french and english.

#255336 - 01/10/13 10:54 PM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Insurance companies differ.

Jewelry is paid up to a certain amount on your homeowners, usually a pretty low amount. Get riders for expensive items.

Have serial numbers for high dollar items. It's amazing what can be gleaned from a serial number/model number on a TV. The 90 inch tv the insured said he bought last week had the serial number of a 19 inch portable last made in 1982. Of course, scanning the original receipts is good.

Videos and pictures can be faked. Or you could have rented the stuff from someplace, did the pics and returned the stuff. Vids and pics from successive years will more or less prove you owned the stuff. Have a newspaper with the date in the photo/video for reference.

Load all your important data on a flash drive, and keep it someplace not in your house. A safe deposit box, at work in the back of a drawer, at a family member's house - just not a home.

Stuff I learned as a legal NCO working claims against the government.

#255337 - 01/11/13 12:14 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That is one of the reasons I left both companies.
Funny thing is with my little thermal printer I could fake receipt easier than a picture.

#255339 - 01/11/13 12:31 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: haertig]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: haertig
Walk around every room of your house with your digital camera, taking pictures from every angle of each room, showing all contents. Including opening closets and photographing contents. Including opening desk/bureau/etc drawers and photographing contents. You don't need world class beautiful photos. These are simply for your use in filing possible future insurance claims. To make you "remember what you used to have there". If you have high dollar items, take specific pictures of each one, showing serial numbers and other identifying characteristics, maybe pictures of the item beside it's original purchase receipt (if available, and you can make the receipt legible in the photo), etc. Burn those pictures to multiple CD's and store each CD in a different off-premisis site (maybe mail one to a relative, put one in a safe deposit box, etc.)
Some might disagree but storing those pics/video on photobucket is certainly an option.

As for not accepting pictures,Farmers required me to send pics of a classic vehicle for my stated value policy,FWIW.

#255344 - 01/11/13 01:24 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: Stephen]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Go for a run

That hurts because it makes so much sense. I need to get in much better CV condition.

#255345 - 01/11/13 02:02 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Fill up your gas tank more often (keep your tank above half-full).

Let someone know where you're going and when you expect to get there.

Inventory your change jar, exchange it for $1 bills, and conceal that in your car.

More low or no-cost prep items for the car: water bottles, matches

Most of the preps I have in my car are old camping and hiking gear. Camping has come in very handy for prepping.

#255347 - 01/11/13 02:56 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: MoBOB]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Go for a run

That hurts because it makes so much sense. I need to get in much better CV condition.

One of the least expensive preps you can make. (assuming you own running shoes) It's funny how so few consider physical fitness as part of a prepared lifestyle.

The saying "survival of the FITTEST" came about for a reason.

#255349 - 01/11/13 03:40 AM Re: Low and no cost preps [Re: spuds]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: spuds
Have a hidden house key outside,I got locked out in the snow in my PJ's,NOT a good thing!

I have been locked out of the house multiple times after a lock change that reversed how the knob worked. So we finally got a spare key and did what anyone would do test it first before hiding it.

Come next time i got locked out to my surprise the spare key did not work.....No Idea why no idea how but now I cant rely on a spare key incase of being locked out. A small locked out prep kit is what I came up with and if you can afford it throw a pay as you go phone cheap as you can find in there.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.