Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#255001 - 12/30/12 03:18 PM TOAKS - quick review
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Here's a quick review of the TOAKS Ti pot/mug. I posted the same on Amazon and elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-POT-750-Titanium-750ml-Pot/dp/B009B98FGW

I'm quite sure TOAKS doesn't manufacture these items. LightHound carried these slick Ti bits for a while. Then BackCountry.com carried it as a 700ml pot branded with their logo for many years. Now TOAKS says it is a 750ml pot even though it's the same size. (See pic.)

TOAKS (or their manufacturer) has made their Ti 750ml pot better than previous distributors. This mug/pot was always great for nesting nicely my Nalgene bottle inside but the lid never fit quite right. This time lid is spot on! The overall quality control - subtle but distinct differences which are hard to put your finger on - seems much higher. (Notice the fit of the lid in the pic.)

The BackCountry.com version came with a longer orange carry case which had an internal pocket for a spork (BackCountry included a Ti spork) and would hold the pot/mug as well as the Nalgene(See pic). I really liked the idea of a self-contained food/water kit so for the TOAKS model I purchased the Condor H2O pouch from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068SYN5G) which nicely holds holds the TOAKS mug (lid on the bottom or top) along with the Vargo Ti Triad stove in the pocket thus carrying everything I need for a day hike with hot lunch/coffee.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied and would highly recommend it (although I wish they kept the long cover).

Edited by gulliamo (12/30/12 03:19 PM)

#255002 - 12/30/12 03:40 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Nice looking product. I'm glad they make the carry case long enough to work with the 1L Nalgene bottle (my standard personal water carrier) ... and a GREAT review. Thanks!

#255005 - 12/30/12 04:26 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: KenK]
gulliamo Offline

Just to be clear: the previously available BackCountry version came with the longer case. The TOAKS version has a higher pot quality but shorter case.

#255007 - 12/30/12 05:20 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Pots/cups of this size are quite versatile and useful, especially when they can be carried around a common object like a Nalgene bottle. This model looks very similar to the Snow peak 700 cup, also equipped with a lid, which can be packed in a similar fashion. Not only will it accommodate a Nalgene, it will also handle a Gatorade or Power-Ade quart bottle (both lighter and cheaper). I find that most (but not all) sacks devised to hold Nalgenes will also hold the additional bulk of a titanium pot,giving one a nice self contained unit.

If you want to save money, there are stainless steel cups, much cheaper and slightly heavier, that also nest around canteens.

#255198 - 01/06/13 09:12 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
gulliamo Offline

Here's an update on how I've integrated this into a larger kit.
http://adventurereports.blogspot.com/2013/01/condor-h2o-pouch.html

While this is only a "lunch in the woods" kit I can easily strap it onto a BOB or other pack to ensure I have a method of carrying water and cooking.

Thoughts?

#255297 - 01/09/13 11:05 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Good review. Merci beaucoup.

I have a snow peak (700 model ?) which is almost identical looking, with the exception being that it has a small half cup that slides over the bottom, and the case is a simple mesh bag. I like that cup feature. I don't like that the lid sits loose though. I wish it would clamp down a little. It just kind of "sits" on top of the pot.

The only problem with Ti is the ease in which it can be squished. If you toss your pack down and sit on it you must avoid sitting on the cook set or it will really flatten. Stainless, although much heavier is a lot more rigid.

#255305 - 01/10/13 04:50 AM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
gulliamo Offline

Do you find you use the half cup? I strongly considered that model but opted for the TOAKS (as you can see in my review here http://adventurereports.blogspot.com/2012/12/toaks-titanium-750ml-pot.html) thinking that I would use the collapsible cup instead.

What value does a lock-on lid provide? Could you lift the pot by the lid? Good warning on the Ti (especially when it's thin & light like this)!

#255309 - 01/10/13 12:42 PM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: gulliamo
Do you find you use the half cup?

All the time. I mix my coffee, oatmeal etc in the small cup thus keeping the large one clean. I didn't think I would bother with it either but it is real handy. Saves so much space the way it slips over the bottom of the larger pot as now I don't need to carry an additional mug anywhere else.

What value does a lock-on lid provide?

I tend to carry things in it when not it use. As soon as it tips everything spills out because the lid does not stay on. If it did, it would also be way harder to crush as the lid would be adding that extra support. Without the lid on I can squish the mouth of it together by hand its so flimsy. I have to be very careful where I pack it so no pressure gets placed on the mouth of the pot because of that. Small point I know, but a real pain all the same.
If the lid locked even a little, it could also be used as a way to carry water if you had to.

Good warning on the Ti (especially when it's thin & light like this)!

Learned this lesson the hard way. When I upgrade, I may get the exact model in stainless for this reason alone.

#255351 - 01/11/13 04:09 AM Re: TOAKS - quick review [Re: gulliamo]
gulliamo Offline

I guess I've never had crushing issues because my Nalgene rides in mine.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.