Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255708 - 01/21/13 08:09 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I found the perfect replacement. It is an aluminum travel case for a bar of soap. It is waterproof and is almost exactly the size of an altoids tin. It has a rubber edge seal and no hinges. I found it at a little store that sells gifts and such and they told me they got from China. I'll post more info if I find it but the key to solving this was bar soap travel cases. <smacks head> sometimes it's the simplest things we don't think about.

#255736 - 01/22/13 03:46 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
I found the perfect replacement. It is an aluminum travel case for a bar of soap. It is waterproof and is almost exactly the size of an altoids tin. It has a rubber edge seal and no hinges. I found it at a little store that sells gifts and such and they told me they got from China. I'll post more info if I find it but the key to solving this was bar soap travel cases. <smacks head> sometimes it's the simplest things we don't think about.

Great idea! (I smacked my forehead too.)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#256212 - 02/05/13 01:38 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I too recommend the Witz sportscases. As they have a number of different sizes from the pretty small to the quite large, they work well, are o-ring sealed waterproof, flip top lids secured by compression buckles, generally include both a lanyard and carabiner on smaller models, are available in colors, translucent and opaque and will stand up to way more abuse than an altoids tin. I won't say that they are as sturdy as an Otterbox, but many are much more manageable than an otterbox. Take a look http://www.witzsportcases.com/ Standard disclaimer.

#256272 - 02/06/13 02:34 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Nugget, I am here in Kentucky also, would appreciate knowing what store you got those at as those would be great for my scouts and their emergency kits, as long as you don't mind sharing your source that is.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (02/06/13 04:28 PM)
Edit Reason: corrected mispelling, sorry about that

#256336 - 02/08/13 08:44 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
I found the aluminum box at a store on Sanibel Island Florida and I don't know the name of the store - sorry I was just a drunk tourist smile If you search around the internet there are several plastic and metal soap boxes without hinges for sale. Amazon has several. Ebay has quite a few too. Aluminum boxes are harder to find but they are out there.

Check out this box from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Lifestyle-6-Pack-Assorted-Colors/dp/B004RHT512 This might be snug enough that would not have to add a gasket of silicone or a rubber o-ring. It may be waterproof enough just by the friction of the lid.

The key to all of this though is that a plastic or metal travel box for a bar of soap is the ticket. It is almost exactly the same size as an altoids tin.

For the poster who asked why not just put an o-ring on an Altoids tin - the problem with that is the hinge. An o-ring on the lid would not address water getting in at the hinge. The solution is to have a box with a lid that is not hinged.

#256345 - 02/09/13 04:51 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Every Witz case I've ever had...four of them...have failed me. I've been to all the water parks here in FL and in every instance every "waterproof" case I've used has failed. The Witz closure system is a joke, in my opinion, and open way too easily. Everything else is just too bulky. I'm at the point of considering these:
[img:center][/img]
All I need to do is use an internal gasket and it should be fine. Found this at my local WallyWorld in the nutrition section. It holds some kind of protein shot, but I got it just for the container. I carry my cell phone emergency charger,a AA battery, and the Bic in it. Plenty of room for more, but I got like 5 of these things for various purposes. My nephew got a bunch of acrylic tubes with caps similar to these at Ace hardware a couple years ago, if that helps.

#256346 - 02/09/13 05:00 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: barbakane]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
thanks for the info nugget

and here is another option I am currently considering

http://thekeytosurvival.com/bcbinternational/minimesskt.html

no affiliations

#256356 - 02/09/13 07:03 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have used a container very similar,or perhaps identical, to that one for several years. My model sports rubber gasket in the lid and is essentially waterproof. The only negative is that the roller clasps give it a somewhat ungainly profile, but that is relatively minor.

#256357 - 02/09/13 07:45 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
I'd think an aloksak would do exactly what you need, and it would conform to the Maxpedition pocket better too.

http://www.loksak.com/products/aloksak

This is the same as the person who recommended using a small ultralight first aid kit's container.

#256368 - 02/10/13 03:25 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I'm currently putting together a kit for a relative who is enlisting. I;ll be asking for advice on certain items. I remember seeing on one sitye that they had two piece tins with a gasket the exact size of an altoids tin. And a larger tin the size of the old jumbo altoids tin. Not sure where though. But it's my choice for this kit when I find it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 267 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.