Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255252 - 01/09/13 05:36 AM Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Hi All, I'm trying to make a waterproof fire making kit for a youth group. An Altoids tin is roughly 4"x2.5"x0.75" Does anyone know of a waterproof case or at least water resistant case that is approximately those outside dimensions?

Actually the pouch I'm trying to put this box into is the outside pocket on a Maxpedition 10x4 bottle holder. The pocket measures 6"x3"x1.5" so I could probably go as big as 5.5"x2.5"x1" in size for the waterproof box.

I've looked everywhere, Pelican, Otterbox, Witz, bestglide. I found a fly box for anglers that was close but it has dividers inside and wasn't really even water resistant. Everything is too big for the pouch.

Bepreparedtosurvive.com and bestglide.com both have survival tins with a rubber seal in the lid but the tins are just a hair too wide.

If I can't find anything I may have to resort to waterproofing the altoids tins somehow by myself but I need 18 of them for my group and I'd rather just find something I can order.

Any ideas? Thanks y'all

#255253 - 01/09/13 05:57 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
yee Offline

Funny you should post this. I was looking for something similar.

My problem with the Altoids tin is that I EDC it in my hip pocket. The aluminum is too flimsy and the tin is completely dented.

Yesterday, I bought an "Aluma Wallet" from Walmart. It is available online for about $5 each but I paid over twice that.

It is a flimy case with a lousy hinge. I replaced the hinge pins with longer pins (paper clip). The aluminum is thin but is backed with thick plastic. I cut out the centers of the plastic to allow the inside of the tin to be larger. The "rims" of the plastic were then epoxyed back onto the aluminum case.

The advertising is that the case is "water resistant" but I have my doubts. I will be testing the aluminum wallet to see how it handles my hip pocket.

Thanks.
Conway Yee

#255254 - 01/09/13 08:09 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Nothing with hard shell is going to be that small and waterproof, even pelican 1010 is bigger than that and the interior space is non-existent. Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.

#255255 - 01/09/13 08:34 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
How about a different approach? Instead of a waterproof tin ensure the contents are waterproof or can stand immersion. Stainless bits and pieces, tinder sealed in a bag or waxed (isn't waterproof tinder a good thing?) and so on. Not too difficult.

Drill holes in the tin so it may drain and ventilate easily so if it does get immersed, which is probably not too often, the contents will dry out quickly.

#255256 - 01/09/13 08:43 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Its the same as a altoids but apparently tougher.

http://countycomm.com/tin.html

#255258 - 01/09/13 09:48 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: jzmtl]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Nothing with hard shell is going to be that small and waterproof, even pelican 1010 is bigger than that and the interior space is non-existent. Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.

A plastic takeout container has a hard shell and a waterproof lid plus the bonus of clear plastic lids on most. They are called to go containers, microwaveable takeout containers, disposable containers, and deli containers. They are a little less sturdy than an Altoids tin but if they last one trip, that's enough because they only cost a few cents. I've searched through a lot of restaurant supply houses and they all have perfectly waterproof (water resistant) plastic takeout boxes but none that are the right size.

I did some calculations - An altoids tin is about 4 ounces in size and the Maxpedition pouch will hold up to about an 8 ounce container - if it's the right shape. So far I haven't been able to find any plastic takeout containers or disposable containers that are in the 4 to 8 ounce range and have acceptable dimensions.

Edited by NuggetHoarder (01/09/13 09:53 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#255259 - 01/09/13 12:49 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Frisket
Its the same as a altoids but apparently tougher.

http://countycomm.com/tin.html

Wrap it in silicone tape (like Rescue Tape) and I'd expect it to be reasonably waterproof.

#255261 - 01/09/13 01:19 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
if this is for emergency use only, use a vacuum food sealer to make a small pack, and add a small cut "v" in the corner so it can be opened easily

or if a round container will fit the pouch... something like a pill container and an "o" ring from the hardware store... fits a full size Bic, small ferro rod and scraper... petroleum cotton balls encased in a plastic straws...paraffin wax impregnated corrougated cardboard with strike anywhere matches to add burn time...

Edited by LesSnyder (01/09/13 01:22 PM)

#255262 - 01/09/13 01:22 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Wrap it in silicone tape (like Rescue Tape) and I'd expect it to be reasonably waterproof.

That's what I do with mine. If I'm more concerned, I throw the whole thing in a zip lock bag.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255268 - 01/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: jzmtl]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Best bet is altoid tin in a freezer bag.

I like this approach. As a bonus, the Ziplock containing the Altoids tin doubles as a handy water container (something usually to bulky to fit inside an Altoids tin kit). I think it's the medium freezer bags I've used in the past and they are reasonably durable and hold approximately 1 litre of water - the perfect amount for a water purification table.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.