Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255270 - 01/09/13 05:43 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I played with the idea a while ago for a kayak kit. Not sure what I was thinking when I look back,as common sense will(should)have told me otherwise, but to make a long story short you won't really be able to make an altiods tin "waterproof". water resistant sure, but either accept the fact that water will make its way in eventually depending on how bad the tin is exposed to water or drop it in a ziplock bag or something similar as others have mentioned. The fact these tins have holes where the hinges are will make it harder.

I have seen soap boxes that snap closed and fit the dimentions you are talking about(ish) They are really inexpensive and may offer a useful solution.

#255274 - 01/09/13 06:09 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
This Witz case seems to fit your criteria.

Small Sport Case

#255275 - 01/09/13 06:29 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I agree with using the Ziplock bags. The one-quart bags are a great size.

#255276 - 01/09/13 06:31 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Here is something much cheaper than the Witz container but it won't hold as much.

Clear Vinyl Badge Holder w Zipper

$0.44 each

#255282 - 01/09/13 08:17 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The tins have always been a bit small for my uses, as I like to include a small folder. Have your tried tupperware or rubbermaid products? ( see walmart or similar)

#255286 - 01/09/13 08:39 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
if this is for emergency use only, use a vacuum food sealer to make a small pack, and add a small cut "v" in the corner so it can be opened easily

I have lots of stuff vacuum packed,I didnt think of a V notch.I like how it squishes down to maximum small volume.

There are a few tricks for vacuum packing mylar bags on your food sealer.I'll do a thread.

#255288 - 01/09/13 09:22 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Got to ask, why do you want a tin box ? I doubt you will be cooking much in an altoid box.
You could perhaps make more char using the metal box.
For fire kit supplies why not use oval film cans ?
If I was looking for a metal box without a hinge I
would check out my local Spice Store or Cost
Plus for small metal boxes.
OR
Just do as advised and wrap the altoid Box with
rubber repair tape.

#255296 - 01/09/13 10:51 PM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

This is a tough requirement, as we've discussed before.

I gave up looking for the perfectly sized waterproof rigid PSK container. I decided to put the gear in a Seattle Sports Dry Doc pouch then put that pouch inside a lightweight nylon zip pouch.

The Dry Doc pouch is very robust and is made from a clear material that is much thicker and more flexible than typical vinyl. The zipper is extremely robust, far more than any freezer bag or poly bag. Still, I know that with time it will develop pinholes if unprotected. So that's why I put it in a sil-nylon zip pouch.

This gives me a reasonably light, very well protected setup. The sil-nylon pouch has 2 sewn paracord loops to connect a dummy cord. And I realized it had another benefit: items that are not dependent on being waterproof can ride in the nylon pouch but outside the Dry Doc pouch, freeing up waterproof real estate.

#255299 - 01/10/13 01:14 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You can find candy tins that are the same diameter of the Nalgene, and an inch tall, in lot of the Big Lots, Christmas Tree Shops, and dollar stores around here. Put your kit in that, put a few wraps of electricians tape around it (say... ten wraps of bright red tape), then wrap it in a bandana so it doesn't clank. Put that under the bottle. Keep stuff like the knife, ferro rod, and the like in the pocket.

You have to replace the tape every six months or so, but electricians tape is cheap.

I will say that while the metal isn't as heavy as what is in the Altoids tin, I find they are just as tough when the force is coming from above and below.

I'm thinking particularly of these, but this price is higher than what I pay:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Thames-Mixed-Fruit-Drops/dp/B002UTU64O

If you wanted to be really sure of rust resistance, sand it, tape the side partway so you can close it, spray paint it something like nuclear green or hunter orange, put down a layer of clear coat, and you're good.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#255306 - 01/10/13 05:22 AM Re: Waterproof Altoids Tin Replacement [Re: NuggetHoarder]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think this little Systema food storage container would fit very well. They're completely waterproof, very sturdy and pretty cheap...like $2.50 or so. I get 'em at World Market but Wal-Mart has them as well.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.