The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255203 - 01/07/13 04:39 AM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

How about replacing water with milk ?
And how about throwing in an egg or two ?

I love my food richer in protein.

#255209 - 01/07/13 02:13 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I thought about doing that, but it would result in my traditional Sunday morning pancake routine. Toss in some chopped walnuts as . I guess the bottom line is that if you have baking powder, flour, and a little salt, the sky is the limit.

This is making me hungry - time to whip up some pancakes.....

#255212 - 01/07/13 04:14 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I decided to try out making bannock recently and used this recipe: Bannock II. The only difference was I used a multigrain flour instead of regular white flour (a change for the better, I think).

After trying the recipe out at home, I made up some 2 serving ziplock baggies with everything but the water and took them with me on an overnighter I went on a couple days ago. It took a little trial and error (at first I tried cooking too much at once) but cooking it over the fire on a stick worked great. Definitely a great camp food.

#255213 - 01/07/13 08:19 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: bacpacjac]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
How does this compare to hardtack?

Looks better??

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#255214 - 01/08/13 12:39 AM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Made some yesterday, following the Bannock II recipe. I would call it "softtack." Eaten hot, it was hearty and delicious. I garnished mine with some applesauce.

I have always made pancakes on backpack trips when I had time for a leisurely breakfast. Hardtack looks like it could be made without specialized equipment (frying pan).

#255221 - 01/08/13 06:59 AM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

I've never had any exposure to hardtack, but after reading about it, I'm thinking the big difference between bannock and hardtack is that bannock isn't intended to be made & then transported and/or stored.

Normally with bannock you'd bring the dry ingredients with you and then add water & cook it in the field (either in a fry pan or around a stick over the fire). When cooked, the bannock has a golden brown outer crust but is still soft inside, sort of like a biscuit.

#255223 - 01/08/13 12:29 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

Looks better??

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the difference is basically that bannock is closer to bread and hardtack more like a cracker, accounted for by the addition, or not, of baking soda. (Although, there are many bannock recipes without it.) Then again, someone else told me that it all comes down to whether you bake (hardtack) or fry (bannock.)

Salt is another key ingredient, it would seem. Bannock (often) has salt, which makes it more perishable. Hardtack doesn't, whioh lends itself to better storage and transit.

My Scotish ancestors my curse me for this but, in my experience, bannock, hardtack, fry bread, quick bread, ring bread, stick bread.... are all pretty similar, and their differences seem to come down to the recipe and cooking methods used.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255224 - 01/08/13 12:34 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis

After trying the recipe out at home, I made up some 2 serving ziplock baggies with everything but the water and took them with me on an overnighter I went on a couple days ago. It took a little trial and error (at first I tried cooking too much at once) but cooking it over the fire on a stick worked great. Definitely a great camp food.

Way to go, Dennis. As Hikermor mentioned, cooking it over a campfire makes it taste the best, but home is the best place to try out new recipes. When you find one you like, do like Dennis, and make up a baggie or two of the dry mix and take it on your next trip.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255228 - 01/08/13 02:30 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: bacpacjac]
K9medic Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
[/quote]
My Scotish ancestors my curse me for this but, in my experience, bannock, hardtack, fry bread, quick bread, ring bread, stick bread.... are all pretty similar, and their differences seem to come down to the recipe and cooking methods used. [/quote]

Consider yourself cursed laugh

One of the problems I have on American based forums is the strange names you have for food and the confusing combinations, can someone please explain why you would cover a biscuit in gravy ??????

Around here

Bannocks are usually made from Oatmeal, a pinch of salt, egg and milk or water whisked till it’s similar to a pancake mixture, then fried.

Pan bread is flour (sometimes with oats) pinch of salt, baking soda and a little water to make a dough then cooked in a dry pan.

#255234 - 01/08/13 05:35 PM Re: Bannock Recipes [Re: K9medic]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
[quote=K9mediccan someone please explain why you would cover a biscuit in gravy ??????

[/quote]

Because it tastes GREAT?? The best reason I know.

The best,

Jerry

p.s. Remember this is gravy, not juices.

Edited by JerryFountain (01/08/13 05:36 PM)
Edit Reason: add p.s.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.