Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#253856 - 11/26/12 05:53 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: LesSnyder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
LesSnyder - Excellent choice of holster in that pic. Andrews Leather. Highly recommended. I have been using the exact same holster for years and love it!

#253858 - 11/26/12 06:45 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: yeti]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: yeti
I was given one of these years ago. I've even used it in hill country during the winter. I would not say it is the best whistle I own, but it did the job when needed twice. I happened to have it readily available at each of those instances. So, I'd agree it isn't the best, but what other $3 whistle would you say was better?

BTW, the reason I had it available was that it was the backup whistle, on my belt as it fits in a swiss army knife sheath WITH the swiss army knife and I left my bigger kits out of reach. This whistle does have *some* application given that I can stick it almost anywhere with a little give. Again, I wouldn't put it up against the decibel levels of a larger-sized whistle. If that's my main criterion, then I go for the storm whistle (http://www.stormwhistles.com/).

Every whistle I have is better, even ones I bought for a buck. I may have a defective one or something. I can't understand how anybody would think this tubular aluminum whistle is loud.

I consider all whistles under $8 to be in the same price range. I base my decision on size, pitch, ease of blowing, etc. When size is no consideration, then it's all about the "loudest," which is fuzzy science. My Storm and my Fox 40 Sonik Blast are probably my loudest whistles. The Fox 40 Sonik Blast hurts my ears the most. However, reports have indicated the Storm carries farther than the Fox 40 Classic (which I don't own) because of the Storm's lower pitch. I also own the Fox 40 Sharx (also very loud) and several generic whistles that give the big names a run for their money.

I just bought some small whistles that are supposed to be loud:
Victorinox Distress ($1 + shipping on eBay)
JetScream ($5 or so on eBay)
ACME Tornado 636 Slimline ($5 or so on eBay)

I'll try to remember to come back here and critique. If I forget, send me a message.

#253863 - 11/26/12 07:44 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Fox 40 Sharx is not only loud, but it isn't as big/bulky as the Storm. IMO it's a very efficient design.

#254100 - 11/30/12 11:42 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: ireckon]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I just bought some small whistles that are supposed to be loud:
Victorinox Distress ($1 + shipping on eBay)
JetScream ($5 or so on eBay)
ACME Tornado 636 Slimline ($5 or so on eBay)

Of these three small whistles I bought, I highly recommend the ACME Slimline. The pitch is a bit lower than than Fox 40 Sonik Blast, and the volume is almost as loud. It hurts my ears regardless. The ACME Slimline is the smallest of those three listed, and is considerably slimmer than the Fox 40 Sonik Blast. Pocket carrying the Fox 40 Sonik Blast annoys me in some pants, where the ACME Slimine doesn't bother me.

The JetScream is just OK. I have other whistles that are better in every way. This whistle won't get any keychain time.

The Victorinox Distress (aka, TOPS) is a learning experience. I learned it doesn't matter to me that it's so slim. It's not loud at all. Some people consider it loud. My eardrums must be built differently.

#254913 - 12/27/12 01:37 PM Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? [Re: tomfaranda]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
The fenix EO1 can be gotten on amazon for $12.90. One light level of ten lumens, very compact, one AAA battery. Perfect for keychain. I love them, and frequently give them as gifts.

I got this,everything everyone says about quality,thanks for the advice on Fenix

LED provides 27 Lumens (ANSI Certified) of light from amazing 2.5 inch body
Light provides wide beam of light that will reach over 78 ft
Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard, 2 meters for 30 minutes
Body Size: 6.5" (Length) x 1" (Diameter); 3 ounces; Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard