Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#254864 - 12/24/12 08:19 AM collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence?
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
For some reason the previous thread on this topic has no blank box to post in. If it was locked and I missed it; sorry moderator and delete away! :-)
I read the entire thread but didn't find anyone mention a collapsible or folding stick strong enough to hit something with. Is there such a thing?
And a happy Christmas to everyone. Lets hope this year the recession ends and we can actually buy the gear we discuss here! :-)
qjs

#254865 - 12/24/12 12:50 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Whenever I think of walking sticks as weapons, I recall the classic Robin Hood/Little John encounter on the bridge - your home turf, QJS...

I get a lot of use out of my collapsible pair of Lekis, which I have had for many years. They have been everything from tent poles to photo scales and measuring rods. "Defensively," I have used them to encourage snakes to leave the path.

In a brawl, they would be better than nothing, but would soon be reduced to scrap, I suspect. While I really like and use my Leki sticks, the best all round bargain is a slightly modified shovel handle from the local hardware store- fully functional and very cheap, and of much more use in the RH/LJ ssituation.

I really cherish a hiking staff as I age - they definitely help you get over the hill. Someday I will be in the market for a tactical walker. What features would that have?

#254875 - 12/25/12 02:58 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I doubt that there is a collapsible walking stick that would survive a full force blow at half its length. At least I have not found one. And I have been looking for years. To be at all effective it has to have some weight as well as strength.

I have not found a hollow rod of a size and weight that would meet walking stick criteria that would take such a punishment.

That said, there are several things you can do with a typical walking stick that would help if you were in a bad situation.

My favorite is if someone grabs you by the lapels, swing the stick over their arms, hold both ends and push it up their arms into the throat. With practice you can do that very fast. Probably break the stick, but ...

A two handed thrust with the point into some soft tissue is also effective.

However I would not recommend relying on such tactics. But if you have the stick in your hands, at least it has some use.

Let me know if you find one that is strong enough.

Nomad... been beating things with sticks for a long time.

#254878 - 12/25/12 05:00 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Nomad]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I have not found a hollow rod of a size and weight that would meet walking stick criteria that would take such a punishment.

It might not be up to use as a quarterstaff, but a photographer's monopod has some useable weight, especially if you mount a small/medium ball head on it.

#254884 - 12/25/12 12:16 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Think you are onto something UTalumnus.
Anyone got ideas for something that collapses, that could be used as a walking stick . Tent poles? ski poles? Or if I simply get 2 steel tubes where one will slide inside the other how would I join them? Or ones that fold (be BIG nunchucks! :-) )
qjs

#254889 - 12/25/12 03:38 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Anyone got ideas for something that collapses, that could be used as a walking stick.

There is the Black diamond Carbon Fibre folding stick with soft touch Derby handle from NHS suppliers Phoenix Walking Sticks.

http://www.sticks.org/acatalog/Carbon_Fibre.html

#254960 - 12/29/12 03:46 AM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For the ultimate defensive walking stick, I see that Gandalf's staff, complete with "certificate of authenticity" is now available (made by United Cutlery and available from Knife Center, among others). It is only $129, so get several and save on shipping. Since it is adequate for Balrogs, goblins, and orcs in Middle Earth, it ought to be just fine for any emergencies today. It doesn't fold, and that is a minor inconvenience, but perhaps there will be a Gen 2.......

#254964 - 12/29/12 12:33 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla

Edited by LesSnyder (12/29/12 12:34 PM)

#254969 - 12/29/12 05:13 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: quick_joey_small]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Dont know about folding but that carbon fiber is strong!

#254970 - 12/29/12 05:33 PM Re: collapsible walking stick strong enough 4 defence? [Re: Nomad]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nomad
I doubt that there is a collapsible walking stick that would survive a full force blow at half its length. At least I have not found one. And I have been looking for years. To be at all effective it has to have some weight as well as strength.
That said, there are several things you can do with a typical walking stick that would help if you were in a bad situation.

My favorite is if someone grabs you by the lapels, swing the stick over their arms, hold both ends and push it up their arms into the throat. With practice you can do that very fast. Probably break the stick, but ...
A two handed thrust with the point into some soft tissue is also effective.
However I would not recommend relying on such tactics. But if you have the stick in your hands, at least it has some use.

Let me know if you find one that is strong enough.
Nomad... been beating things with sticks for a long time.

Good tips - but my line of thinking is in regards to animals on the trail not other humans. Seriously, when would somebody be using a collapsible walking stick? On the trail. What do you meet on the trail that is dangerous? I am thinking of things like bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, elk, and yes even deer. Can I hit him with the stick? Perhaps but given the light weight, it would be like swatting them with a fly swatter. Rather, I see the walking stick as a poking and jabbing tool and as an aide to keep a bit of distance between me and the beast. Effective? Well, ask me after I have an encounter! smile

I use sticks as an extention of my body and do a little poking and prodding with them before I put my hands into dangerous locations. I find it also works well in breaking cobwebs. It came in handy when I came across a rattle snake one day, it's use as a guard against its strike was perfect and allowed me to move it off the trail without harm to myself or the snake.

That said, I store my walking stick in the vehicle behind the back seat and any tool can be helpful when warding off a human attack, even a set of keys gouged in their face...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.