Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#254848 - 12/23/12 02:34 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: Brangdon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
(I live in the UK. I gather Americans have a different attitude to kettles on account of their mains power being less.)

Huh? Do you mean a lower voltage? I expect the reason electric kettles are less common here is that most homes have gas cooktops, which work very nicely to boil water for tea. High wattage electric kettles apparently used to be hard to find in the USA, but that's no longer the case.

#254851 - 12/23/12 04:06 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I too have an electric kettle.

I use it to boil water for making both tea and coffee.

For coffee, a very labor intensive wink Melitta coffee maker is used.

The Melitta coffee maker is fine with 200 F degree water from any source, be it an electric kettle or a copper kettle sitting on a camp stove. If I can boil water, I can make coffee (or tea). Once I got this and started using it, I realized my old Krups filter and pot were essentially the same except that they were part of an real turn it on and walk away coffee maker. I could easily turn that filter & pot into a manual system and make an even bigger pot. You just need to be able to boil water (even if the electricity is blacked out).

If your coffee filter sits on the pot rather than being part of your coffee maker, you too can go manual.

All of which has nothing to do with electric blankets, but then I don't use or like electric blankets.

#254854 - 12/23/12 08:48 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I am afraid getting electrocuted by the blanket.

#254855 - 12/23/12 09:01 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I have used an electric mattress pad for many years now. My current one was a post-winter Walmart sale; $40 for queen size. We also use it for warming up the bed and then turn it down to #1 (or off; my wife sleeps warmer than I do). The cats do not provide enough heat for the two of them and the two of us.

We turn the house thermostat all the way down at night but the room temp rarely drops lower than the upper 50's since we re-insulated and re-windowed the house.

For staying warm while reading or TV I add a stocking cap (no hair any more) and if it is running colder in the house I have the old insulated bib overalls I used for cold weather motorcycling. Fleece sweatpants are also a help.

#254858 - 12/23/12 11:21 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"I am more interested in certain waking situations -- creating a low-energy-consumption micro-climate where I can read or type"
Doug, have you ever heard of a kind of coat called a "Fishtailed Parka"? http://www.fishtailparkas.com/
It will keep me warm in a gale.

#254861 - 12/24/12 01:33 AM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i wore a fishtail in Korea and whatever that white looped inner shell was made of really kept the cold out.
with the high cost of heating homes there are lots of adult footed pajama sort of cozy things around these days.

#254863 - 12/24/12 03:17 AM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
At least the Pajamagram version is lacking a "trapdoor". It's set up so that you have to take off everything from the top down.

#254869 - 12/25/12 01:40 AM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I loved my blanket. Had one growing up - it did fine with the occasional accident. Had another one when I lived in Detroit. That house would literally have a breeze go through it, since the windows were so poorly sealed. Kept the house at 58 for 2 winters - the blanket allowed me to at least sleep well.

Edited by MDinana (12/25/12 01:40 AM)

#254909 - 12/26/12 06:34 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
For being in a cold room I wear Ugg boots while working at my computer (which is most of the time). I even have poor circulation and they keep me warm.

Also there is a lot of heat loss from the top of your head, so wearing a hat will help keep the rest of you warmer too.

Occasionally, I will also put a small throw over my lap when it is colder, or sometimes I wear long underwear. I have been thinking of getting some flannel-lined jeans (LL Bean has them).

I don't use it, but our cats love to sleep on a an electric throw blanket. One of these on your lap ought to keep you plenty warm. I just saw these at Walmart for around $30.

#254915 - 12/27/12 06:56 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Huh? Do you mean a lower voltage? I expect the reason electric kettles are less common here is that most homes have gas cooktops, which work very nicely to boil water for tea.
Yes, the lower voltage means they take twice as long to boil water as UK ones. We in the UK also have gas cooktops, but an electric kettle is quicker for boiling water. (Seriously: I sometimes boil water in a kettle before pouring it into a pan to use on the gas hob.)

Anyway, the point is, there are many ways to boil water, and if in a survival situation you can't manage it, then you have bigger problems. Where-as an electric blanket depends on solely on electricity. (Which is fine if you have a generator with some spare watts, but that's not my situation.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.