Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#255000 - 12/30/12 02:28 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why do discussions like this always result with someone taking their football and going home? Rhetorical Q, no need to respond.

Teslin was only saying what I (I'd say many others but that would be presumptuous) was thinking. The saying goes that there aren't any stupid questions, but I tend to disagree.

#255014 - 12/30/12 09:37 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: picard120]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Sadly, this conflagration ignited from what may have been a legitimate question. While age spots may NOT bother you, they bother many people. And they deal with it -- the exact topic of this thread -- by zapping them with laser treatment.

From a yahoo article: "While age spots are not typically dangerous, they are one of the most definite signs of aging. In fact, among people who have reached 40, age spots are one of the most common skin issues that people complain of, second only to wrinkles." <http://voices.yahoo.com/laser-age-spot-removal-works-10497739.html?cat=69>

Everyone here says this forum is different, that it remains friendly and civil. Which it is. But this thread turned ugly with a harsh, demeaning accusation. Troll.

If someone thinks a forum member is a troll, please take it up privately with a moderator. They are the forum police as well as judge and jury.Therefore they are licensed to hunt and disable trolls.

Our job, as members, is to build this community. Not chase people away.

#255016 - 12/30/12 10:33 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Why do discussions like this always result with someone taking their football and going home?

Don't have an answer to that but there have been several where I've decided to stay out of the discussion (figured it would shortly be locked or deleted and my contribution would speed that up)

#255019 - 12/30/12 10:57 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: Newsman]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Newsman
Sadly, this conflagration ignited from what may have been a legitimate question. While age spots may NOT bother you, they bother many people. And they deal with it -- the exact topic of this thread -- by zapping them with laser treatment.

From a yahoo article: "While age spots are not typically dangerous, they are one of the most definite signs of aging. In fact, among people who have reached 40, age spots are one of the most common skin issues that people complain of, second only to wrinkles." <http://voices.yahoo.com/laser-age-spot-removal-works-10497739.html?cat=69>

Everyone here says this forum is different, that it remains friendly and civil. Which it is. But this thread turned ugly with a harsh, demeaning accusation. Troll.

If someone thinks a forum member is a troll, please take it up privately with a moderator. They are the forum police as well as judge and jury.Therefore they are licensed to hunt and disable trolls.

Our job, as members, is to build this community. Not chase people away.

I totally agree. One of the things I love about ETS is that I can ask my "stupid" questions without being publically outted as stupid or a troll. We all have differing levels of experience so what one person thinks of as inane isn't necessarily so to someone else. It makes me uncomfortable and embarassed when someone gets raked over the coals because of a question they ask. Four recent examples come immediately to mind and in all cases, I believe we've lost contributing members as a result. Honestly, I think that's too many.

I felt welcomed when I started joining the discussions here, even though I felt woefully inexperienced compared to other members. I've learned a TON here because I haven't been affraid to ask y'all for guidance. We either welcome inexperience, and seek to learn and educate together, or we don't. Frankly, I like that ETS isn't elitist, and welcomes all comers without judgement.

Maybe it's the mom in me, but can't we all just be nice to each other? If someone asks a question that you think is so incredibly obvious that it's a waste of time, answer it or ignore it, but can we please stop the name calling?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255021 - 12/30/12 11:43 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: picard120]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
How do I cope with getting older? I grumble.

#255026 - 12/31/12 04:58 AM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I felt welcomed when I started joining the discussions here, even though I felt woefully inexperienced compared to other members. I've learned a TON here because I haven't been affraid to ask y'all for guidance. We either welcome inexperience, and seek to learn and educate together, or we don't. Frankly, I like that ETS isn't elitist, and welcomes all comers without judgement.

+ 1

I AM very different from the majority here. Not only I lacked knowledge in the prep world, I came from a different culture and had to learn the most basic of things. Many of my questions were stupid and even unnecessary for most. Yet no one made me feel any different than anyone else. I do appreciate that sincerely , and wish ETS remains the great place that we all know and love.

p.s.
A few days ago, I was watching (Tour of Duty) and another "stupid" question popped up in my head. I didn't ask then, but here it is : Does it happen that military officers of different ranks call each other by first name (lower rank calling higher rank by first name)? And after they retire or leave the service , does it happen they call each other by their former ranks ?

Such a question , won't help me prep or survive the fiscal cliff , but it popped in my head anyway.

Edited by Chisel (12/31/12 05:11 AM)

#255030 - 12/31/12 06:21 AM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: picard120]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The call for civility is of course quite correct.

It is worth noting that the season of joy and peace is for many a time of enormous stress, a lightning rod for the many difficulties people face.

It is also worth noting that this forum is unusual in that members take a personal stake in what happens here. It is rather more like a volunteer organization than the usual anonymous Internet free-for-all. I have seen this in myself, and have had to temper my pooh-bah-ish tendencies and back off. Sometimes a fellow member will get under your skin. I have to remind myself that I am always a guest on this forum, and a student of these complex arts.

This is a community, and we imperfect mortals all have our moments of frustration. I for one have posted a few things I should not have, and have pulled back a few boneheaded comments that were posted in anger.

Civility, yes. And that includes accepting a mea culpa in good faith.

My 2c.

#255032 - 12/31/12 06:58 AM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: Chisel]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Chisel
[quote]

p.s.
A few days ago, I was watching (Tour of Duty) and another "stupid" question popped up in my head. I didn't ask then, but here it is : Does it happen that military officers of different ranks call each other by first name (lower rank calling higher rank by first name)? And after they retire or leave the service , does it happen they call each other by their former ranks ?

Such a question , won't help me prep or survive the fiscal cliff , but it popped in my head anyway.

From a retired Air Force Master Sergeant, here's the answer: It depends. The normal rules are that the junior never calls the senior by their first name. They are addressed by their rank or Sir/Ma'am in all but a few instances. The Navy and Coast Guard call their commanding officer "Captain" even if they do not hold the rank of O-6 or not (Navy and Coasties feel free to correct me). In some organizations/situations the rules are "bent". Aircrew and Spec Ops types are in a totally different culture than the rest of us slugs. In some instances, enlisted call officers by their first name (USAF aircrew that have enlisted and officer members). I was a regular guy when I ran into the "highly irregular" practice of first name addressing during my last assignment in the Air Force. I spoke with the senior member (Lt. Col.) about how a major called him by his first name. Basically, it is allowed in their circles for convenience of in-flight operations. I also spoke with some fellow enlisted guys about this. It was the same answer. However, I will say that they are cognizant of the rules when they are not around their "own kind". It is a bit of a juggling act.

Now when it comes to retired life, some people choose to call people of certain ranks by their former ranks out of either habit or respect. In my case, I have a habit of calling a retired Chief Master Sergeant (USAF highest enlisted rank) "Chief" (an acceptable in-service form of address). I do the same for full-bird Colonels (Air Force/Army/Marines)/Captain (Navy/Coast Guard) and Generals. In post-service situations there really is no need for the formality, it is just personal preference. Now, if military retirees are in uniform for an event, then the protocols are typically expected - Rank or Sir/Ma'am, saluting, walking positions and so forth. Finally, if someone calls me "Sergeant", I feel honored. Does that help?

Edited by MoBOB (12/31/12 07:08 AM)

#255033 - 12/31/12 02:12 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: picard120]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've been on the road and didn't see the unpleasantness in this thread as quickly as I might have. Further rudeness or ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated. Most posters in this thread have been civil and there is useful information being exchanged, so I will not lock the thread now.

chaosmagnet

#255035 - 12/31/12 04:10 PM Re: how do guys cope with getting older ? [Re: MoBOB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My experience both while active and now that I'm retired is very much like MoBOB's. It depends.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.