Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#254662 - 12/14/12 06:13 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: nursemike]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: nursemike
When my kids became teenagers, I sold off the gun collection cuz they were better at finding things than I was at hiding things, and I could not chance the consequences: 24c, colt woodsman, walther pp .22, 97 winchester,...*sigh*...good kids, and worth it, but still...

I've taken the opposite approach: My three girls are all trained shooters and know where the guns are kept. They're kept locked in a safe at all times when not with me (the guns, that is, not the girls).

I would say that if you cannot, for whatever reason, commit to safe storage when kids are around, selling your guns is exactly the right thing to do.

#254663 - 12/14/12 06:22 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a couple .22LR rifles which would be good for this. Without a doubt, my fav .22LR rifle is a CZ-452 bolt action with great iron sights. It will shoot anything from 40 gr Velocitors to the much more quiet subsonic ammo and CB's. The shooter just needs to know the different trajectories. For .22LR ammo, Velocitors are fairly flat shooting and the Gold Dot bullet will do its job. Terminal velocity is key though, .22LR ammo slow down and goes transonic much quicker than most peeps realize.

#254666 - 12/14/12 10:47 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: nursemike]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Sometimes kids are more complicated than even experts in child psychology like Ayoob can comprehend. Sometimes children are even more important than guns.

Doesn't have anything to do with psychology, nor did I say guns were more important than kids. How many OTHER homes do you think you teenagers might have visited where guns were present? Unless you plan to lock your kids inside your home only, never letting them go anywhere else, ridding your home of firearms is not a 100% solution. It might make you feel better, but it doesn't accomplish much if your true goal is to keep your children safe from firearms accidents. Teaching them about guns is much better, as they are then equipped to handle any situation they might encounter, whether inside your home or inside the home of another.

However, it made you feel better to get rid of the guns, so that is worth something to you. I am not knocking that. When my kids were younger, all firearms were religiously locked up. But the kids were educated in firearms alongside that, and taught to shoot safely and responsibly. So I didn't have to worry if they were at a friends house where the parents weren't so diligent about keeping access away from kids. Now that they've grown, 100% lock up of every firearm is no longer a firm requirement. If I need to remove my carry gun and place it on the kitchen table temporarily, including fully loaded, I have no qualms about doing that now. However, I would never do that with young kids or visitors, even if they had training. If you felt the need to get rid of all your guns, I wouldn't argue with you about that. But I share in your remorse about losing some fine firearms...

#254677 - 12/15/12 09:53 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Mike is making the point that guns arent for everyone.He is absolutely right on that.

Lets respect that choice and all the members who feel that way.

Mike is 100% right doing what HE feels is safest for his family,and it worked too,well done Mike!

#254678 - 12/15/12 10:02 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
As for Ayoob,I USED to think guy was right on. Now after having looked into the guy I dont.

Do your own homework on that subject.

Ah the stuff we see on the internet,eh?
=======================
Love this line....

Abraham Lincoln said...."Dont believe everything you read on the internet"

cool

#254679 - 12/15/12 11:55 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Nice guns, Les. I especially like the S&W. Wish I had a fine piece like that!

I think we should assume that Mike knows his kids, that he probably made the best decision for their situation. We shouldn't assume that he didn't teach his kids about safety. We can argue until the Mayan apocalypse and beyond about guns and kids, but this sort of decision is so situation-specific, and that includes the feelings of the people involved. I just hope that Mike will get to pick up his old habit one day.

#254690 - 12/17/12 01:22 AM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

Bug in/out, I would perfer silence, bow, cross bow, leg hold connabear, or air rifle/pistol. I like big guns and BIG noises, just not unless I am trying to intimidate someone,...I do that before the "event" or nieghbor kids validize anything here, or worse.

Ironwood

#254704 - 12/17/12 04:26 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Ironwood]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One thing to bear in mind about survival hunting is that if your survival situation resembles the vast majority of hunting/gathering cultures, most subsistence will come from vegetal sources, especially in any long term situation. Arctic conditions would be the exception. So pay attention to Blast and his edible weeds....

#254705 - 12/17/12 05:15 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
50 year old lesson learned... if you try to live off the land for a weekend... and your survival fishing is with a couple of M80s tied to a rock.... don't drop it directly under the canoe smile

#254707 - 12/17/12 05:48 PM Re: Survival Hunting [Re: Stoney]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
another tip..if you want to try out some survival hunting don't do it in a park in Canada and then post the photos of you cooking out of season Spruce Grouse.i wonder why those guys have not posted anymore trip reports?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.