Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#255260 - 01/09/13 01:03 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: SurvivePenna]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

TV is entertainment, period. No matter how good the technique that may be demonstrated, or how appropriate, they do not show enough detail, and rarely the complete process, for a novice to be able to use it effectively. If they prompted further research and knowledge seeking, including practice of the skills before an emergency situation, which some may do, then few people heed this advice.

I like Cody's books, they are practical and give good information. I am sure that all of the actors in these shows do have some good experience. All of the shows are under the direction and control of the producers and directors, and they are there for ratings, not instruction.

#255278 - 01/09/13 06:48 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: SurvivePenna]
widget Offline
Addict

I watched the first and second episode and recorded the third. I did see a few minutes of that third episode and was not impressed with the "predator" scenario.

I also was not impressed with the first, introduction episode and the desert show. I think Discovery is over doing the special operations angle and the whole military "connection" to these shows. As someone that spent 20 years in the military and 17 of that in special operations as a Army Special Forces qualified soldier, I am not impressed with what Discovery is selling. Sort of offended, actually.

I have a lot of respect for Joe Teti and his service and his training, that doesn't mean I want it thrown at me every few minutes. You're out of the military, stop using it as a career crutch.

Cody, despite any good technique that he knows and preaches, is doing the viewer a disservice by participating on these shows which are clearly scripted and aimed at the ignorant, and not in a helpful way.

I have a 6 year old relative that loves the outdoors and shows about the outdoors, he can't watch Dual Survival because of the stupid stunts like drinking urine and cauturizing wounds with gunpowder. Now, with season 3 we have the added language using "F" words, bleeping constantly while the 2 characters argue about nothing, except the ablity to argue. This sort of nonsense is not good for kids.

Discovery channel seems set on filling their schedule with shows about people in conflict over, motorcycles, gold mining or the outdoors. They seldom have informative shows about useful subjects, everything has become over sensationalized BS aimed at some gullible viewers. Sad, they are going the same way as so many other networks and not providing much decent programming.

#255280 - 01/09/13 08:04 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: widget]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Widget you nailed it 100%

I tried to watch it,its so dang stupid I gave up.

If you dont know urine goes into a toilet......

#255287 - 01/09/13 08:51 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: spuds]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: spuds

If you dont know urine goes into a toilet......

... in a outdoor survival setting? confused

#255290 - 01/09/13 09:42 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: spuds]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Was it really that bad guys ?

I havn't seen the new season yet and now I don't know if I should bother.

#255291 - 01/09/13 09:54 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: SurvivePenna]
widget Offline
Addict

I'd say yes, it is that bad but you judge for yourself, your taste may vary from mine.

I will record the shows and give them a few minutes, if they fail to interest me, off it goes.

#255292 - 01/09/13 10:07 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: widget]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I can't even find it on PVR. It's on Discovery channel right?

#255293 - 01/09/13 10:19 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: widget]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: widget

I have a 6 year old relative that loves the outdoors and shows about the outdoors, he can't watch Dual Survival because of the stupid stunts like drinking urine and cauturizing wounds with gunpowder. Now, with season 3 we have the added language using "F" words, bleeping constantly while the 2 characters argue about nothing, except the ablity to argue. This sort of nonsense is not good for kids.

^^ This pretty much sums up my hubby's take on what he saw in the second episode.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255295 - 01/09/13 10:40 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: SurvivePenna]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

It is all going down the drain as the reality TV craze grows, instead of disappearing as it should.

#255312 - 01/10/13 02:23 PM Re: Dual Survival Is Back !!!! [Re: ]
SurvivePenna Offline
Stranger

Loc: Gettysburg, PA
DS is a TV show. TV is a business. They are in business to make money. Drama + Action = Viewers. The more viewers...the more money.

I watch the show because I like it and because I am thoroughly entertained. That does not always happen though.

About the episode dubbed "On The Menu" :

One thing (amongst many) that really seemed wierd was the whole concept about being two game warden's who overheated their vehicle's engine and lost track of where they were. So far so good...or at least it's possible albeit remotely possible. However to have TWO game warden's completely WITHOUT knives or any kind of firearms seems beyond ludacris to me.

DS has always been scripted, but with this season it seems to have been cranked up quite a bit. In fact I really hope that it is because of the script that Cody seems like a complete survival novice half the time. "I'm only going to carry firewood because you went up the mountain to get us ice...." crazy

Please !!!!

Or..."I live and work in the desert...I haven't carried firewood for over 20 years and I'm not about to start now..."

Well, Cody...are you at home ??? Where are you Cody ??? Have you ever heard about the "grab it while you can" survival mantra ???

Look up the Atacama desert !!!! Any 5 y/o can google Atacama these days...

And so on...

I love the show and will continue to watch it. Perhaps I treat it like when I watch Star Wars or Star Trek...it's a guilty pleasure. It's entertainment....

One last thing : I would have to agree with what was said in this thread about children no longer being able to watch the show. Sad but true. All we have is...DS and Survivorman. Both shows are being watched by children although Survivorman is in a whole other category when it comes to being fit for children.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.