The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#254642 - 12/14/12 10:54 AM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
In true wilderness untouched by man or by man made gear and equipment, pliers have few uses. Mainly removing quils, thorns and splinters, and perhaps cracking nuts.

Most of us venturing into the wildnernes will however have a fair bit of modern gear and equipment, and pliers are useful for all sorts of repairs and improvisations.
Bending or straightening hooks and D rings, holding items in or near a fire, unsticking zippers and pulling out nails come to mind.
Very useful for fire lighting IME as the pliers permit of tinder etc being placed exactly where required without burning the fingers.
Also useful for crunching up small sticks or pieces of wood into very small, matchstick sized pieces for fire lighting.
Just yesterday I used the pliers of a Leatherman tool to open a ring pull can of food from which the ring had come off. This was indoors, but could just as well happened in the outdoors. Opening the can with only a knife would not have been easy with some risk of damage to both knbife and user.

Plier based multi tools are of course very useful in the built enviroment, and the best survival tool is the one that you have with you. He who is used to ECDing a Leatherman tool or equivalent will probably have it with him "by default" in the great outdoors.

#254645 - 12/14/12 01:26 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
NAro Offline
Addict

On a trip some years ago I noticed my whitewater rafting guide had a Gerber Shorty knife, but next to it a small plain pair of pliars in a belt pouch. When he didn't want to cut a soggy knotted line, the pliars really helped pull the knot loose. He was a 100+ trip guide at that time, and said that he would never go out without his pliars handy.

#254653 - 12/14/12 03:58 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
A fair number of people forgo multitools on the theory they are not very good tools.

I used to carry a MT with me on service calls. over time I switched to needle nose pliers, wire cutters, and a multi bit screwdriver. now I leave the tools at home and let the plant electrician cart the tools and do the work for me.

Much cheaper and far more effective than a MT.

The extra weight is an issue in a pack though. But still, a fair number of people carry a small pair of vise grips and leave the MT at home.

The one tool I have used above all else on a MT is the pliers. But, it is not a very good set of pliers, so I can understand why some would go to a vise grip. I have seriously considered doing so.

Bob

#254667 - 12/14/12 11:26 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
From time immemorial, I have carried a multitool or its predecessor, the SAK, as EDC. When I knew I was faced with a task that required "real" tools, I carried them. Tool-kits-on-a-knife are great when you inadvertently run into a situation that requires a screw to be tightened, or a widget adjusted. Then it saves time and steps. But if you are going to be wrenching for a long time, get the real McCoy.

Frankly, I don't feel I am fully functional without my MT handy. Of course there are days when I never used it, but there are also plenty of times when it really comes in handy. Like so many things we discuss, it all depends on the specific situation and circumstances

#254668 - 12/15/12 07:17 AM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The pliers on a MT aren't as good as even a $3 pair of Wal-Mart pliers but they're a lot more compact, and often sufficient for the task. I've been surprised at all the times I've used them in the woods. If nothing else they're a great pot grabber that also carries a screwdriver, knife, file and saw.

#254836 - 12/22/12 11:54 AM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
I carry my Leatherman as EDC because I may need it BEFORE I get to the woods. Plus, it is good for gear repair, etc. Keep a Wenger SAK in my pocket too.

#254996 - 12/30/12 06:25 AM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
I've also quit carrying my full-sized Leatherman in favor of the very small, very light PS. It has a small pliers if I need to fix something on my backpack or fishing pole and a scissors to cut fishing line. I can use (and have) my knife in the screw head in a pinch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007T9DSSQ

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.