Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#254484 - 12/10/12 05:15 PM Use of pliers in the wilderness?
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
As of late it seems like some of my pocket-sized tools have developed the unnatural ability to grow legs & walk away so, unless something turns up, I'll likely be looking at getting a new multi-tool for the outdoors. This would be something I would carry in my pack when hiking & backpacking; my fixed blade would be on my person. This tool would primarily be a back-up tool but would also provide some functionality nothing else I'd be carrying does (like screwdriver bits).

Traditionally the tools I've deemed most important for the role this tool would fill are; blade, wood saw, flat & Phillips screwdriver. However, I've been wondering about how pliers could, or should, fit into the equation.

My initial thinking is that the pliers don't provide too much benefit (in fact, searching ETS about this topic I found a few threads with me saying so), but am wondering if I'm overlooking something. That said, it seems that if I bypass the Leathermans of the world and look more at SAKs that I could either get a smaller, lighter tool with all other things being similar (like the Hiker) OR I could get a bigger blade & larger, more effective saw in a package of similar bulk, but still somewhat lighter (like the OHT or maybe even the Outrider).

I'm also hesitent to spend too much on this replacement tool so, for a pliers based tool, I'd likely be considering something like the Sidekick (which falls into the same price range as the SAKs linked above).

So, given I'd be looking at an increase in bulk and/or weight over a SAK (depending on the route taken), what benefits do you see that would make the pliers a worthwhile addition?

As an aside, I do have a Skeletool CX and carry it everyday (and love it) but I usually do not bring it into the woods; it's primarily an urban tool in my eyes.

#254486 - 12/10/12 05:53 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: ]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Don't even waste your money on the Sidekick or the Wingman. Both have multiple failure points and are not worth the metal they're stamped from.

That's really good know, thanks for the heads up.

My advice would be to head to SAK Wiki's site with the listings of all of the 111mm knives. Go through each of them and look at them. Then you can make a really informed and good decision. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+111mm

That's just for the Victorinox ones. But if you go to SAK Wiki's homepage you can check out the Wenger comparable models as well, which in recent years have become quite interesting and good. But Wenger'a quality isn't quite the same.

More great information, thanks.

I have had good success with Wengers; I had (or maybe have if I can figure out what my son did with it) an older version of the current Wenger 78 that definitely fits my original bill. Back then the main blade was a clip point and not a one-hand opener and had the slide lock mechanism instead of their new logo button.

It seems to be easier to find the Victorinox models locally though.

Actually, I do have a question about the difference between these companies' lock blades though. From what I've seen, it looks like the Wenger lock blades are a bit bigger, a bit heavier and a bit more expensive than the Victorinox models. Have you compared the 2 side by side & is there a functional difference between the 2 (assuming we're talking about comparable feature sets - like the 78 vs. the OHT for example)?

Thanks.

#254487 - 12/10/12 06:20 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Most of my serious mountain backpacking has been done without pliers. I either carried a light folder or a SAK with scissors and saw.

Pliers are primarily helpful in fixing the modern gear we take into the wilderness. The gripping power helps when fixing stoves, sewing failed zippers, repairing ski/snowshoe bindings, and fixing D-rings/hooks on boots for example. This is especially true when travelling with a group of young people who are using old/donated gear.

Other useful camp tasks for pliers: handling hot pots (esp. on fires), pulling stubborn tent pegs, and loosening knots. But there are ways to accomplish all these tasks without pliers too.

I can certainly see the value of pliers and a good wire cutter if you're hiking with a dog. Some areas have abandoned fence wire (or snares left by unthinking boneheads). I have also removed porcupine quills that weren't in deep (highly unpleasant for all concerned). And pliers are great for breaking up ice balls that build up between the toes in certain snow conditions.

With all that said, if I were to get back into long-distance backpacking, where every ounce counts, I would probably go back to the lightweight folder and SAK. Odds are I could add a tiny pair of hobby needlenose pliers and still carry less weight than a Wave-II.

#254488 - 12/10/12 06:33 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Don't even waste your money on the Sidekick or the Wingman. Both have multiple failure points and are not worth the metal they're stamped from.

I've wondered about that. When the cost comes down, something has to give; and yet they might be useful on a worksite where things get stolen and lost easily. Can you suggest a source for the gory details?

OTOH, I've been carrying a Rebar for light urban use. I quite like its discreet compactness and weight, though I don't expect the tools are quite as robust. If you know of gory details on this model, I'd like to hear about them.

#254491 - 12/10/12 07:01 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Wilderness, or out camping with items that can break?

Pure wilderness camping, pliers not useful much.

But...

Used my pliers all the time when Uncle sent me to the field. Cutting wire, stripping wire, tightening items that had come loose, crimping det cord into a cap, pulling staples from boxes, splinter removal, and a bunch of other minor chores. I fixed a broken battery cable with a basic first generation Leatherman.

Better to have them and not need them ...

#254493 - 12/10/12 07:19 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: JBMat]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Wilderness, or out camping with items that can break?

I'm specifically thinking about a tool for when I'm actually out hiking or backpacking.

If I'm car camping, or just out in a more remote setting with my vehicle, I'd have access to some basic full-sized tools in my vehicle so what I carry wouldn't be the be all & end all.

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Better to have them and not need them ...

Yes and no. I have a limited amount of room & weight carrying capacity when I'm out & about so I want to choose my tools wisely.

#254494 - 12/10/12 08:03 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have used pliers with a needle and thin repair wire to sew boot soles, loosed
by fire, back on.

Vise grips are good for aid climbing to help remove small driven-in protection.

If you have pliers along, like Doug says, they can be used every day as pot
grips.

Maybe some use like a hemostat. Maybe a hemostat could find some use as
pliers?

Fisher people make use of pliers a lot.

Pulling teeth?

Skinning a pig?

#254495 - 12/10/12 08:13 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have had many occasions to use pliers while in the woods, many times for working on my gear, but also for dealing with metal items encountered, such as barbed wire. I have not tried the Victronox, but I have never had any issues with my Leatherman or gerber ones. They are useful out there.

#254501 - 12/10/12 10:02 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: Denis]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX

i haven't found many uses for a large multi-tool plier (ie: Leatherman Supertool 300) in the wilderness.

but have often used the tiny pliers on my SAK SwissChamp or Leatherman Squirt tools for pulling quills from the dogs, or grabbing a needle, or pulling a leather lanyard thru a hole, or holding something hot...

these days i carry a SAK and a locking blade folder into the woods.

#254502 - 12/10/12 10:19 PM Re: Use of pliers in the wilderness? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What he said. wink

I use my LM Wave pilars in the wilds mostly for handling pots on the fire, pulling tent pegs, fixing gear and cutting old wire we come across in the bush. I use most of the other tools regularly as well so I continue to carry it.

That said, i probably use the SAK I carry just as much. They're a great duo.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.