Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#254439 - 12/08/12 11:35 PM Easy tip - learn to jump start a car
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...And print out the instructions for the glove compartment...esp. for your kids.
(Hint its NOT positive to positive and negative to negative)

#254441 - 12/09/12 12:25 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I dunno, you are not suppose to but that's how 95% of the people do it, and it works just fine.

The pouch my jumper cable came in actually have the correct instruction printed on it.

#254443 - 12/09/12 02:38 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have yet to see a vehicle that has a convenient, reliable ground point on the frame for boosting. I can't imagine it would cost vehicle manufacturers more than a buck to add one. (Shame!)

That's why people end up using the negative post of the battery as the ground -- even when they know it's not the recommended location.

So, I have reluctantly done it "the wrong way" with evenly matched vehicles and batteries that were only weak, not dead. No problems to report. I'm no expert, but I suspect the trick is to take some time and charge the weak battery at low revs. Then start the weak vehicle, keeping low revs on the charging vehicle. Important safety note in this situation: nobody is allowed anywhere near the batteries when charging or starting is taking place.

But I'm mighty paranoid about "the wrong method," for good reason. Too much juice, in too much of a hurry, with battery-to-battery connections, can be dramatic (and not in a good way). I once witnessed a fellow trying to jump-start a big piece of diesel heavy equipment; he did straight connections, revved his pickup truck up, and blew the caps off that big Cat battery several feet into the air. Yikes!

#254445 - 12/09/12 06:51 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
In my experience, these vehicles have convenient non-moving engine parts (grounds):

1989 Jeep Cherokee
2002 Ford Escape
2000 Honda Civic
2000 Mitsubishi Galant
Various Mercedes sedans

It would be nice if the part was neon orange, but still the part has not been that hard to find. By the way, the reason for not connecting to the negative dead battery is because you risk igniting hydrogen gas from the battery. I have never heard of this happening, but if it happened only once in history, that's enough.

#254446 - 12/09/12 11:10 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Boosting the battery, changing a tire, changing wipers and checking & topping up fluids. That's about the extent of my vehicle repair skills - all vital and easy once you know how to do it. My Dad made sure I knew how to do them all before I started driving and we'll do the same for our kids.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254452 - 12/09/12 04:30 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: dougwalkabout]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
but I suspect the trick is to take some time and charge the weak battery at low revs. Then start the weak vehicle, keeping low revs on the charging vehicle.

Last time I jumped a fellow my low revs didn't charge his battery whatsoever. Had to hold my revs in the 1800 range to charge his battery somewhat. The jumper cables I had were not capable of carrying full starting current from my battery to his. That's why they are called "booster cables" rather than jumpers (on the packaging).

Reason you don't want to connect post to post is that there will be a spark generated on making the final (4th) connection. You don't want that spark to be close to the top of the battery where hydrogen gas from charging is generated. The spark could propagate into the space above the cells and blow up the battery. (or so I'm told) Having a battery blow up in your face would be a very bad thing.

#254453 - 12/09/12 05:44 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: unimogbert]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
but I suspect the trick is to take some time and charge the weak battery at low revs. Then start the weak vehicle, keeping low revs on the charging vehicle.

Reason you don't want to connect post to post is that there will be a spark generated on making the final (4th) connection. You don't want that spark to be close to the top of the battery where hydrogen gas from charging is generated. The spark could propagate into the space above the cells and blow up the battery. (or so I'm told) Having a battery blow up in your face would be a very bad thing.

I agree that a hydrogen/battery explosion is the primary concern. I was always told that grounding on the frame ensured the primary current path was through the starter and only a secondary current would pass through the battery (thus generating less hydrogen).

Grounding to frame on the dead vehicle is the safe and proper way to do it. Unfortunately, many vehicles don't provide a good frame grounding point that a clamp can hold on to.

(A clarification: by "low revs" I didn't mean idling. You have to rev up a little to charge the dead battery; the bigger the battery, the longer it will take to put a partial charge on it.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/09/12 05:48 PM)

#254455 - 12/09/12 07:40 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: unimogbert]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The jumper cables I had were not capable of carrying full starting current from my battery to his. That's why they are called "booster cables" rather than jumpers (on the packaging).
You want to have big thick jumpers. The thin little weenie cables that often come in commercial roadside emergency kits just don't carry the current efficiently.

Heavy gauge cables are more expensive, but work much more effectively. I had a good illustration of that just the other evening. As I was warming my car up to leave work, a fellow asked if I could help jump his car. Temperatures were around 0 F (-18 C). When I drove over to where he was, another guy already had his thin jumpers on and they were trying to start the car. No luck. We decided to try my (heavy duty) jumpers, and finally, after some effort, got the car started.

#254457 - 12/09/12 10:27 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

second tip - learn how to hot wire the ignition of your own car.

case in point ... my vehicle has a faulty ignition switch and I almost didn't make it to work last Friday morning. I need to check which wires need to be crossed to start the engine :-)

Pete2

#254460 - 12/09/12 10:53 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
The jumper cables I had were not capable of carrying full starting current from my battery to his. That's why they are called "booster cables" rather than jumpers (on the packaging).
You want to have big thick jumpers. The thin little weenie cables that often come in commercial roadside emergency kits just don't carry the current efficiently.

Heavy gauge cables are more expensive, but work much more effectively. I had a good illustration of that just the other evening. As I was warming my car up to leave work, a fellow asked if I could help jump his car. Temperatures were around 0 F (-18 C). When I drove over to where he was, another guy already had his thin jumpers on and they were trying to start the car. No luck. We decided to try my (heavy duty) jumpers, and finally, after some effort, got the car started.

Also when it comes to jumper cables, get a set that is 3' longer then your car or truck so that your vehicle can be boosted by another vehicle parked behind your car. Nothing more dangerous then attempting to maneuver a vehicle around in heavy traffic or narrow roads so that the 2 are front bumper to each other for a jump...

Also for exploding batteries, I can tell you from personal experience that it does happen. Fortunately when it happened to a friend and I, we escaped any serious acid burns and were able to get thoroughly washed off right away. Our clothes though, took the brunt of the acid spray and had be thrown in the garbage.

John Lubbock

#254461 - 12/09/12 10:59 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I'd say that no one can hot wire my car since it has a chip key. But my buddy who is a mechanic says at work they all have blackberry's that basically wirelessly unlock and turn on any chipped car. And that it wouldn't be hard for someone to get the software for their own personal blackberry to steal cars with. So yep...bummer.

Not exactly correct. The car needs a special hardware module such as from Viperware in order to use a Smartphone to remote start the car. And like traditional remote start systems, you will still need the ignition key inserted to actually be able to drive the car.

John Lubbock

#254462 - 12/09/12 11:06 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Teslinhiker]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Just picked up a set of 2 gauge x 20' long at the local Autozone for a relative. They come with a storage bag & instructions are printed on the bag.

#254464 - 12/09/12 11:18 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: UTAlumnus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It's been so long since I've done it, I forget how.

It's connect both ends on the live battery, and positive end and ground to frame on the dead-battery car, right?

#254468 - 12/09/12 11:47 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

jumping

positive terminal goes to positive terminal.
your negative terminal (good car) goes to ground on the dead car.

that's the recommended approach.
but quite often I just connect negative to negative ... and am very careful not to spark the wires as I connect them.

Pete2

#254470 - 12/09/12 11:55 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:
But my buddy who is a mechanic says at work they all have blackberry's that basically wirelessly unlock and turn on any chipped car. And that it wouldn't be hard for someone to get the software for their own personal blackberry to steal cars with. So yep...bummer.

That strikes me as being unlikely. Most chipped ignition keys use RFID technology, and there's no RFID transceiver on any blackberry I've heard of. Car manufacturers would eventually stop using it if it was so easy to circumvent.

You can build an RFID cloning transceiver, but you'd also have to defeat the lock on the steering column.

Quote:
Not to mention you can order online diagnostic tools that plug into the onboard computer. I'm sure someone can force open your hood and plug one of those in and turn a car on and take it for a ride.

Easier still to get at it through the OBD port, but again you have to defeat the RFID "immobilizer" and the steering column lock to drive it away.[/quote]

#254481 - 12/10/12 04:11 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Izzy, take the distributer cap wire home with you.

#254490 - 12/10/12 06:40 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
case in point ... my vehicle has a faulty ignition switch and I almost didn't make it to work last Friday morning. I need to check which wires need to be crossed to start the engine :-)

Pete, what do you drive? Because then I'll know what car not to buy next! smile

Are you serious, hot wiring still works on modern cars? With or without the key in the ignition?

Edit: Wait--what? Key in the ignition? LOL, it's like the joke about the drunkard who drops his keys at night and looks for them under the streetlight--because that's where the light is!

Edited by Arney (12/10/12 11:28 PM)

#254492 - 12/10/12 07:09 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've noticed some new vehicles are forcing somewhat proper jump-starting techniques. My newer Chevy, for example, doesn't expose the battery's terminals. To boost a vehicle (or get boosted) you pretty much have to use their exposed, remote positive terminal and the vehicles ground.

Here's a picture I found online of a similar vehicle under the hood:

The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall (you can see it in this video). I'd say its an obvious terminal but I've forgot it was there before and clamped elsewhere smile.

#254496 - 12/10/12 08:18 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Denis
The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall.... I'd say its an obvious terminal....

What, an auto manufacturer exhibiting common sense? Inconceivable! shocked

#254508 - 12/10/12 10:47 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Truck has 2 Sears platinum AGM batteries,same as military uses only branded Sears with 100 dollar less price tag. Very powerful.I dont think there is any other battery that packs more amps than this,at least when I last researched em.

Young fella with dead Honda,hooked him up.He says you need to start yours. Just go ahead says I.

Started him like he had 2 Sears Platinums.

Want a really really good battery for vehicle,thats it.

#254528 - 12/11/12 02:27 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Apropos to this thread ... I was just flagged down in a drugstore parking lot by a lady whose older Jeep wouldn't start.

No problem, went for my tool bag ... and realized I had tossed it in another vehicle that I'm repairing. But packrattery has its rewards -- I had a lightweight set that I got for free, and they were still stuffed under the seat. They barely reached with the vehicles touching, but we got her going first time. Even found a good frame ground on the first try; that never happens.

So there's my good deed for the day (which never goes unpunished, you know, so I'm a little wary). wink

#254656 - 12/14/12 04:07 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: jzmtl]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
One trick I have seen that seems to work fairly well is to touch bumpers so there is no need for the black cable at all. Only works on cars that have metal bumpers though, and a lot of them no longer have exposed metal bumpers.

Bob

#254928 - 12/28/12 02:40 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

One more reason to always park your car–when possible–facing out of the parking space/driveway/garage.

Far easier for a friend or helpful good Samaritan to assist you.

#254931 - 12/28/12 04:28 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: AKSAR]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

2ga isn't very common to find but 4ga should be easy enough at any decent auto store. 8' is too short, 12' length is common but better to get the 16' or even 20' foot length because you may not be able to get close enough to reach. (Mine is the common 6ga, 12' variety). Besides the jumper cables, you want to have a terminal brush and wrenches. If you can't start a vehicle right away, clean the terminals and re-secure before attempting the jumper procedure. Terminals are subject to corrosion and may even vibrate loose causing a poor electrical connection.

Running the charging vehicle at low revs (1500) for a few minutes will help bring a discharged battery alive. Remember, AFTER getting a boost, make sure you drive and recharge the battery for a while to make sure you don't need to re-boost. Then check to find out WHY you needed a boost in the first place! If you simply forgot the headlights on that's one thing but what if your alternator belt is slipping and you aren't fully charging? Perhaps your battery is too old or needs servicing? Or perhaps you have a nicked or cut wire or the terminals have vibrated loose?

PS I kinda smiled when you mentioned 0*F, that's only the beginning of cold where I live and it gets a whole lot colder than that. Canadians and northern US states also are used to having block heaters installed. It is simply a 500-800 watt replacement for an engine block frost plug that allows you to keep your oil warm and make it easier to turn the vehicle over. To go along with this, I have a 70-100 watt battery "blanket" that wraps around the battery to keep it warm. A warm battery is a lot easier to start.

I recently replaced my 6-yr old OEM battery. It was a size 40r with only 590 CCA (cold cranking amps). It was merely "adequate". I replaced it with a Canadian branded (Motomaster Eliminator - way better than Sears!) 700 CCA battery the same size. The extra juice means, I can turn over a cold engine even in -40* weather. It came in handy the other day when I had to start my car in -25*C after sitting for 4 days without "plugging in". I am very much a fan of oversizing batteries for cold climates!

#254935 - 12/28/12 05:22 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Roarmeister]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
PS I kinda smiled when you mentioned 0*F, that's only the beginning of cold where I live and it gets a whole lot colder than that. Canadians and northern US states also are used to having block heaters installed. It is simply a 500-800 watt replacement for an engine block frost plug that allows you to keep your oil warm and make it easier to turn the vehicle over. To go along with this, I have a 70-100 watt battery "blanket" that wraps around the battery to keep it warm. A warm battery is a lot easier to start.
Roar,
I wasn't intending to brag when I mentioned 0 F (-18 C), it just happened to be the temperature at the time I helped the guy jump his car. smile

Anchorage is about 61 N Lat, but has a strong marine influence, so tends to be somewhat warmer than the interior. I think the all time low for Anchorage is somewhere around -30 F (-34 C), but more typical lows this time of year tend to be in the range of 0 F to -20 F (-18 C to -29 C), depending on what part of town you live in (the east side of town typically being colder). Fairbanks and the interior get much colder than Anchorage, and most folks up there have block heaters. The coldest ambient temperatures I've personally experienced was -60 F (-51 C), but that was when I was up on the North Slope at Prudhoe Bay.

I've had both block heaters and battery blankets in the past, but I have found I generally don't find I need them in Anchorage, especially since I now park the car in a garage at night. With a decent battery I haven't really had any issues at typical low temperatures in Anchorage, except when I've done something dumb like leave a dome light on. frown

#254939 - 12/28/12 01:00 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

In addition to carrying a set of long, heavy gauge jumper cables, I've also put battery pack jumpstarters in both cars. It's very easy to deploy, allows one to self-rescue if you need a jump, and can run your cellphone or other devices for quite some time. Just make sure you follow the directions about keeping it charged.

#254940 - 12/28/12 02:30 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: chaosmagnet]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I learned the hard way about 10 years ago about keeping those Emergency Jumpers plugged in and charged - I had one that I hadn't plugged in for about a year, and when I needed it, it didn't work. I've read you need to top them off every 30 days or so.

#254947 - 12/28/12 09:18 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: RNewcomb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I learned the hard way about 10 years ago about keeping those Emergency Jumpers plugged in and charged - I had one that I hadn't plugged in for about a year, and when I needed it, it didn't work. I've read you need to top them off every 30 days or so.

The ones I have from Costco state in their directions to charge them immediately after use and at least every thirty days. I have a Monthly Battery Maintenance Procedure where they both get charged, along with the emergency cellphone chargers and the ham radio HTs. Quarterly I rotate and recharge the battery in my shotgun's weaponlight along with any unused Eneloops. Stuff that's being used gets charged more often as appropriate.

#254998 - 12/30/12 08:23 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: RNewcomb]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb

Mine went completely dead after about 5 years. I called the manufacturer. The tech said the huge battery in it has a shelf life of 5 or 6 years, no matter how you treat it. He was actually kind of laughing at my ignorance.

I used it exactly once over the five year period. I won't be buying one of those devices again. I don't know how long it has been sitting on the store shelf. Also, I would need to replace it after 3 years or less in order to ensure it will be working when I need it, and that's assuming it was sitting on the store shelf for no more than a year.

#255018 - 12/30/12 10:37 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Anyone know if there's a "Smart" charger for jumpers similar to the high-end chargers for AA batteries which give information re. battery life, charge level, etc?

#255034 - 12/31/12 03:12 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: JPickett]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: JPickett
Anyone know if there's a "Smart" charger for jumpers similar to the high-end chargers for AA batteries which give information re. battery life, charge level, etc?

You are probably looking for something like the West Mountain Radio Battery Analyzer combined with a good float charger. I am partial to the Powersonic chargers myself.

#255601 - 01/17/13 10:45 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

the lower the gauge (#@) the fatter the wire, the more juice for jumping. get the fat $50 ones

#255627 - 01/18/13 08:20 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
The longer cables that are low gauge make for reasonable emergency towing. I have seen it done and it seems effective for a those situations where the car is only in a minor problem - needs a bit of help getting out of the ditch or snow bank.

#255628 - 01/18/13 08:51 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: MoBOB]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
The longer cables that are low gauge make for reasonable emergency towing. I have seen it done and it seems effective for a those situations where the car is only in a minor problem - needs a bit of help getting out of the ditch or snow bank.

Wow, how is that hitched? Do you tie the cable as if it's rope?

#255632 - 01/19/13 01:20 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ireckon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: ireckon

That is what my cousin and I did a bzillion years ago. He used his cables and his VW bug to help a guy out of slight predicament. Worked pretty good.

#255686 - 01/21/13 06:30 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

During Christmas vacation, my sister needed a jump in the middle of the night. No problem, I had my jumper cables in the back of my SUV. The next day, after she drove around throughout the day, she came back to me and said, "Thank you so much for the jump, but can you go out there and close the hood all the way?" Apparently, I had failed to close the hood fully after I had jumped her car.

I asked her, "You can't close the hood?"

No, she couldn't, seriously. Wow.

#255730 - 01/22/13 02:09 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: MoBOB]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon

That is what my cousin and I did a bzillion years ago. He used his cables and his VW bug to help a guy out of slight predicament. Worked pretty good.

I suppose it would work if you had nothing better but in the same vane, I think it would be unlikely to be useful for its original purpose after that.

#255744 - 01/22/13 10:04 AM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My retired climbing ropes had a second career as auto tow ropes - that is a bit cheaper than using jumper cables. I actually overstressed my rope and broke it on one occasion. It was pretty spectacular. Do stand clear when applying power

#257094 - 03/03/13 06:42 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

"Red to dead" is the single phrase I need to remember how to jump. I don't like the idea of needing to rely on written instructions. By the way, I have to jump a car maybe once every 3 years. I was finding that I had to look up the instructions like a newbie every time. The proper sequence is uncommon, unnatural knowledge. I'm unafraid to admit that anonymously here on the Internet!

"Red to dead" means apply the red clip to the dead battery first. For me, the rest is obvious. I know that I need to close the circuit in sequence. That is, (1) red clip to the dead battery's positive terminal, then (2) red clip to live battery's positive terminal, then (3) black clip to the live battery's negative terminal, and then (4) black clip to dead car's ground.

#273348 - 12/22/14 09:31 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: dougwalkabout]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Denis
The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall.... I'd say its an obvious terminal....

What, an auto manufacturer exhibiting common sense? Inconceivable! shocked

I know this is an old thread, but I thought of it when I was changing the battery on my Traverse. Turns out the remote posts are due to the fact that the battery isn't in the engine compartment; its under the floor behind the passenger seat.

So much for being due to common sense!

#273350 - 12/22/14 10:32 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I think the Honda Accord has the same configuration. My Wife's Mazda has the jump points on the opposite ends of the engine bay. Jumping to/from that car is an unholy pain.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#273352 - 12/22/14 11:32 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And learn it now, in your driveway, rather than on a lonely mountain road during a storm

#273357 - 12/23/14 03:53 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
And learn it now, in your driveway, rather than on a lonely mountain road during a storm

And most importantly RTFM. I had a british guy borrowing my jumper cables this summer. They couldn't get the car going, so i checked. He put the leads on the wrong way around...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.