Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#254461 - 12/09/12 10:59 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I'd say that no one can hot wire my car since it has a chip key. But my buddy who is a mechanic says at work they all have blackberry's that basically wirelessly unlock and turn on any chipped car. And that it wouldn't be hard for someone to get the software for their own personal blackberry to steal cars with. So yep...bummer.

Not exactly correct. The car needs a special hardware module such as from Viperware in order to use a Smartphone to remote start the car. And like traditional remote start systems, you will still need the ignition key inserted to actually be able to drive the car.

John Lubbock

#254462 - 12/09/12 11:06 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Teslinhiker]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Just picked up a set of 2 gauge x 20' long at the local Autozone for a relative. They come with a storage bag & instructions are printed on the bag.

#254464 - 12/09/12 11:18 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: UTAlumnus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It's been so long since I've done it, I forget how.

It's connect both ends on the live battery, and positive end and ground to frame on the dead-battery car, right?

#254468 - 12/09/12 11:47 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

jumping

positive terminal goes to positive terminal.
your negative terminal (good car) goes to ground on the dead car.

that's the recommended approach.
but quite often I just connect negative to negative ... and am very careful not to spark the wires as I connect them.

Pete2

#254470 - 12/09/12 11:55 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:
But my buddy who is a mechanic says at work they all have blackberry's that basically wirelessly unlock and turn on any chipped car. And that it wouldn't be hard for someone to get the software for their own personal blackberry to steal cars with. So yep...bummer.

That strikes me as being unlikely. Most chipped ignition keys use RFID technology, and there's no RFID transceiver on any blackberry I've heard of. Car manufacturers would eventually stop using it if it was so easy to circumvent.

You can build an RFID cloning transceiver, but you'd also have to defeat the lock on the steering column.

Quote:
Not to mention you can order online diagnostic tools that plug into the onboard computer. I'm sure someone can force open your hood and plug one of those in and turn a car on and take it for a ride.

Easier still to get at it through the OBD port, but again you have to defeat the RFID "immobilizer" and the steering column lock to drive it away.[/quote]

#254481 - 12/10/12 04:11 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Izzy, take the distributer cap wire home with you.

#254490 - 12/10/12 06:40 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Pete]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pete
case in point ... my vehicle has a faulty ignition switch and I almost didn't make it to work last Friday morning. I need to check which wires need to be crossed to start the engine :-)

Pete, what do you drive? Because then I'll know what car not to buy next! smile

Are you serious, hot wiring still works on modern cars? With or without the key in the ignition?

Edit: Wait--what? Key in the ignition? LOL, it's like the joke about the drunkard who drops his keys at night and looks for them under the streetlight--because that's where the light is!

Edited by Arney (12/10/12 11:28 PM)

#254492 - 12/10/12 07:09 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've noticed some new vehicles are forcing somewhat proper jump-starting techniques. My newer Chevy, for example, doesn't expose the battery's terminals. To boost a vehicle (or get boosted) you pretty much have to use their exposed, remote positive terminal and the vehicles ground.

Here's a picture I found online of a similar vehicle under the hood:

The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall (you can see it in this video). I'd say its an obvious terminal but I've forgot it was there before and clamped elsewhere smile.

#254496 - 12/10/12 08:18 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
The red cap is the remote positive terminal and that black box to the left of it is the enclosed battery. Not shown in that picture is the ground; for this they also provide a terminal to use near the battery on the firewall.... I'd say its an obvious terminal....

What, an auto manufacturer exhibiting common sense? Inconceivable! shocked

#254508 - 12/10/12 10:47 PM Re: Easy tip - learn to jump start a car [Re: TeacherRO]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Truck has 2 Sears platinum AGM batteries,same as military uses only branded Sears with 100 dollar less price tag. Very powerful.I dont think there is any other battery that packs more amps than this,at least when I last researched em.

Young fella with dead Honda,hooked him up.He says you need to start yours. Just go ahead says I.

Started him like he had 2 Sears Platinums.

Want a really really good battery for vehicle,thats it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.