gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Do you float? lol

#254842 - 12/22/12 10:31 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: gonewiththewind]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Do you float? lol

Well, if I wind up sinking for good, I don't much care what the fate of the PLB is...

#282901 - 12/05/16 02:05 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

#282902 - 12/05/16 04:21 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: QuietStove
I found an interesting link on ResQLink battery replacement.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749245

I don't have enough information to know if changing the battery is a straight forward process for the technically inclined or if it is a matter of revenue generation for the PLB company. Or perhaps since it is a life saving device not letting consumers toy with battery replacement is a wise decision.

Penny wise, Pound STUPID!

Here is an opinion from earlier in this very thread. Amateur battery replacement doesn't seem like a very good idea for critical equipment.

#282903 - 12/05/16 03:05 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

The expiration date in my SarLink View is 04/2016.

Yes, I decided to open it. I'm certainly am not willing to pay an outrageous $130.00 to send to it someone whom I do not know other than they are "certified" (whatever that means) to "service" my make and model PLB.

The battery in my SarLink is simply two sets of two Panasonic CR14375 (These exact battery cells are available on Amazon.) connected in series and spot-welded with nickle strips at each terminal, then taped together. (Interestingly enough the batteries are dated 02-2020) The wires are then soldered to the tabs, and then entire package is then covered in heat shrink tubing. If one really wants to do a sweet build then by utilizing new Molex connectors 51065-0200 and 50212-8100 one could build a battery pack without having to transfer the current connectors. The "gasket" appears to be silicone and it is not becoming deficient anytime soon.

What I find rather ironic is that the batteries are not soldered to the circuit board. On most electric shavers and toothbrushes the batteries are spot-welded and soldered in place which makes an excellent connection but that is not the case on my life-saving PLB. For my PLB it seems the build engineers decided a friction based connection will suffice. Connectors are simply not as reliable as a soldered joint. And this connection IMHO is more of a deficiency on this make and model PLB than any battery build (certified or amateur).

Edited by ChicagoCraig (12/05/16 03:08 PM)

#282904 - 12/05/16 06:18 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: ChicagoCraig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It would appear that you know your way around electronics. If so, carry on and enjoy the savings!

I think this whole thread lays bare one of the problems inherent with electronic gadgets. You are dependent upon their reliability and the reliability of the system of which they are part. Experience, at least that which gets reported, indicates that PLBs, etc. and their systems work well enough.

Your first, and often best, strategy is to insure that your enterprise is well equipped with materials, knowledge, and skills, to deal with emergencies and glitches.

I note that I started this thread in 2012 seeking information on PLBs. I still have not taken the plunge and purchased -mostly inertia, but also that traditional methods have worked and still do. I make sure that dependable folks (mostly my wife) know my plans and where I will be.

#282905 - 12/05/16 06:22 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Can you do it yourself? Yes (probably). Should you do it yourself? Maybe, if you have the skills and know what you are doing.

The problem from the manufacture's perspective is probably liability if the user screws up the battery replacement in a critical unit like the PLB, and someone dies as a result of a failed battery replacement. They then get sued over a faulty design that allowed the user to screw up battery replacement.

In a device like a PLB, as an attorney, I would advise the Company to NOT design to allow users to easily change batteries, say like in a flashlight, and to make sure that a certified service is available to change the batteries. IMO, the legal risk of not doing so would be too high.

#282906 - 12/05/16 07:43 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I note that some satellite phones have an "sos" - would this be similar to a plb?

tro

#282910 - 12/05/16 11:43 PM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In my opinion, a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is a device that does one thing very well; it sends a signal to a satellite constellation that tells an established SAR system where you are. Your PLB being active at all is your 9-1-1. Because it cannot do anything else, its battery should always be at or near full charge.

Simply because of normal usage, a satellite phone's battery may be at a low state just when you need it most.

my $.02

#282911 - 12/06/16 01:10 AM Re: Let's Talk PLBs...... [Re: bws48]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: bws48
Can you do it yourself? Yes (probably). Should you do it yourself? Maybe, if you have the skills and know what you are doing.

The problem from the manufacture's perspective is probably liability if the user screws up the battery replacement in a critical unit like the PLB, and someone dies as a result of a failed battery replacement. They then get sued over a faulty design that allowed the user to screw up battery replacement.

In a device like a PLB, as an attorney, I would advise the Company to NOT design to allow users to easily change batteries, say like in a flashlight, and to make sure that a certified service is available to change the batteries. IMO, the legal risk of not doing so would be too high.

Hi,
What about smoke alarms?
They've had replaceable batteries for decades ...
the liability argument is a non-starter,
if that was the real issue the lawyers would craft a license agreement disclaiming liability, like they already do for every product under the sun

Only recently are 10 year non-replacable batteries smoke-alarms becoming the standard,
and not because something could break in the life saving device,
its because too many people are lazy to replace batteries ,
esp property managers,
so they end up with nonworking fire/smoke alarms.
That and the smoke alarm companies don't sell batteries smile

Like Doug Ritter said, the market is too small,
there is no profit in replaceable batteries

but the whole technology
gets smaller and more reliable
argument doesn't hold anymore
as its been plenty small and reliable for a while now
a 5 year old cellphone is perfect example of this

so it makes sense for individuals like hikers
who wouldn't buy a new one,
to get an old one at low price and replace batteries
provided its compliant with the current standard

and yes , it doesn't make sense to ship old one in for service/battery replacement,
esp if you're a boater/flyer/offroader/business ,
for those people it makes sense to buy a new one,
esp from liability perspective (your lawyers are weak :D)

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.