The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#254352 - 12/06/12 07:44 PM SLEEPING BAGS
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I am looking to rebuild my camping and backpacking gear. My ex got most of it in 1998.

I have started to collect stuff again.

There is a guy selling military sleep systems on eBay for $59 plus shipping. Its a heavy thing in total but most times you would not need the whole thing anyway.

I am thinking for summer months a military poncho with the liner in it is purportedly a reasonable facsimile of a sleeping bag. it would probably work Ok in my new hammock that arrived today.

But for cooler times of the year I think I will need more. I am not overjoyed with the MSS but it is relatively cheap and warm enough with all three pieces for any camping I would do.

What do you guys think? I am a big guy (around the waist anyway) so I don't want something tiny, and it seems adequate, but have never used one before.

Bob

#254354 - 12/06/12 08:06 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I look forward to this thread,esp the military bags.

#254355 - 12/06/12 08:11 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
$59 and shipping is a steal. Literally. These have to be used. While the system is warm, it's heavy and bulky. Used it for a while, was not real impressed with it overall - again, too heavy and bulky. I often cheated and used a civvy bag in a military cover.

#254356 - 12/06/12 08:55 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For myself, I'd love to find a reasonably-priced sleeping bag that is fairly warm and stores down pretty small. My research into the market indicates that I can have two of those three things, but I'd love for someone to prove me wrong.

#254358 - 12/06/12 09:09 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Warm, light, cheap - choose two of three. If you are going to do any backpacking, I heartily recommend warm and light and skip all frivolous expenses for a while - you need a down bag. Years ago, I ponied up what was more than a month's wages for a quality down bag. It was one of the best purchases I have ever made. i would still be using that bag today if it had not been stolen.

If you are not backpacking, considerably cheaper options are available. There are some very fine synthetic fill bags that are a bit heavy and bulky, but warm enough for almost all conditions.

#254359 - 12/06/12 09:15 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you are not backpacking, considerably cheaper options are available. There are some very fine synthetic fill bags that are a bit heavy and bulky, but warm enough for almost all conditions.

The main reason I want (yet another) sleeping bag is to stash one with my car kit. I have a couple nice ones that I like a lot but are bulky as heck and would eat up the last remaining shreds of sanity in my car's trunk. Heavy doesn't bug me for this purpose.

Just so I know, could you point me at a good one that's light and warm?

#254361 - 12/06/12 09:39 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm currently using a 4 season Snugpak Softie Osprey 12 with an Expanda Panel. Sleeping bag liner is Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite extreme.

If it gets really cold then some Marks and Spencer Thermal top and bottoms. and some British Army Softie Bivi Trousers and Jacket and some Down Slippers.

A good sleeping pad is also essential.

#254363 - 12/06/12 10:50 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Check the selection at REI. They will have a range of everything available except for the lightest and most pricey - Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering. I have had good results with Marmot bags.

#254364 - 12/06/12 11:04 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I personally like Wiggy's bags. They are heavy and can be bulky depending on the compression system, but unlike down they will keep you warm even when wet, have a lifetime guarantee and can stay compressed indefinitely. Machine washable to boot.

If you are looking for a car bag I would especially get a Wiggy's, as their only downside is weight. That said, I have no real problem carrying them around under a ruck anyway, but they are definitely not for the ultralighter types.

Keep an eye out for sales on their website as you can often find great deals.

Greg

#254365 - 12/06/12 11:15 PM Re: SLEEPING BAGS [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the pointers. Wiggy's has 20% off and free shipping, but still a bit too much for a "just in case" bag right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.