Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#253790 - 11/24/12 05:07 PM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is time in invoke Hikermor's Law - "The more varied outdoors circumstances you experience, the more stoves you will acquire." Eventually you will possess the entire spectrum, ranging from Esbit and alcohol (for balmy summer afternoons) to canisters to roaring liquid fueled apparatii (actually blast furnaces in disguise) - great for Antarctic blizzards and melting glaciers. Each type has its optimum zone where it works quite well and dependably.

Most of the time I use my faithful canister Pocket Rocket, but I don't do extreme conditions anymore. I usually throw in some Esbit cubes or alcohol, even on simple warm day hikes. If I had just one stove, it would be a liquid fueled model, probably something akin to the classic Svea or Primus, rigs which have kept me fed, warm, and happy in fairly tough circumstances. They are a bit heavier than necessary in mild conditions, but they are convenient, with minor environmental impact.

#253833 - 11/26/12 01:03 AM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: Burncycle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I like th esbit because it's an inexpensive, simple, lightweight, versatile and pretty durable piece of kit that heats things up pretty well. I can use it per directions, use the fuels tabs without the stove, or I skip the tabs and use the esbit stove like a hobob stove for a small wood fire.

That said, hikermor's law comes into play. I'm thinking about getting a Jet Boil as my back-up (to the campfire) for the colder months of the year, when I really want to eat something hot and substantial. My main cooking method other than flame roasted, is boiling, so while the esbit is good, the Jet Boil sounds better. (That is except for the weight, size and cost, of course.)

Of course, the reality for me is that I've so very rarely needed anything more a campfire or my esbit, that I'm having a hard time justfying the cost. I've owned a micro stove for 10 or 11 years, and I've only used it three or four times. I having a hard time justifying purchasing another one.

Another way the esbit shines through is that I can store it in my pack in my vehicle and not worry about it being affected by temperture fluxuations. I've never felt comfortable leaving liquid or gas fuel in the vehicle. Not sure if that's a justified concern or not, but it is another factor in my decision to carry an esbit.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253836 - 11/26/12 02:09 AM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I used to use Esbit stoves years ago, but I was just never really happy with their performance. They're basically the same as putting your cup/pot/pan over a fire. You don't really get much adjustment to the flame.

After using them for a while I bought an MSR PocketRocket, which I was a lot happier with. It's just as convenient to use, but has a much more adjustable flame. Because of that, I find I use less fuel overall and get better performance when I'm cooking something beyond just needing to heat up some water.

The only downside to them is they start to struggle a bit once the temperature gets down to about 15*F or so, but if I warm it up in my coat pocket before hand it will work well enough to heat up a quick meal for myself.

#254016 - 11/29/12 12:50 PM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: ILBob]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks IL Bob! My kids and nephew are planning a survival weekend this summer. As a Christmas gift, I want to make them each a simple kit with some basics for that adventure. I was re-reading this thread last night and decided that esbit stoves will make a great addition.

Thanks all!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254029 - 11/29/12 06:13 PM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
It is time in invoke Hikermor's Law - "The more varied outdoors circumstances you experience, the more stoves you will acquire." Eventually you will possess the entire spectrum ...

Whew, that's a relief. I thought it was just me.

Now, when I "need" another stove (or better, an antique stove that requires extensive fettling), I have hard references to back me up. "Honey, I'm not a magpie. It's important to optmize my gear. It's Hikermor's Law, and he's a SAR guy who's done hundreds of searches in some crazy terrain. It has nothing to do with bright shiny coolness."

(I'm rehearsing, can't you tell?) grin

#254221 - 12/03/12 01:37 AM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I tried it out again today. About 8 ounces of water in the same steel cup. This time it was about 15 degrees warmer outside, less wind, and I made a lid for the cup with some heavy foil.

I broke one of the fuel tablets in half and lit it. The water was warming up but not close to hot enough when the first tablet started to be used up so I put a second one in.

It came close to boiling, I could see bubbles and steam when Wilma (my hiking buddy and favorite beagle girl) jumped up on the picnic table. You can imagine what happened.

Bob

#254238 - 12/03/12 08:01 AM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: ILBob]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i think sometimes we expect to much out of these sort of folding gizmos.the Esbit is not the only one.made to provide a GI,of sorts,some sort of means to heat a cup of water they are not going to be a real stove.warm water is better than nothing in a pinch.

#254242 - 12/03/12 12:28 PM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
One of the things I have noticed about virtually all backpacking and "survival" type cook sets is that they designed around boiling water. If you want to actually cook anything, they are not all that much help.

Actual cooking is a lot harder than boiling water.

Bob

#254270 - 12/04/12 01:16 AM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: ILBob]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
because cooking is hard you don't want to waste the time and energy in real survival,just a warm/hot pot of filling something that full of carbs is what you want.
fancy stuff like rat on a stick with cattail roots is hobo cooking.

#254290 - 12/04/12 01:29 PM Re: East German Esbit Type Stove [Re: dougwalkabout]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I have hard references to back me up. "Honey, I'm not a magpie. It's important to optmize my gear. It's Hikermor's Law, and he's a SAR guy who's done hundreds of searches in some crazy terrain. It has nothing to do with bright shiny coolness."

(I'm rehearsing, can't you tell?) grin

My wife said the sexiest thing to me today: " Mikey, wouldn't it be fun to buy a couple of new handguns?"

She is the best thing that ever happened to me, and by far my greatest survival asset.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.