Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#254295 - 12/04/12 03:55 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Pete Offline
Veteran

spuds - the advantage of a one-piece cane is that it will not collapse unexpectedly when you need it. you can go to the Cold Steel web site (www.coldsteel.com) and watch their product videos. They have demonstration videos for almost every product they sell. All their items can take a real pounding - they don't break after one or two hits. They've got canes with different weights - so you can choose which will work the best for you.

Pete2

#254299 - 12/04/12 06:41 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Yes Pete,looking at City Stick with stainless knob,saw those vids,thats a tough stick,so looking like one of those,still leaves one more to get.

Guess I will pass on the Liek.

BTW,is there any reason I would need the lighter stick short of wt when carrying?

#254305 - 12/05/12 01:23 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#254310 - 12/05/12 05:24 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: spuds
[quote=Nomad]Check out
http://www.canemasters.com
A cane is a very good defense tool that can be carried everywhere.

Nomad,what about this? We are looking for something for a fancy situation,all the rest as discussed,can you vouch to this?

/quote]
Nope. I prefer the standard hooked cane. Lots of reasons, camouflage being one of them. The hook is very useful against an adversary. There are a lot of ways to carry a weapon, but in your hand is the best. Nobody has ever questioned my cane. Of course I am 73, which probably helps.

Watch some of the YouTube videos to get an idea of technique. Simple stuff that is easy to practice.

I also have been badly beaten. It does change ones attitude about self protection. That said, I usually have a .380 in my pocket. However the pistol is not something to use in all circumstances. The cane provides a measured response.

#254311 - 12/05/12 06:14 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Pete Offline
Veteran

nomad ... good series of choices.

spuds ... the City Stick is a very nice looking "implement of destruction". HAHAHA! Looks fancier, and probably would work quite well as a cane for a well-dressed man. They do have a very light stick which came out recently (can't remember what it's called). The light stick would respond faster if you were in some sort of manic battle against a pack of Ninjas - HAHAHA! Just kidding ... lighter weapons travel faster and are capable weapons in the hands of people with a lot of training (speed and accuracy prevail over brute force). But the basic City Stick is a very good choice for dealing with all contingencies. I'd rather have a City Stick if dealing with a mean dog.

When you get these sticks I will tell you how to start your training and test them out.

cheers,
Pete2

#254313 - 12/05/12 06:57 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: Nomad]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nomad
[quote=spuds]Watch some of the YouTube videos to get an idea of technique. Simple stuff that is easy to practice.

Please do not do this. Inexperienced people cannot always judge what works and what doesn't. They also don't know how to train realistically *and* safely. Find a good instructor, please.

#254318 - 12/05/12 12:55 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Thanks,I will get back to you today,power outage has me buying some coleman parts and batteries right now.

#254320 - 12/05/12 01:42 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Spuds... if you hit the lottery... just for grins, look up one of the Chris Reeve walking sticks...made from blemished titanium hip replacement balls...

#254326 - 12/05/12 06:41 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Spuds... if you hit the lottery... just for grins, look up one of the Chris Reeve walking sticks...made from blemished titanium hip replacement balls...
Now that stick says something,something skeery for sure! Kinda hits me like displaying body parts on a cane.....

Probably NOT gray man cool ,TSA compliant,hahahaha.I can only imagine the looks!!! That is one seriously mean looking stick!

I'll get those sticks ordered tonight,get the regular cane you advise Nomad,thanks much,and a city stick.

#254333 - 12/06/12 02:15 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: Bingley]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: Nomad
[quote=spuds]Watch some of the YouTube videos to get an idea of technique. Simple stuff that is easy to practice.

Please do not do this. Inexperienced people cannot always judge what works and what doesn't. They also don't know how to train realistically *and* safely. Find a good instructor, please.

Sorry, I did not mean it as a training course, just to illustrate the concept. Of course good personal instruction is required. But the movements are simple and mostly do not require physical strength. Elders (like myself) and folks with disabilities can be very effective.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.