Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#254229 - 12/03/12 02:33 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
In California carrying a stick, golf club, baseball bat, knife, etc for use as a weapon can get you a felony charge. A concealed handgun, if it is registered, would be only
a misdemeanor in the same instance (assuming other laws are not broken).

IANAL, Know the laws where you live.

#254230 - 12/03/12 02:35 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: spuds

No victim,nope,not again.And get this,we werent unarmed either,we were dropped on.I dont walk a campground carrying a shotgun,I cant legal carry a concealed gun.

Most counties in CA are "may issue" if I'm not mistaken, so a carry permit is possible, even if not very likely. Depends where you live. Also, IIRC a campsite is considered your temporary residence so you may LOC (loaded open carry) at your campsite. Don't think this applies to state parks. Not sure about concealed carry in camp.

Of course I'm not encouraging you to carry firearms, just letting you know there are options you may not have considered.

#254231 - 12/03/12 02:43 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I am not an attorney, and I don't play one on the Internet. I strongly advice you one and all to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction if you plan to ever have or carry a weapon of any kind for self-defense.

Get training on any weapon you may own. Practice with it safely and regularly.

Pointing a gun at a human being is considered deadly force in all jurisdictions I know of. Don't point a gun at a person unless you are legally and morally able to do so. Never threaten anyone with a gun unless you are willing to shoot immediately.

#254236 - 12/03/12 04:38 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

We were robbery/kidnap victims,you know where that leads,murder victims. We got out ONLY because the younger of the 2 balked when he smartened up almost instantly and realized he wasnt cut out for that.The old guy was perfectly willing to take it to the extreme.

I'm rather perplexed, because you seem to change the situation you want to prepare for, and it seems you change the situation to argue against the advice people are trying to give you, just so that you can carry the stick like you wanted. Robber/potential murderer is not "guy with an attitude."

We can be more helpful to you if you spell out exactly what you're preparing for, and then stick to it. For the situation you describe, I'd recommend the most powerful weapon you can legally carry, and then get a lot of regular training with it, so you can actually respond to extreme force with extreme force. Arm your vehicles. With this level of threat, you're not talking about scaring them off anymore.

If you just want to have a fancy stick or maybe a "death-dealing" stick, there are probably forums where people know the products better.

#254239 - 12/03/12 09:23 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Bingley....OK,situations asked for and situations where it may be used were given. From low to high threat I see uses.

Take it or leave it,Im not here to argue why,Im doing it.I dont need to justify to your satisfaction WHY,nor 'stick to a level,etc'.I am getting a cane/stick, I am not being talked out of defending self and family, Im not here to be talked out of it,thank you very much.Thats not happening.

When youve faced the threat,BTDT,talk to me on the why fors,until then,what you think I NEED doesnt really matter,thats your take,not mine. So dont get mad when your advice isnt relevant to my situation.
=======================
Thank you all for models you carry.Most helpful.I see 2 choices Im most impressed by,that being the stick and the walking stick cane style,will get both.
=======================

No,they dont issue carry in SoCal,extremely rare,esp LA,Orange or San Berdo (per websites on carry),a few places in Northern state do routinely.Open carry has just been outlawed in state,at least most recent Ive seen on subject,if its been stopped let me know.Sounds like a risky proposition at best,I saw the thing on possession in state parks,not sure that means open carry......
switchblade case makes the idea sound a bit risky.And it certainly isnt legal in Rancho Cucamonga,San Berdo,Victorville,etc, the cane is,hence the thread,but thank you for the comment and taking time to reply,much appreciated for sure.

BTW,what do you think of the San Berdo BK,its gotten very scarey there,Staters/Cardenas and such have really beefed up the private guards,doubling and tripling presence.Trust me,get outta town by dusk,the criminal Gang Bang element just pours out and even waaaay more visible in daylight since BK,cops cut drastically.Its almost like an Armageddon movie.Welcome to Compton.

What is Open Carry?

Open Carry (OC) refers to the act of carrying a firearm in plain sight.

Is Open Carry Legal in California?

Open carry of loaded firearms has been illegal in California since Governor Reagan banned it back in 1968. With the recent passage and signing of AB 144 by Governor Brown, Open Carry of unloaded handguns is no longer legal in most of California effective Jan 1, 2012. As such, most of this FAQ was obsolete and has been deleted.

Is it true that carrying both a gun and ammo is legally considered loaded?

No. If one carries a firearm with the intent to commit a felony, then it is true. But for the typical law-abiding gun-owner, it is not true. PC 12031 and People v. Clark are all that apply. For more information on the topic, read Defining Loaded in California.

Where can I legally Open Carry?

Loaded Open Carry is legal in your home, temporary residence or campsite (unless otherwise prohibited), place of business, private property, and in areas of unincorporated territory where shooting is not prohibited, including most areas within National Forest and BLM lands.

With AB 144 becoming law, Unloaded Open Carry of handguns is now illegal except where loaded open carry is legal, and also in public lands (National Forests, BLM, etc.) where firearms are permitted.

====================
I am not an attorney, and I don't play one on the Internet. I strongly advice you one and all to consult an attorney in your jurisdiction if you plan to ever have or carry a weapon of any kind for self-defense.

Get training on any weapon you may own. Practice with it safely and regularly.

Pointing a gun at a human being is considered deadly force in all jurisdictions I know of. Don't point a gun at a person unless you are legally and morally able to do so. Never threaten anyone with a gun unless you are willing to shoot immediately.

----------
YUP! I will add to not point a gun unless you are prepared to go straight to jail here,including putting a laser sight on someone here is straight to jail.

#254240 - 12/03/12 10:43 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Bingley....OK,situations asked for and situations where it may be used were given. From low to high threat I see uses.

Take it or leave it,Im not here to argue why,Im doing it.I dont need to justify to your satisfaction WHY,nor 'stick to a level,etc'.I am getting a cane/stick, I am not being talked out of defending self and family, Im not here to be talked out of it,thank you very much.Thats not happening.

When youve faced the threat,BTDT,talk to me on the why fors,until then,what you think I NEED doesnt really matter,thats your take,not mine. So dont get mad when your advice isnt relevant to my situation.

What makes you think that other people here haven't faced similar or worse situations?

Let me be blunt, because I am trying to help you. I don't want you to get hurt, and I can't help if I mince words. Even with a stick, you are still easy prey. I think you want to carry the stick for psychological reassurance, not for actual use. If you are really worried about serious threat to life and limb, about fighting for your life, you'd be training very hard. You're likely to face armed enemies, and you'd need every advantage possible. And then you'll get, like, a 2% chance of survival. With a stick and no training? We're looking at 0%. You don't know how to fight, and getting a stick isn't going to change that. Training is always more important than equipment.

Besides, the weapon you choose depends on your training. There are lots of "combat knives." Many proven styles of knife fighting would not use any of them, because their design is wrong for what they do. There are lots of "fighting sticks." Which one is suitable? The short, light rattan ones? The heavy six-footer? The one weighted on one end? The crooked one with what looks like a hook? That depends on your training, and you have none.

Maybe you are not facing a real threat. I hope that's the case. I hope you're just scared for no good reason. The right mindset goes a lot further than a stick, and you don't have it.

I hope this wakes you up. Take care of yourself. Be safe.

Edited by Bingley (12/03/12 10:52 AM)

#254244 - 12/03/12 02:10 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

For after-dark dog walks in DC lately, I've been carrying a Leki walking staff. I do so with two threats in mind: punks and loose dogs.

My dog is the best mugger deterrent so the staff is more likely to be deployed to protect her from a dog loose in the park or that gets away from its owner on a sidewalk.

If a mugger is not deterred by my dog and makes an aggressive move toward her, I will not give a rat's [blank] about theoretical legal jeopardy. You can hardly spit around here without hitting a lawyer and I'll have no trouble finding a good one to defend myself or counter-sue.

I "brandish" this "weapon" every night in my fairly heavily-patrolled neighborhood. And if I'm standing around talking to someone - such as a police officer - it is comfortable to lean on and people just assume I've a bum knee or ankle.

Over a decade ago, I was attacked on a dark November evening while walking home from work. It was an attempted smash-and-grab but I heard him approaching in time (and turned to see his black neoprene ski mask) to brace myself. I held on to my purse, yelled for help and he was chased down the street.

Unarmed smash-and-grab is the primary mugging m.o. in my neighborhood. If someone points a gun at me, they are welcome to my purse or i-Phone (the #1 target of muggers here these days).

http://www.rei.com/product/830442/leki-wanderfreund-antishock-walking-staff

This Leki staff is essentially a collapsible cane -- perfectly legal and something I have a history of using for hiking and when I've had a knee injury.

#254247 - 12/03/12 03:54 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Over a decade ago, I was attacked on a dark November evening while walking home from work.
========================

10-4 Dagney,with you 100%.Only takes once to make a believer outta ya.For others,it only takes open eyes.

I like that one,very gray man for the the gray man.With the surgical scars to back up the use,yup,love it.

Anybody know if collapsible cane illegal in Calif? I cant see where it is...then again that cane is more an adjustable length?

Only problem Im having is in choice,there are all kinds of nice options.Looks like its like trying to buy electronics,at a point you overload.

Im just going to have to make a decision before I get shopping fatigue,thinking I want a plastic or metal,and I really like Les's walking stick.
============================
CALIFORNIA
- Tracer Ammunition
- Lock Pick Sets
- Night Vision Scope
- Undetectable Knives
- Cane Swords
- Throwing Stars/Shuriken
- Blow Guns
- Pepper Spray over 2.5oz.
- Airsoft
- Fuel Cans
- Baton
- Nightsticks
- Billy Clubs
- Blackjacks
- Metal Knuckles
- Slaps
- Spring-Assisted Knives
- Daggers
- Practice or Metal Replica Grenades
- Multi-Burst Trigger Activator
- Magazines over 10 rounds
- Folding Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Thumbhole Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Telescoping Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Protruding Pistol Grip on Rifles and Semi-Auto Shotguns
- Flash Suppressor/Hider and Muzzle Brakes
- Forward pistol grip
- Grenade or Flare Launcher
- Detachable SKS magazines

#254248 - 12/03/12 04:54 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado

============================
CALIFORNIA
- Tracer Ammunition
- Lock Pick Sets
- Night Vision Scope
- Undetectable Knives
- Cane Swords
- Throwing Stars/Shuriken
- Blow Guns
- Pepper Spray over 2.5oz.
- Airsoft
- Fuel Cans
- Baton
- Nightsticks
- Billy Clubs
- Blackjacks
- Metal Knuckles
- Slaps
- Spring-Assisted Knives
- Daggers
- Practice or Metal Replica Grenades
- Multi-Burst Trigger Activator
- Magazines over 10 rounds
- Folding Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Thumbhole Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Telescoping Rifle and Semi-Auto Shotgun stocks
- Protruding Pistol Grip on Rifles and Semi-Auto Shotguns
- Flash Suppressor/Hider and Muzzle Brakes
- Forward pistol grip
- Grenade or Flare Launcher
- Detachable SKS magazines

I assume those are the things that are banned in California? Holy Smoley! You better buy that stick pretty soon, before they get banned too. A stick seems like about your ONLY option at present. Given that sad state of affairs, yeah, get yourself a stick and do what you can with it. I would also suggest traveling in large groups, and get everybody a stick. That's about all you can do at this point. I knew California was bad, but I didn't know it had gotten THAT bad. Wow. You really don't have any options. I would be worried that your stick might fall into the currently banned category of "baton" or "billy club" however.

#254251 - 12/03/12 05:16 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Heck yeah Heartig,let me put in the states link,its crazy what you cant do! But if its legal,we go there,you betcha,they havent got around to attacking archery yet,and slingshots and air guns actually banned in a few jurisdictions,crazy!

I definitely want to stay on the legal side of the law.

http://www.outdoorbunker.com/v/restrictions.htm

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.