Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#254123 - 12/01/12 06:59 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm worried for you, Spuds. Jerk with an attitude can quickly turn into jerk with a lawyer. I'd urge you get familiar with the self-defense law of your state/locality.

A stick can kill. I wouldn't use a stick to defend myself unless I am convinced that I might receive grievous bodily harm. In other words, if I will use a stick, I will use a gun. If not, I will do everything I can to get out of there. A hurt ego is better than a mountain of attorney bills or a prison sentence. Everyone I know (indirectly) who defended himself in what most would consider legitimate self-defense situations ended up in jail. Think about the consequences.

Secondly, you need training, even if you think "oh, I'll just scare him off." Usually people who carry visible weapons for deterrent value can't pull it off, because they don't project the right mindset. Predators will see that for what it is. Training will help you with the mindset. And if push comes to shove, you'll have some skills to back up your intent. No, you don't have to become a stickfighting master (I assume that's what you mean by Bruce Lee), but you'd be surprised how much training it takes to be effective.

I wouldn't recommend a stick for you yet.

It seems like you are thinking of a particular situation -- some guy's dog is bothering you? Are there other ways to solve this problem?

#254133 - 12/01/12 03:41 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I carry a 1LB(?), 6"Lx1"D walking stick that was a tap root. Tap roots are very hard wood.

1 friend uses a cane made of 1/4" piping with the handle curved over like a Shepherd's Staff.

I bought a friend a 5'Lx1 1/2"D walking stick.

Both friends use their cane/staff to protect themselves from dogs while on their neighborhood walks.

#254147 - 12/01/12 10:04 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Pete Offline
Veteran

spuds ... thanks for the link on the unbreakable umbrella. pretty interesting. it's not cheap - but I might look into it.

a stick is particularly useful for defense against animals ... mean dogs, stray critters that look sick or rabid.

a walking cane is unlikely to attract much attention from the police. there are rattan canes on the market - I just don't happen to own one so I can't swear as to how strong they are.

cheers,
Pete2

#254148 - 12/01/12 10:18 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: spuds
Heartig,Im not looking for deadly force (thats another thread and situation),Im looking for deterrent value,and a good whack if that fails.

Just be aware, that if whack someone with a stick, then YOU have just deployed a weapon that is considered lethal force (whether or not you killed him). Your assailant would be justified in using lethal force back against you (in the eyes of the law, assuming he would claim self defense, which any smart criminal certainly would, true or not).

Situation: He comes up to you and demands your wallet. You respond by whacking him with your stick. He pulls out his gun and shoots you dead. He tells the police that he stopped to ask you the time and you began beating him for no reason, so he responded in self defense. You, of course, can't counter his account of what happened, because you are dead.

Don't think it doesn't or can't happen. Just a month ago my wife and I attended a course taught by a self defense / shooting defense lawyer. Real world legal cases were discussed. We covered all kinds of scenarios like the above example - discussing what would happen if you responded with your fists, a gun, or whatever. And what laws you'd have to watch out for - Murder, Manslaughter, Negligence, Assault (lots of different degress of that), Menacing, Brandishing (actually, there is no law about brandishing here in Colorado, but we discussed it relative to other states), etc.

We also discussed, "What it you are found innocent of <whatever> charge in court later?" Then eventually you will be free. You will have lost a lot of time. And you will have put out about $150,000 for a defense lawyer, court costs, etc. That's for criminal charges, if you were found innocent. A civil suit filed against you would be additional expense. And you'd be surrised to learn how many ways YOU could be considered the criminal when deploying any kind of weapon, be that a gun or a stick.

Bottom line: You better be the victor in a battle, you better call the police to report the incident before your assailant does, and you better keep your mouth shut, ... tightly.

I would recommend at least doing significant research, if not attending a class by a self defense attorney (if you can find one), before thinking "Well, I can just bash him with my stick - no harm in that."

#254150 - 12/01/12 10:29 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: Bingley]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm worried for you, Spuds. Jerk with an attitude can quickly turn into jerk with a lawyer. I'd urge you get familiar with the self-defense law of your state/locality.

Bingly,thank you for your concern.

Im big on avoiding confrontation.

Most jerks with an attitude,overly aggressive panhandlers and 4 legged varmints will quickly adjust attitude when they see you are prepared and capable of upping the ante,esp when it comes as a total surprise,puts their plans right out the window.Most arent the brightest bulbs out there,hence their situation in life. Most people are still rational enough to know there are easier targets and its not a hill to die on.

Most low level criminals are not Rambo,they are opportunistic cowards.Drug addicts,cockroaches that crawl out at dusk,that is the situation we sometimes find ourselves in... in situations as innocuous as walking to vehicle after shopping.

But if someone thinks they can assault without risk,they will.

Its for the lower threat deterrent Im looking for,and this will provide that as opposed to totally unarmed.

Just a part of escalating defensive measures,start small and work up the ladder,Im big on layered defensive actions.Options,and several of them is how we run our lives here.

Im prepared for getting out of dodge to fighting for life and have tools for each level,just another tool depending on what the situation dictates.

To fight is always last choice,but to be a victim totally defenseless is not an option.BTDT,its no longer an option I will entertain.
=========================

Originally Posted By: haertig
[quote=spuds] before thinking "Well, I can just bash him with my stick - no harm in that."
Nobody thinks that.

Victim,not happening to me,end of discussion,not happening,I have a wife and life to protect,and will.If I go down it will be fighting,not cowering begging for my life.

#254152 - 12/01/12 11:28 PM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I was not saying you were thinking like that, it was intended to be a generic comment. My point being, if one is going to deploy something that is a lethal weapon in the eyes of the law, might as well deploy one that is most useful. A gun beats a stick, even though in the eyes of the law they are the same (when used as a weapon). But where you live does not allow you the better defensive option, so it's a moot point.

#254153 - 12/02/12 12:47 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
lastchild Offline
Stranger

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Just remember that if you have to use it, keep hitting until there's only one side of the story wink

BTW, an Irish Blackthorn is a nice choice...

#254157 - 12/02/12 02:08 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Pete Offline
Veteran

One important aspect of deterence is your overall confidence with any weapon you carry. if you really look like you know what you're doing and you've got the potential to inflict serious harm - most criminals are not going to go for it. I agree with the idea that they are generally looking for an "easy mark".

#254158 - 12/02/12 02:09 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
LED Offline
Veteran

You may be better of with a taser. Those are legal and my be carried concealed in CA.

#254160 - 12/02/12 03:22 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Check out

http://www.canemasters.com

A cane is a very good defense tool that can be carried everywhere.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.