The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#253365 - 11/14/12 07:22 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: Denis]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have bought several slingshots from Perry (owner of A+ Slingshots). They are top-notch items. He is a great guy in all the email and forum correspondance I've had with him too. You can buy without hesitation from Perry.

#253371 - 11/14/12 09:29 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: haertig]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: haertig
I have bought several slings shots from Perry (owner of A+ Slingshots). They are top-notch items. He is a great guy in all the email and forum correspondance I've had with him too. You can buy without hesitation from Perry.
Thanks,bookmarked it,looks like real quality.

#253377 - 11/14/12 11:21 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
If one is interested in sling shots,they need to GOOGLE Madison Parker.He is a former Navy SEAL and teaches a survival school in Florida.He hunts any thing up to deer size with slingshot.He hosts pheasant hunts for slingshots only.You should also check out the Slingshot Channel on Youtube.It is hosted by a,Joerg Sprave.You will laugh at his machete shooting sling shot.....

BOATMAN
John

#253378 - 11/14/12 11:39 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, that dude is a hoot! I saw his slingshot-machette video a couple years ago. He's definitely a sling shot ninja!

I've also done some research on sling shot bows. Some of them are pretty comparable to a recurve! Of course, in a survival situation if you had room to take a slingshot set up as such and a bunch of arrow, you probably could have had room for something even more useful...like a PLB! laugh wink

Still, I don't mean to knock the sling shot. Perhaps I should pick one up and seriously try to learn to shoot it well. How many shots should one expect before changing the power band? Ammo is relatively compact and light, and while having real ball bearings or lead shot is going to be the best, improvised ammo would be easy to come by in the field.

#253381 - 11/15/12 05:08 AM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Still, I don't mean to knock the sling shot. Perhaps I should pick one up and seriously try to learn to shoot it well.

It's always good to at least handle what you're going to pooh-pooh before pooh-poohing it. smile

Quote:
How many shots should one expect before changing the power band?

Depends. Usually I get several hundred shots. With some bands, even more. Flatbands don't last as long as tubulars, but I enjoy shooting the flatbands more. Tubulars for Dankung style slingshots last a long time. I've probably got a thousand shots on some of those bandsets, and they're still going (but these high shot count bandsets are lightweight target bands shooting light ammo, not heavy duty hunting bands shooting lead).

Keep the bands stored in dark containers away from sunlight and they will last far longer. UV really destroys rubber.

#253383 - 11/15/12 07:51 AM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hey, I'm not pooh pooing your toy! grin And I actually have a fair bit of time using the "wrist rocket" as we used to call it. I was fair with it but pretty much quit messing with it in favor of focusing on practicing with my firearms.

Maybe I'll have to pick one up again. Ironically it's probably going to be easier to find a good place to shoot the guns!

#253391 - 11/15/12 04:11 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Maybe I'll have to pick one up again.

Try something other than a Wrist Rocket (or any "braced" style for that matter). Other types are so much smaller, more accurate, and easier to shoot (in my experience). I now shun my old braced slingshots. They are just no fun, can't hit much with them, and their bands are horrible in both "feel" and longetivity.

Here's a good start:

http://www.trulytexas.com/wusa6.html

Here is my favorite (of this "Dankung style" slingshot):

http://www.trulytexas.com/bpth.html

But this "Palm Thunder" model above is VERY small. You will probably like these ultra-smalls after you have become proficient with a slingshot. If you haven't shot this Dankung type of slingshot before, you might do better starting out with a larger model like the Jungle Hunter II. You do not hold them like you might think (like a hammer). You hold them with your fingers high up on the forks, like this:

http://www.dankung.com/dk/images/XIE.JPG

This grip takes the strain off your wrist and gives you more power and accuracy.

You can buy these same slingshots, and many other variations, direct from the manufacturer in China for little more than half the price of buying in the US. You just have to wait about two weeks for your slingshot to be delivered (assuming you choose the cheap shipping option, which is ridiculously cheap at about $2, at least the last time I ordered it was that cheap). Don't let "China" bother you. These are extremely well made slingshots. Some Chinese places, and eBay, sell knock-offs made of cheap metal that can break and be dangerous. This Dankung website is a reputable place that uses stainless steel in their slingshots, not chrome plated pot metal like the knock-offs.

Here is a link to that Palm Thunder slingshot, except direct from the Chinese manufacturer rather than from their USA importer TrulyTexas:

http://www.dankung.com/emart/black-palm-thunderusa-p-342.html

Much cheaper!

#253551 - 11/19/12 07:15 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

A sling shot is a fine piece of survival gear, I have one. But when it comes to securing meat...I will take 3 or 4 Rat traps and a little Peanut butter, everyday ending in Y. (In the Eastern woodlands region anyway)

#253698 - 11/22/12 07:20 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I practice with a slingshot and take it with me in my car bag. Don't carry it in a pack, nor have I ever killed an animal with it. Mostly just target practice with store bought sligshot pellets and to see what rocks on the ground will do if I ever ran out.

#254139 - 12/01/12 05:38 PM Re: slingshot a good survival item? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I guess I'd have to "work up" to 40lb... OR if they had different band draws..
I'm currently on 20lb draw on my recurse bow.. (Started about a month ago)

The one thing about chief aj.. It "seems" they ship only to usa. Maybe there's a canadian supplier, or if I emailed them they might be willing...

I stumbled by the dankung website the other night, not sure how, I definitely need to look into a slingshot /w some ammo. Worse case is I'm a terrible shot, and I'm out $40. It doesn't have to be anything besides a "backup"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.