Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#254090 - 11/30/12 10:13 PM Cane,walking stick for defense,any users?
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I'd be interested in hearing what Folks are using as a defensive stick,cane etc. Length,material,weight and 'carriability' if such a word.

I want strong,carry a wallop,and not look out of place in any setting for the most part (Gray Man).Heck,even usable as a support device (cane) wouldnt hurt.

All thoughts on it welcomed.

Couple things Ive seen are like these....
------------

#254105 - 12/01/12 01:19 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Unless you're some kind of trained/experienced stick fighting martial artist, I would expect that the average "mature person" would have their cane quickly taken away from them and then they'd be beaten silly with it by a younger attacker.

An olderperson is not going to do well against a younger, stronger, more physically fit assailant even if they have something like a stick, or a knife, or pepper spray, or a stun gun. Face it - it sucks to get old.

If you are worried about being attacked, get a gun. Get advice on what to get by firearms knowledgeable friends. Get training on how to use it. Practice. With appropriate training and practice, even those advanced in years can be better equipped and have the upper edge over their assailant if they have a gun and know how to use it. No other weapon will give you this ability.

If you can't have a gun, either because where you live forbids it or you have some personal objection to it, just be resigned to losing the fight and being injured or dieing if you are attacked. Old folks don't beat up young punks, especially a gang of them, except in the movies.

#254106 - 12/01/12 01:42 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'll take my chances with one of the laminated Boyd's walking sticks... if you live where rattan furniture is made, you might see if you can get a 50" piece of rattan... most of the escrima/kali Filipino martial arts sticks are short...when I walk at night, feral or aggressive dogs are more likely a problem, but I think I could break a tib/fib with mine....it's pretty hard to grab that low...

#254108 - 12/01/12 02:27 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The SAS Brolly can be quite handy. grin

#254109 - 12/01/12 02:36 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I use sticks for defense all the time ... esp. when overseas in rough neighborhoods. I would recommend that you get some training - but basic use of the stick is not complicated. The canes are also quite effective.

Thee's nothing wrong with getting yourself a long piece of rattan. it's what we use for stick fighting, and comes in a wide variety of lengths. Go onto the following Web site, and send the guy there (Nick) a quick email telling him what you want. Tell him Pete sent you. He's got rattan in just about every conceivable length and diameter (a lot more choices than what he's showing on the Web site). Something that's about 4-feet and about 1-1/4 inch diam should be fine for your purposes (dont get it too thick or it will be heavy).

I'd like to find that SAS umbrella ... but the last link from "Am Fear" was just a video. If there is such a thing as a durable UK umbrella - someone please post. Most modern umbrellas are just garbage and will fall apart after a couple of knocks - it's a sad commentary on the descent of the British Empire :-)

www.bloodsport.com

HAHAHA!!
Pete2

Edited by Pete (12/01/12 02:40 AM)

#254110 - 12/01/12 02:38 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have employed a variety of walking sticks over the years - everything from sticks picked up along the trail to elaborate collapsible ski-type poles (fairly pricey). They are versatile, useful in all kinds of terrain and in many diverse situations. I have had a little training with batons and their potential for use in self defense, or even attack, is pretty obvious, depending upon what type you are carrying.

Want sturdy and stout? - get a replacement shovel handle from the hardware store, put a loop on the end, and you have a handy tool - quite adequate as a weapon and for other purposes.

Want cheap? Find a natural piece of wood of the right thickness and heft, modify it a bit and you will be in business. One of these was my very favorite until I lost it last year.

Want high tech and versatile? Spend $40 or up for a collapsible walking stick - brands include Leki or Komperdell, among others, and you will have a very nice tool that stows away easily, makes a nice tent pole, and is very useful for detecting snakes, moving brush, or as a camera monopod. Can be used for defense, of course, although it is a bit light.

Remember - jab, don't swing......

#254111 - 12/01/12 02:41 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

What kind of environment will the user be in? A defensive weapon is something you have to carry on your body all the time, or you'll get assaulted on the day you decide to leave it home.

Also, with something like that, training is paramount. If you can find a good instructor, plan on 3-5 years before becoming effective for non-lethal encounters -- *if* you can get that good. After that level, you still have to be in regular training to keep your skills. If you're planning to fight a guy with a gun... Well, don't bring a stick to a gun fight.

You'll probably want to look into the law in your area to find out whether you can carry a stick around.

#254119 - 12/01/12 05:50 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: haertig]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig

If you are worried about being attacked, get a gun. Get advice on what to get by firearms knowledgeable friends. just be resigned to losing the fight and being injured or dieing if you are attacked. Old folks don't beat up young punks, especially a gang of them, except in the movies.

Heartig,Im not looking for deadly force (thats another thread and situation),Im looking for deterrent value,and a good whack if that fails.Be it just one across the face/head,forearm,knee,it beats none.

For example...Im not going to shoot some jerk at the dogpark,or his idiot out of control dog.

I cant carry a gun here,nobody but LEO can.Legally,and as things stand now Im not about to go beyond legal.

Nor do I feel the need to be Bruce Lee,thats not what I intend.If thats the situation,Im going 'Bang Bang' in a life threatening situation.But that has to be truly life or death,not a jerk with an attitude.

That said,I think I can whack somebody just fine,including whacking a dog thats looking for or taking a bite on me or mine.Im not feeble or elderly.

Ive seen plenty people wield a bat in literature,but you cant be walking around with a bat either.Even a problem having one in the vehicle.

Bottom line,I'd prefer a club to not having a club,thats the plan.And having one that has a utilitarian perfectly legal use that MIGHT be used in a defensive manner.

Keep em coming,I like the idea of laminate.

As for the umbrella,if it was wetter here I could see the expense.....
---------------------------------------
The Unbreakable® Walking-Stick Umbrella

http://real-self-defense.com/unbreakable-umbrella/

#254120 - 12/01/12 05:56 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: Pete]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Pete
I use sticks for defense all the time ... esp. when overseas in rough neighborhoods. I would recommend that you get some training - but basic use of the stick is not complicated. The canes are also quite effective.

EXACTLY....Just what Im thinking Pete.
=========================

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
when I walk at night, feral or aggressive dogs are more likely a problem, but I think I could break a tib/fib with mine....it's pretty hard to grab that low...
Agreed yet again.

=========================

Originally Posted By: Bingley
What kind of environment will the user be in? A defensive weapon is something you have to carry on your body all the time, or you'll get assaulted on the day you decide to leave it home.
Agree yet again,the environment for using this is key to the effectiveness for the situation.

#254122 - 12/01/12 06:40 AM Re: Cane,walking stick for defense,any users? [Re: spuds]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I might carry a 9-iron or pitching wedge while taking a walk with my dog, and a golf ball in my pocket because it's fun to practice a bit at the park. I have no intention of using the club as a weapon...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.