Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#254104 - 12/01/12 12:48 AM Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon or perhaps Bushcrafters with Groceries, might be a more appropriate title. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AEKGa8yJA

#254144 - 12/01/12 08:09 PM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Like how they arent protrayed as whackos.

Like the Slovakians' walking stick.

The riot footage....it happens and is happening.

The difference between countries (air guns)

Very interesting,but if it happens,good luck to any of us.

#254173 - 12/02/12 01:28 PM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I liked that. Thanks. They (the preppers and producers) seem to take a much more rational approach than the US version, Doomsday Preppers, which comes off as tin foil hattery far too often for my liking. This show actually didn't show the preppers as nutters, what a novel idea!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254184 - 12/02/12 03:32 PM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: bacpacjac]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
"tin foil hattery" smile What a great term of endearment.

I actively avoid these prepper shows so as not to give myself a complex wink If I go on I'll be edited for political content. But it's not politics, just look around with eyes wide open and take it at face value -- then extrapolate to the next stage. Where can we go from here? How much worse can we get?

Worse. Your preparation complex is only crazy until events prove it's not crazy. Meantime, I'll skip the show and hope things don't blow up too soon.

#254188 - 12/02/12 04:35 PM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Not as bad as I expected but why were some of the food labels 'fuzzed' out but not all?

#254203 - 12/02/12 07:28 PM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Ah so a US thing then. I was intrigued that Mountain House was fuzzed out in some shots but not others. I thought it might be to make out that it was for 'insiders only' to know and raise the 'mystical' level of the show.

#254227 - 12/03/12 02:13 AM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: bacpacjac]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I liked that. Thanks. They (the preppers and producers) seem to take a much more rational approach than the US version, Doomsday Preppers, which comes off as tin foil hattery far too often for my liking. This show actually didn't show the preppers as nutters, what a novel idea!

I thought the same thing. Much better than the doomsday show IMO.

#254228 - 12/03/12 02:14 AM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Is this going to be a series? I sure liked it a lot more than the nonsense show we have here.

#254277 - 12/04/12 03:02 AM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: spuds]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Is this going to be a series? I sure liked it a lot more than the nonsense show we have here.

I think it was just a single episode as preppers are pretty thin of the ground in the UK.

The Preppers UK; Surviving Armageddon episode, does show some interesting characteristics though, it seemed to be interested in the aspect of hunting and foraging, camouflage clothing and the so called Weapon collections including knives, cross bows and Air guns etc simply by the fact that more 'normal' popular pursuits in the UK such fishing and gardening were pretty much ignored. Again processing wild game was seen as edgy TV simply because the vast majority in the UK collect their meat in plastic wrappers from the Supermarket.

Even with an air rifle in the UK you have to be careful of people observing its carry even out in the countryside or Wilderness. Folks will call armed response police simply because of the perceived threat due to their engagement within the electronic matrix. Air rifles are also excellent for shooting practice as well. When I was a lad, moving from an air rifle to a Lee Enfield .22 to an Enfield .303 was quite rapid. i.e. the 900m range was in use after probably after only firing 40-50 rounds of .303

Doomsday Preppers seems to have taken things to the extreme, from the threat assessments to the solutions to mitigate what is actually a low probability threat in reality, at the expense of normal everyday living. But the TV program is still interesting as I still can't quite work out whether the wackiness is actually due to the folks involved or just the program format, which encourages the wackiness. crazy It should be said though at least many of them have some sort of planning and preparation. In that respect they are ahead of the curve compared to the vast majority.

So I think its best to keep things in perspective, balance the prepping with other training and skills based pursuits and hobbies, which you enjoy whether it is Scuba diving, fishing, golf, bushcrafting, competitive shooting, cycling, wild camping etc with other outdoor pursuits. It sure beats being a couch potato watching the TV 'survivalist' fantasy vicarious thrill shows. wink

#254286 - 12/04/12 11:17 AM Re: Preppers UK: Surviving Armageddon. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
K9medic Offline
Stranger

Loc: UK
Think this was a one of show to test the water, but with the option of more if it was well received.

Edward, the bloke who lives in Slovakia, is a member of another forum I’m on, has been having problems with newspapers just grabbing information from the shows trailer and “constructing” stories around this.

Not sure how many people will want to take part in other episodes after hearing this, though there is a rumour that there is enough unshown footage as well as people who didn’t make it into the first show to make more.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.