The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#253811 - 11/25/12 02:25 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What she said. I like car kits because they can carry enough to be useful in any scenario.

I gave up on the pocket size Altoids type kit and decided that my pockets were more suited to minimal EDC user stuff outside a kit. The Altoids kit will be left behind. A serious purse kit would work, but then the purse needs to go everywhere. At least it's useful.

A Continuum of Kits:
Car kit -- big and multiple applications. Available on the road (see Dagny's post)
Desk kit -- not so big but focused on office emergencies.
Purse kit -- smaller, designed to get you back to a serious kit or just to evacuate.
Pocket carry -- User stuff, if you don't at least occasionally see it being useful, it will be left behind.

Note: My EDC backpack functions as my "purse". Lots of good stuff for short term emergencies & egress and it's also a gym bag, but it cannot replace a larger kit such as the 96 hour kit in my truck. Since I have no office per se I skip from Truck Kit to EDC backpack then pocket carry. There's no one size fits all, your daughter needs to commit or all the kits will not help.

#253837 - 11/26/12 02:44 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
If it's not on your person, it is not EDC:
Streamlight Stylus in my shirt pocket,
Whistle on my keychain,
Bandanna in my pocket (not a mask, but better than nothing,
Cliphanger on my cellphone, clipped to my beltloop,
along with some other things that might not be specific to this instance: knife, etc.

Usual disclaimers for Streamlight and Cliphanger: I am only a customer.

#253844 - 11/26/12 01:23 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Whether wearing jeans or a tuxedo, men are able to take for granted such EDC-friendly features as pockets and a belt.

Women cannot. Dresses and women's suits typically have no pockets, no belt and nowhere to stash anything. Shirt pocket - ha - not in women's attire. The only shirts I have with useful pockets are designed for safaris - not wearing those to work.

Nice pants might have small or tiny pockets, not appropriate for cramming things in -- especially not in summer when wearing linens or light cotton. Our coats also tend to not have as many pockets as men's coats.

Women do have the advantage of purses. Whether one can have it with them every second in the workplace obviously depends on your job.

The original poster hasn't said what exactly his daughter does so that we'd have a clue as to her attire.

If this thread were about a son then we could assume that no matter the workplace dress code, he'd have pockets and option of a belt for carrying EDC items.

#253851 - 11/26/12 03:51 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Bingley]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I realize this is a family-oriented forum, but there is no getting around the fact that the explosion happened in a strip club. When you go to a strip club, either as a customer or as a worker, do you really think about taking a hardhat, a respirator, etc. with you???

First, there were other businesses in the complex occupied by the club (IIRC, it was a strip mall-type affair, right?)

Second, in a strip club, there's probably some other PPE you'd need (or want). Most of you can get the pun, without me sullying the forum with details.

#253909 - 11/27/12 05:29 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Dagny]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Whether wearing jeans or a tuxedo, men are able to take for granted such EDC-friendly features as pockets and a belt.

Women cannot. Dresses and women's suits typically have no pockets, no belt and nowhere to stash anything. Shirt pocket - ha - not in women's attire. The only shirts I have with useful pockets are designed for safaris - not wearing those to work.

Nice pants might have small or tiny pockets, not appropriate for cramming things in -- especially not in summer when wearing linens or light cotton. Our coats also tend to not have as many pockets as men's coats.

Women do have the advantage of purses. Whether one can have it with them every second in the workplace obviously depends on your job.

The original poster hasn't said what exactly his daughter does so that we'd have a clue as to her attire.

If this thread were about a son then we could assume that no matter the workplace dress code, he'd have pockets and option of a belt for carrying EDC items.

Bingo. The whole EDC thing is a lot easier if you actually have functional pockets, which a lot of our clothes don't, or at least a lot of the work appropriate or dressier ones (though a pair of jeans I recently bought has pockets that are a joke, and they're not skinnies either, so even casual clothes have this problem). As far as shirt pockets in women's attire, you did forget to mention one thing...even the shirts that do have pockets, often have them in a very inopportune spot (see this example: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gramicci-wilderosa-shirt-long-sleeve-for-women~p~3929g/, and this one is from a company that is generally pretty good about making things that are functional but they still gave us these silly pockets that we can't really use without looking and feeling ridiculous!). Women's shirt pockets should be down near the hip area like they are on a lot of scrub tops...then we could actually use them. Purses are great for being able to carry quite a bit around town without looking out of place, but it's not possible or practical to keep them on our person at all times at work etc.

#253911 - 11/27/12 05:36 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I realize this is a family-oriented forum, but there is no getting around the fact that the explosion happened in a strip club. When you go to a strip club, either as a customer or as a worker, do you really think about taking a hardhat, a respirator, etc. with you???

maybe the strippers should start wearing such things as part of their costuming. smile

Bob

#253918 - 11/27/12 06:00 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: UncleGoo]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
If it's not on your person, it is not EDC:
This group of Patrons look prepared.... laugh

#253926 - 11/27/12 09:06 PM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
the fact that the explosion took place in an "adult entertainment center" is a little beside the major point - what can you carry very inconspicuously to enable you to function in a sudden emergency in the workplace?

I would agree that the contents of an Altoid tin won't work very well in such a situation. About the best one can do is well chosen EDC items distributed about the body. Depending upon the work environment, this might be very difficult (no wise comments about strip joints, please).

I usually carry a small briefcase/backpack that will augment my EDC very nicely - a couple of Clif bars, FAK, CPR kit, small jacket, etc. We experienced an earthquake a while ago in my office and an evacuation of the building was ordered. At that time, I was about 100 feet from my briefcase; I was fortunately able to retrieve my bag before venturing off into the great unknown. The lesson for me is that it is fine to have a bag with carefully selected goodies but it can easily come down to working with simply what you are carrying on your bod.... which may not be much more than cellphone, key ring, pen and notebook, and maybe a multi-tool or knife.

#253933 - 11/28/12 04:45 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would agree that the contents of an Altoid tin won't work very well in such a situation. About the best one can do is well chosen EDC items distributed about the body. Depending upon the work environment, this might be very difficult (no wise comments about strip joints, please).

Even the dancers, no matter what they may be wearing, carry a small purse with them for the cash they earn. So the non-dancing workers, the male & female customers, etc. have no excuse not to have something on them -- in the pockets, in a purse, in a separate bag, etc.

I do think that we have to consider whether an explosion or a building collapse is something that we should have a kit for on our body. In those situations, you may not be able to make it to the briefcase in your office (or the equivalent -- the makeup room in the club). But stuff like a hard hat or a respirator are too big to have with you all the time, and most civilians like me probably would do the risk vs. inconvenience calculation and decide: nah, I'd take the risk and go with the general purpose kit.

#253935 - 11/28/12 07:21 AM Re: Explosion in massachusetts [Re: reconcowboy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
What's the obsession with the strip club? It's irrelevant.

From the AP article:
The explosion in a downtown area of Springfield, 90 miles west of Boston, blew out all windows in a three-block radius, leaving three more buildings irreparably damaged and prompting emergency workers to evacuate a six-story apartment building that was buckling.

This could apply to any professional workplace in any downtown area.

The ladies who posted nailed down the essential problem: there is no practical way for a woman in professional garb to schlep a bunch of hardware around on her person. Probably not a substantial purse either.

But footwear is a good place to start. A laptop bag offers possibilities. So does the addition of N95 masks to the first aid kits that seem to be in many places on an office floor. More stuff at the desk and in the main purse. And as suggested previously, a complete car kit.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.